• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Project Resolution Enhancement

Alator

Ancient Soul
Legacy Supporter 7
Remastered Tier 2 Supporter
So, on a whim I am going to start trying to slowly bring up the resolution of my minecraft skin. The base template is 64x32 pixels in size, and by doubling the dimensions of the template you can double the resolution of the image. I knew if I went straight for a 1024x512 skin, I would crash and burn and get discouraged, so I decided to go up one step at a time. Pardon the image size, but it helps to show the differences.

It took me about 3-4 hours to go from the base image to the 1x enhancement with a few breaks.

Stay tuned for more updates!

Base Skin (64x32)
Standard Resolution.png
1x Enhancement (128x64)
1x resolution increase.png

2x Enhancement (256x128)
step3finished.png

Alator

Ancient Soul
Legacy Supporter 7
You can make them but you need a mod/client that supports them. You can't upload them to minecraft.net.

Alator

Ancient Soul
Legacy Supporter 7
Teaser alert!

Gotta love exponential multiplication ;)

base_1x_2x heads.png

Alator

Ancient Soul
Legacy Supporter 7
Draconis is a Spout Top Donator, so they worked it into the Spout plugin itself for his username.

If Herocraft ever allows HD skins to players for microtransactions or whatnot, I may start doing 1x enhancements for free, and give away a full series (up to 4x enhancement) as a reward for things. PvP tourneys and such. (Although, that assumes I can actually make the high-res ones look any good, haha.

Nalestom

Legacy Supporter 3
Do you actually remake them, or do you just re-size and touch up?

I am also curious as to how you make them. Is it as simple as editing the .png file in Paint or Photoshop, or is there a specific skin-editing tool that you use?

Alator

Ancient Soul
Legacy Supporter 7
What I'm doing is using a program called MCSkin3D. It has a feature that allows you to increase the resolution of a skin file. So I work my up in steps. When you initially up the resolution, it doesn't change the skin, just doubles the dimensions per pixel, if that makes sense. So a 1x1 pixel of purple become a 2x2 pixel of purple. I then edit the skin for the new resolution, and move on to the next step.

Maybe at some point I can go straight to the HD skin, but not yet.

HolyRane

Legacy Supporter 7
What I'm doing is using a program called MCSkin3D. It has a feature that allows you to increase the resolution of a skin file. So I work my up in steps. When you initially up the resolution, it doesn't change the skin, just doubles the dimensions per pixel, if that makes sense. So a 1x1 pixel of purple become a 2x2 pixel of purple. I then edit the skin for the new resolution, and move on to the next step.

Maybe at some point I can go straight to the HD skin, but not yet.
Would it be possible to pay people via in game coins to make these? There was a similar service on another server I played on. In game coins -> Skin shops. ^_^

Alator

Ancient Soul
Legacy Supporter 7
Possibly, but I won't make a full series for someone until I finish mine. In the near future, I'll probably offer a 1x enhancement for free, and then go from there.

Today's final update! Will work more this weekend!
Current status of 2x enhancement:
update.png

Nalestom

Legacy Supporter 3
I would most definitely pay in-game money for you to enhance my skin, haha. Your 2x enhancement looks absolutely amazing.