• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion [PvE] Dungeons

Iarbobray

Legacy Supporter 2
Imagine, you walk through a dimly lit hall, with your closest friends and allies at your side. Everything is quiet, except for the faint shuffling of feet. As you walk forward, you see an opening to a room, then suddenly, zombies and skeletons appear, preventing you from continuing! Your healers keep you alive and able, and the warriors make sure no one is killed. The monsters are dispersed, and you feel that you get slightly richer. Your group continues forward, and the door shuts behind you. The room is massive, high enough to dragoon jump, and not even be a 1/4 of the way to the top. Then, you hear the screeching of ghasts, the hissing of creepers, and the footsteps of giants. The battle has begun.

(I apologize for bad descriptions/writing, but hopefully you get the idea.)

DUNGEONS

Basically, what I'm suggesting is a dungeon or two, to test player's skills against monsters. These dungeons would be a large winding passage of tunnels and rooms. Only the most skilled players could survive, and only if they brought friends. I'd like to thank this thread for inspiring me to suggest this.

Layout

The layout of the dungeons would be fairly easy to manage. The dungeon would consist of around 15 rooms, each one different. A room could be more then a room, it could be a tunnel, a passage, or a giant cavern. Each room would spawn mobs, and after all the mobs are cleared, a bit of money or items are given to each player. A layout to a dungeon might be this:

Opening room->Tunnel->Tunnel->Small Room->Passage->Boss room->Tunnel->Cave system->Final

That would be just a quick dungeon, with not many rewards. As you can see, each room leads to something else, and it would follow a path to lead to a "Boss" that would give money. If you make it to the "Final" you would get a lot of rewards.

Mobs

Mobs would probably be in large groups. They would have to be hard enough to challenge a group of at least 20 players. The first room might host 10 skeletons and 20 zombies, but a boss room might have 15 skeletons, 2 ghasts, 10 zombie pigman, and a giant. The numbers will probably scale with the number of people inside of the dungeon, but be harder to do with less people (Such as with 1 person there's 2 skeletons and 6 zombies in the first room.)

Boss/Final Rooms

A boss room would be a room with a large amount of "easy mobs" and a small amount of "Omgwtfisthiswe'rescrewed" mobs. So, say 15 zombies, 15 skeletons, 3 creepers, 5 pig zombies, a ghast, and a giant might be a boss room. The rewards would be large then other rooms. A Final Room would consist of a lot "Omgwtfisthiswe'rescrewed" mobs and a little bit of easy mobs. A final room would look like this: 5 zombies, 2 skeletons, 3 creepers, 5 ghasts, 2 giants, 17 wolfs, and 25 zombie pigmen. The rewards would be one of the best ways to get money, as you would get at least 75c. However, final rooms will be so hard people will be expected to wipe as soon as they enter.

Rewards

Rewards would be easy to manage. You would get some random item out of a random list like: A gold nugget, 3 lapis, 5 raw pork, 2 sticks, a diamond, 5 cobblestone, and one gold bar. (List from most common to least) Boss rooms would remove the items pork, sticks, and cobblestone and you have a small chance of getting a reroll and get another hit at the list. Finally, final rooms (aiming at bad pun) would have amazing loot. This would be a list that would work: 5 lapis blocks, 15 mossy stone bricks, 15 cracked stone bricks, 32 glowstone, 3 diamonds blocks, or 1 gold block. (Most common to least) Also, if one could clear a final room 5 times, they would get the title [Dungeon Master] (hopefully)

How this could work

Now, you may be wondering, "how hard would this be to make?" or "how hard would it be to code?" And here's my answer: I don't know. I only know a little, tiny bit of html, and that is easy! (You can't even program with that!) What I was thinking is that you could modify the mob arena plugin. For every room you enter, you encounter a wave of mobs or two. Each wave would be specific to a room (or coords?) Rewards would be dealt in the same way as in the mob arena. I apologize if I just suggested an impossible mod. Though, you could use mob spawners and pistons. Just have a dark room with mob spawners underneath. When people walk in, pistons lower, allowing mobs to spawn, and people would have to fight for a time set by repeater/delayers.

Other Info

It would be expensive to enter the dungeons. You would bring your own items, not click a sign. A teleport is offered out before the final room. I was running out of time so the last couple paragraphs and this one were rushed. I apologize for poor writing.

Thank you for reading this, please post comments about this! Also note I have not looked over this due to lack of time so there will be errors. Also expect this not to be in the best state. I will make edits for my other ideas that include more detail explaining.

Iarbobray

Legacy Supporter 2
I'd talk to @Danda, He's heading up the dungeon team
Well now I feel kind of stupid because I totally forgot about them. I've never really been in one of their dungeons so I didn't think about it. However this isn't just a dungeon, it's also about the integration of plugins to dungeons.

agentjwall

Godly
Well now I feel kind of stupid because I totally forgot about them. I've never really been in one of their dungeons so I didn't think about it. However this isn't just a dungeon, it's also about the integration of plugins to dungeons.

As far as I know that's the direction their already heading. But like I said before, Talk to Danda, I'm not part of the DT so I don't know the specifics...

Danda

Dungeon Master Extremist
Staff member
Administrator
Guide
Wiki Team
Max Legacy Supporter
We already draughted up something simillar to this as a starter dungeon :p
It wasn't as difficult as the one you mentioned but since there is a want for it >:]

Glent

Glowing Redstone
I don't like the idea of linear dungeons like the OP has described. IMO dungeons should have various paths to explore aswell as puzzles ranging from simply finding a lever to sequences and other such stuff. The OP's vision of "go down these tunnels and occasionally enter a bigger room then kill the boss" seems really plain.

Danda

Dungeon Master Extremist
Staff member
Administrator
Guide
Wiki Team
Max Legacy Supporter
I don't like the idea of linear dungeons like the OP has described. IMO dungeons should have various paths to explore aswell as puzzles ranging from simply finding a lever to sequences and other such stuff. The OP's vision of "go down these tunnels and occasionally enter a bigger room then kill the boss" seems really plain.
I completely agree, but that was the plan from the start :p
I may even throw in some troll paths that do nothing but kill you

Iarbobray

Legacy Supporter 2
Having side rooms and paths with maybe loops would of been one of things I edit in ;)

Also, Dungeons, yay! Dungeon team is cool, sorry for forgetting :(

TheTMTrainer

Soulsand
Make dungeons ungriefable, have loot regen, and make it have like... a 5 minute run timer. So that people have to really run though the dungeon to get the loot.

Danda

Dungeon Master Extremist
Staff member
Administrator
Guide
Wiki Team
Max Legacy Supporter
Make dungeons ungriefable, have loot regen, and make it have like... a 5 minute run timer. So that people have to really run though the dungeon to get the loot.
You cannot build on the dungeon map apart from a few select places.
Loot will not regen it will be generated once you have finished the dungeon the first time.
and there will be timers for some traps but not all.

TheTMTrainer

Soulsand
You cannot build on the dungeon map apart from a few select places.
Loot will not regen it will be generated once you have finished the dungeon the first time.
and there will be timers for some traps but not all.

I mean, timers to kick you out. I can see people relaxing in 1 room, holding up everyone.

Danda

Dungeon Master Extremist
Staff member
Administrator
Guide
Wiki Team
Max Legacy Supporter
I mean, timers to kick you out. I can see people relaxing in 1 room, holding up everyone.
Each individual room will have it's own separate trigger for spawning mobs. You will be able to enter the rooms where the mobs are regardless of whether someone else is in the room. I also want to have PVP enabled on the world but ultimately that last one isn't my decision :p