• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Rangers

MultiHeartGold

Legacy Supporter 2
Imho, Ranger should be more of a class that shoots from far away, but as its easier to hit many arrows and deal more damage near the opponent, people just go for IceArrow and snipe.
"Sniper", Passive, deals extra damage (maybe make it extra 50-150 damage) when the arrow travels over 35 (can be changed) blocks.
If thats possible to implement, it would make Rangers want to go further away from their enemy, and actually need some bow aim skill to kill people better. It wouldnt really make Ranger any easier to play, but would make skilled rangers and noob rangers have a difference.

EDIT: Dsawemd If with IceArrow root you meant around the start of Bastion, I remember fighting two Rangers as a Dragoon. I tried to escape from the first one instead of fighting, but it pretty much kept rooting me to ground, pretty much like a stun. Stuff like Jump didnt work and only teleported you back to the spot. Second time was a duel, and the Ranger was able to land an arrow right from the start and I felt down to 2 hearts before being able to move. (First Ranger was lv 30, second about 35 and I was level 35-37-ish.)

durmaster

Iron
Rangers seem to be pretty well balanced at the moment in my opinion.

Ranged classes in general usually take advantage of positioning better than close range fighters as previously stated, and not only on this game. Take the high ground, and when your enemy makes it near you, sprint and smack them with your bow and send them flying down the hillside, fire an arrow or two with ice arrow active, rinse and repeat. Obviously it might not be that easy, but ranged classes also generally take more skill to play.

Not to mention you can gun down most classes trying to flee with relative ease. And if they do happen to make it out of sight? Pull out the trusty compass and track em down, they couldn't have gotten very far.

Plus Rangers have some nice armor for a ranged class.

Dsawemd

Legacy Supporter 8
*some new player (Dragoon) sees Dsaw in-game*
*eats 2-3 Ice and Jumps away, rinse and repeat*
*posts sage advice on forums so Dsaw can be told basic ranged pvp strategy*
*Dsaw facepalms new player for trying to do this both in-game AND on the forums*
edit: I'm not disagreeing with your assessment, although it IS a bit quick to form your own conclusions about mastered pvp when you only are a low level...

On-topic:
"Sniper", Passive, deals extra damage (maybe make it extra 50-150 damage) when the arrow travels over "X" blocks.

I like it, although the overall damage balancing coupled with this would make Rangers even more squishy at under "X" range.

durmaster

Iron
Yes I am new to this server, but not to gaming and minecraft and heroes in general. Honestly I was just testing out the dragoons ability to escape, being new to the class and having yet to try it. I had nothing of value on me, and you even bested me in melee and almost shot me down as I was fleeing a few times. It was a good experience, but let's not make this personal.

Rangers are a good class and it was a tough choice for me between them, wizard and dragoon. If you would have snared me at any point in that fight, I probably would have died, though you did have armor on and mine had just been destroyed recently, otherwise it might not have been so. The ranged snare sounds like it would be too overpowered, but the melee snare makes more sense for survival although I believe it should be based around positioning and not easily usable in mid combat, so the ranger would have to plan ahead in the fight by using say a 5s cast time snare in a spot he will try to lure an opponent to.

mikehk

Legacy Supporter 6
BattleTactics:
Robs the target of their basic armor (chest and legs) for 6 seconds.
range: 5 blocks
stamina: 6-10
mana: 10-20%?
how would this work for balancing against dem warriors while keeping casters balanced?

Delfofthebla

Legacy Supporter 4
Retired Staff
There are two major problems with rangers.

1. They lack usefulness in teamfights.

A ranger is not able to really do that much in a teamfight in terms of straight "damage" for multiple reasons.​
First off, their arrows are blocked by party members. Naturally, the party members do not take damage, but they do block the arrow--wasting both the Ranger's mana, and his time. Due to the fact that the Ranger's damage is influenced by how much he pulls back his arrows, he will often waste a fully cocked arrow on a teammate simply because he got in the way at the last second. This is a big blow to the Ranger's usefulness.​
Second off, they are rarely able to use their class to it's full advantage. The class has an astounding 150 base damage per arrow. Unfortunately, he must pull the arrow all the way back to deal this damage. I believe it is lessened further by distance, but I haven't ever confirmed this. While pulling back an arrow, you are slowed rather extensively and forced to dedicate a considerable amount of time to perform this action. This prevents you from quickly dealing damage. Additionally, when chasing players, you are forced to use less powerful arrows in order to keep up with them. Ice arrow helps, but it does not completely solve the issue.​
2. Ranger does not have enough abilities that allow him to quickly apply damage or utility.

Every other class in the game has some form of instant cast ability. These abilities are guaranteed to land and they deal an instant effect. Casters have stuff like Piggify, Fireblast, Poison, ect. Melee has Strike, Impale, Iceblade, Eviscerate, ect. What does the ranger have? Kick. A melee ability. They also have barrage, which is a decent ability, but it's not really enough to give them the "umph" they need in quick paced fights.​

These are the two reasons I think that Ranger is not suitable as an actual combat class. It can hunt noobs pretty damn well, and their tracks are irreplaceable for a hunting party, but when it comes to the big time teamfights, Ranger is left in the dust.

Dsawemd

Legacy Supporter 8
There are two major problems with rangers.

1. They lack usefulness in teamfights.

Second off, they are rarely able to use their class to it's full advantage. The class has an astounding 150 base damage per arrow. Unfortunately, he must pull the arrow all the way back to deal this damage. I believe it is lessened​
further by distance, but I haven't ever confirmed this.​
2. Ranger does not have enough abilities that allow him to quickly apply damage or utility.

Every other class in the game has some form of instant cast ability. These abilities are guaranteed to land and they deal an instant effect. Casters have stuff like Piggify, Fireblast, Poison, ect. Melee has Strike, Impale, Iceblade, Eviscerate, ect. What does the ranger have? Kick. A melee ability. They also have barrage, which is a decent ability, but it's not really enough to give them the "umph" they need in quick paced fights.​
1. Good Rangers will be focusing a separate target with the goal of keeping them out of the action, after DoTing the team. I have iced both in twos while my partner eats.
Second off: we deal 180 dmg per arrow, and no, it isnt lessened by distance in my experience.

2. I agree that Ranger could use some burst against armored targets in exchange for some base arrow damage, but Barrage often lets me "find" the person in lag, and land 2 more arrows than I usually would.

I think Ranger is competitive, but locked in a bad place currently where the successful mechanic (ice) is very repetitive and boring for everyone involved in the pvp, the target and the shooter.