• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Protection IV Armor: Taken Out?

So, protection IV armor was recently taken out of enchanting, but what was the point of that if all of the protection IV armor in the game still works? I think that since prot IV was taken out of enchanting it should just be made useless altogether. It's unfair to players like me who are new, or recently rejoined who don't have access to the armor.

Just a suggestion,
-blu

what777

Max Legacy Supporter
I have the armor, but I still agree. It's stupid, it makes people that have the armor much stronger.Heroes is already difficult for new players, and if vets have better gear too it's even more difficult.

Jrr_

Architect
Balance Team
Adventure Team
Legacy Supporter 3
should limit protection to I or II imo.

Dsawemd

Legacy Supporter 8
Honestly I am surprised a change to enchants was made mid-map. Usually they plan changes like that better.

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8
Honestly I am surprised a change to enchants was made mid-map. Usually they plan changes like that better.
It was a Hot-Fix to appease the masses.
Really, it was done as a quick way to stop more from being made while they hopefully attempt to balance it out.

Maybe limit Prot to 1 or 2 Via enchanting, and give prot 4 out as super rare Event Items.

Dakinara

Legacy Supporter 6
i agree it should be removed entirely - if it cant be removed from individual pieces of armor, could protection value just be set to 0 so it in effect does nothing?

Avoir

Obsidian
First off, you're not a new player and secondly go mining for about 1 hour and buy a set of prot 4 armour. Many players made armour in mass quantities so finding a seller is not hard... Just stop complaining and work for your equipments.

kenster1092

Legacy Supporter 1
I worked hard to enchant protection III/IV for my townies and allies, and it ended up well... As a matter of fact I also enchanted tons of armor sets for my own use, all prot... You should learn the value of work one of these days....

Last edited:

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8
As someone who has been around a while, i can agree that you have to work for your gear. However, Prot 4 really did give an advantage to those with it.
I don't walk around in my Prot 4 armor with my sharp 5 hoe, cause they feel unfair in unorganized world PvP. In organized battles where everyone is bringing good gear it's a different story. Walking into someone wear Prot 4 armor sucks if you're a mele class, I'm lucky that I'm not, but it makes my mele even less effective. Protection and Resistence were 2 of the things that scared me most for HC, they had the potential to mess a lot of balance up. Luckily, Resistance was handled, but it looks like protections potency was missed. Hopefully we see a reintroduction of protection, but in a less "I have Prot 4 you don't i win" manner.

Dakinara

Legacy Supporter 6
I have stockpiles but i still think it should be removed. Why we always seem to encourage situations that make it hard for new / returning players to compete i will never understand.

If devs think the game is better with prot armor, then leave it in. If they dont, just take it out completely. I hope they redo enchanting for weapons / armor entirely with attributes at some point but no idea if that is still in the cards.

Dsawemd

Legacy Supporter 8
First off, you're not a new player and secondly go mining for about 1 hour and buy a set of prot 4 armour. Many players made armour in mass quantities so finding a seller is not hard... Just stop complaining and work for your equipments.
This logic only applies so long as there is a supply of prot IV to buy, and we have no mechanic in place to measure the available supply of prot IV that people are holding for themselves.

Because of the new enchant restrictions and the way that repairs work, you can expect vets, especially top-tier vets, to be able to have prot IV for much longer than the general public.

Such imbalances are difficult to correct. I have no idea how to proceed from here, except to regretfully suggest that:
A) Prot IV enchants are restored for the duration of Haven.
OR
B) some admin uses Hax to steal every single prot IV piece of armor and replace it with the prot III equivalent.

CoolBeans279

Legacy Supporter 3
This logic only applies so long as there is a supply of prot IV to buy, and we have no mechanic in place to measure the available supply of prot IV that people are holding for themselves.

Because of the new enchant restrictions and the way that repairs work, you can expect vets, especially top-tier vets, to be able to have prot IV for much longer than the general public.

Such imbalances are difficult to correct. I have no idea how to proceed from here, except to regretfully suggest that:
A) Prot IV enchants are restored for the duration of Haven.
OR
B) some admin uses Hax to steal every single prot IV piece of armor and replace it with the prot III equivalent.
I was smart and during the 1k boost weekend i went enchanter, made tons of armor for me, went smith. But still i feel kinda bad for the newer players, or vet players just coming back. I say restore prot IV for the duration of haven, or remove prot IV all together.

peeeeeeeeeew

PewPew
Legacy Supporter 5
Removing the possibility to enchant it was nice, but didn't solve the problem. Prot IV as we all know is incredibly inbalanced. @TrueCorruptor had tested his damage on a paladin with full prot IV, and him as a disciple did what, 7 damage with a melee attack? Prot armour just needs their values set to 0 so no additional resistances are added, because PvPing against people with prot armour is a clear disadvantage to anyone without it.

blugauga, you aren't new, and you played this map, but I agree with what you're saying.

Dakinara

Legacy Supporter 6
yes prot armor is just bad for gameplay mechanics because at the high defensive ends (good armor and prot) it basically makes melee attacks pointless and only abilities matter, and certain classes are much more balanced around abilities for damage / healing than others.

This isnt to say that certain classes shouldnt have advantages over others. A paladin should stand up well to a physical based class because its assumed the paladin will have high armor. But the prot enchant is just too much on top since it applies after armor reduction at a flat rate, making melee attacks pointless rather than just significantly weakened.

Last edited:

Yavool

Legacy Supporter 9
Trying to think outside the box here: I wonder if there would be a way to limit Prot 3 & 4 armor to tank classes (thinking Paladin atm). That might be a nice way to keep it in the game, allow for some sort of economy with regard to the enchantment of armor, and give pallys a perk (perhaps balance their ability to wear better armor with some sort of reduced damage output).

-yav

Xhazed

Portal
/remove protIV f
Trying to think outside the box here: I wonder if there would be a way to limit Prot 3 & 4 armor to tank classes (thinking Paladin atm). That might be a nice way to keep it in the game, allow for some sort of economy with regard to the enchantment of armor, and give pallys a perk (perhaps balance their ability to wear better armor with some sort of reduced damage output).

-yav
those are the classes that shouldnt have it since they already have high armor

what777

Max Legacy Supporter
/remove protIV f

those are the classes that shouldnt have it since they already have high armor

for once I agree...
paladin is stupid with prot, I remember last map as samurai taking more dmg from thorns than I was dealing to the pally.

JupiterRome

Legacy Supporter 5
I worked hard to enchant protection III/IV for my townies and allies, and it ended up well... As a matter of fact I also enchanted tons of armor sets for my own use, all prot... You should learn the value of work one of these days....
Yeah Guys, Putting Gold in a crafting Table is Very VERY VERY VERY HARD JUST GIVE THIS GUY HIS CREDIT HE DID IT HE SHOULD GET A MEDEL

kenster1092

Legacy Supporter 1

-yav
Limiting protection to ONLY Warriors would put them at a huge advantage... Plus, the reduced damage output would make no sense at all... If Warriors could only be the ones to wear protection armor, they would be completely unkillable as it can easily kill off all the other classes that can't wear protection armor, so to speak...

IT's either nerf Protection, or just plain remove it from HC (which is done already. Well, the enchantability that is). Period.

Xhazed

Portal
Limiting protection to ONLY Warriors would put them at a huge advantage... Plus, the reduced damage output would make no sense at all... If Warriors could only be the ones to wear protection armor, they would be completely unkillable as it can easily kill off all the other classes that can't wear protection armor, so to speak...

IT's either nerf Protection, or just plain remove it from HC. Period.
Finally something smart i give this a +10 for the contest