• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Ranger: Summon Wolf

Moorcaste

Legacy Supporter 3
Level 5 Skill: Wolf passive (you have the ability to train a wolf)

It appears that the skill was designed for the Ranger to be able to obtain a wolf. I have not seen a wolf from the moment i was a LOSTSOUL until level 30 Ranger (still have not seen one).

Suggestions...
Summon Wolf: Summon a trained wolf that last for 15 seconds.
Consumes cooked meat. Has a cooldown of 10 minutes.

I believe this suggest stays within the rough layout of the class skills because it replaces the train wolf with a wolf from summoning. I realize the potential of having a trained wolf all the time would be better but it appears unfeasible.

Starter Combat Skills = 1-2
Main Combat Skills = 3-4
Finisher Combat Skills = 1-2
Utility skills = 1-2

If the above suggestion is not possible then here are some backup options.
Wolf Arrow: Next arrow will summon a wolf that is targeting the person just hit.
Wolf Spawn: Up the spawn rate of Wolves.
Call of Wild: Spawns a wolf (like cow for farmer) and consumes all mana
Wolf's Retribution: If hit in the next 5 seconds then summons a wolf to defend you.

-Moorcaste

leftovers5

Legacy Supporter 8
Rangers do need a summon wolf esque skill. There is no point when you can't even train wolves in the wild unless you're a farmer, much less do anything with them.

Dsawemd

Legacy Supporter 8
Either this, or remove the farmer requirement for the current skill would be a fix.

Moorcaste

Legacy Supporter 3
Necromancer can't summon an undead minion, so a ranger summoning a wolf seems unlikely.
I am sorry, i do not understand your argument.
Perhaps you are upset that the summon skelly was removed from your class (if you been playing that long)
OR that having a wolf as a pet is still intact in the Ranger class.
I am giving suggestions for the CURRENT wolf ability to be reworked. I am not asking for a new skill that was not envisioned upon the creation of the class.
Perhaps we are both clear on the reason i made this thread.
Thank you teddytazer.

teddytazer

Soulsand
Honestly I have no problems with rangers having wolf pets, I like the Idea because when I find wild wolves I ask myself can these be trained by people and whatever happened to rangers running around with 1-5 wolf allies..

Dsawemd

Legacy Supporter 8
Necromancer can't summon an undead minion, so a ranger
summoning a wolf seems unlikely.

I understand your argument, I automatically think re-animated corpse slaves when I think necromancer. But Wolves have a head start in dev, because Mojang let them be tamed, as opposed to zombies/skellies.

Moorcaste

Legacy Supporter 3
I have not actually seen a wolf on this map from lost soul till level 30 ranger.
Even if i did, i heard there is currently a bug that only lets Farmer Ranger to train the wolf...

if true, i have to play Farmer to get the most out of my class... that seems wrong
(i hope this is not true)

leftovers5

Legacy Supporter 8
I have not actually seen a wolf on this map from lost soul till level 30 ranger.
Even if i did, i heard there is currently a bug that only lets Farmer Ranger to train the wolf...

if true, i have to play Farmer to get the most out of my class... that seems wrong
(i hope this is not true)
It is sadly true. Kainzo , this needs more attention than you might realize. :(

Roadkill909

ICE ICE ICE!
Having a wolf ally might be nice. One thing that concerns me though is that the wolf AI has some issues. if I remember right. They used to go right into lava or off a cliff. The reason I said "If I remember right" is I have seen maybe two wolves all map, and as a ranger I can't tame them because of the bug. Also wolves seem to be very very weak, I can knock them out with one arrow. At best they are a distraction.

I'm more in favor of trading this (and fire arrow) for some better skills, preferably an armor ignoring arrow power or one of the other skills I suggested in the fire arrow removal thread.

Edit: Also do not make the reagent cooked beef. You already realize one problem with tame wolf now is the fact that passive mobs are incredibly rare. Why on earth would you make summonwolf possible by finding and killing cows?! Cows are just as rare as wolves.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Having a wolf ally might be nice. One thing that concerns me though is that the wolf AI has some issues. if I remember right. They used to go right into lava or off a cliff. The reason I said "If I remember right" is I have seen maybe two wolves all map, and as a ranger I can't tame them because of the bug. Also wolves seem to be very very weak, I can knock them out with one arrow. At best they are a distraction.

I'm more in favor of trading this (and fire arrow) for some better skills, preferably an armor ignoring arrow power or one of the other skills I suggested in the fire arrow removal thread.

Edit: Also do not make the reagent cooked beef. You already realize one problem with tame wolf now is the fact that passive mobs are incredibly rare. Why on earth would you make summonwolf possible by finding and killing cows?! Cows are just as rare as wolves.
After the next patch/restart - try taming them again. Worldguard I believe "buffs" wolfs AI.

awsumguy75321

Obsidian
After the next patch/restart - try taming them again. Worldguard I believe "buffs" wolfs AI.
When will that be? Also, could you /tp some rangers to you to test it or something while you spawn them using spawn eggs? I'd be willing to test it.

Moorcaste

Legacy Supporter 3
It will will be fun to finally have a wolf.
Oh, i would give up fire arrow for a 1-day cool down summon wolf egg skill :)

EvilThor

Legacy Supporter 3
It will will be fun to finally have a wolf.
Oh, i would give up fire arrow for a 1-day cool down summon wolf egg skill :)
I was a ranger last map, and in the end I found out that having a wolf was a cool ability,
but not worth it at all..
This ment that there was always a risk of a random wolf to tp to you, since if someone decided to right click the sitting wolf..
And if you bring a wolf into no PVP area people can knock out the wolf using one skill, or hit them once..

Wolfs are at best distraction, but in most cases they just run around in the area close to the owner..

But having a wolf is still a cool ability :p