• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Professions Ideas

Nater_Tater

Legacy Supporter 7
#1 Beast Master
With the release of wolves coming in 1.4 (If Notch doesn't screw it up) I believe a Beast Master class is in order. They will have the soul ability to control wolves and the ammount they can control is based on their level. Levels could be gained by killing mobs, getting kills with your wolves, and taming the wolves themselves.

#2 Modify the Smith
Since smith's will be the only ones to be able to create armor, why not leave creating leather armor to everyone. Doesn't take much skill to sew some leather together and make crude armor.

#3 Warlock/Magic class add on
We all know wizards and whatnot all have a levitation spell of sorts. So why not give our heroes one. Duration and max height of levitation would be based on your level in the magic class.

#4 Blood Magic
Necromancers drain health from living things in books/movies so having that in the profession that deals with the undead would mesh together well. I'll leave the mechanics of this up to the people.

#5 Combat and Skill Classes
So from what I know you can only choose one class, being it something like smith or paladin. I think that's a bit limiting because you need to rely on others too much. Most games with a profession system similar to herocraft's allows the choice of one combat and one skill class. Its cool to have to rely on other people, but not too much. If every smith got together and charged 2000c for a set of iron armor, you pay that or you get no armor. Period. Very easy to abuse, you know?

Well thanks for reading. I had no idea where the professions suggestion thread was so I put it here. I'll post any other ideas I come up with.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Armadyl said:
#1 Beast Master
With the release of wolves coming in 1.4 (If Notch doesn't screw it up) I believe a Beast Master class is in order. They will have the soul ability to control wolves and the ammount they can control is based on their level. Levels could be gained by killing mobs, getting kills with your wolves, and taming the wolves themselves.

#2 Modify the Smith
Since smith's will be the only ones to be able to create armor, why not leave creating leather armor to everyone. Doesn't take much skill to sew some leather together and make crude armor.

#3 Warlock/Magic class add on
We all know wizards and whatnot all have a levitation spell of sorts. So why not give our heroes one. Duration and max height of levitation would be based on your level in the magic class.

#4 Blood Magic
Necromancers drain health from living things in books/movies so having that in the profession that deals with the undead would mesh together well. I'll leave the mechanics of this up to the people.

#5 Combat and Skill Classes
So from what I know you can only choose one class, being it something like smith or paladin. I think that's a bit limiting because you need to rely on others too much. Most games with a profession system similar to herocraft's allows the choice of one combat and one skill class. Its cool to have to rely on other people, but not too much. If every smith got together and charged 2000c for a set of iron armor, you pay that or you get no armor. Period. Very easy to abuse, you know?

Well thanks for reading. I had no idea where the professions suggestion thread was so I put it here. I'll post any other ideas I come up with.

Sorting through some server issues and MYSQL i'll reply to this when I have more time.

Capn_Danger

Legacy Supporter 5
I think the most important thing is to not go crazy adding too many features at first. I've heard we're doing this in stages, I'd much prefer to see a smaller but well-balanced set of classes at first than to pull a Notch and release a lot of buggy or broken features.

I do have a number of concerns about class balance on the listed professions, but that list is a few weeks old so I don't know how accurate it is anymore.

RightLegRed

Stone
Capn_Danger said:
I think the most important thing is to not go crazy adding too many features at first. I've heard we're doing this in stages, I'd much prefer to see a smaller but well-balanced set of classes at first than to pull a Notch and release a lot of buggy or broken features.

I do have a number of concerns about class balance on the listed professions, but that list is a few weeks old so I don't know how accurate it is anymore.

The professions will be easy to change. Tweaking them won't be hard.
This plugin will go under extensive testing too. To make sure we don't pull a notch. But if we do, we'll sit on our asses for a year and then introduce wolfs for you guys.

AfroDave

Legacy Supporter 3
Im against mages flying. Mabye walk on water? Or have a temp speed boost. But flying is a little to much in my opinion.

Capn_Danger

Legacy Supporter 5
AfroDave said:
Im against mages flying. Mabye walk on water? Or have a temp speed boost. But flying is a little to much in my opinion.

I like the idea of very limited flight for mages, or maybe a jump spell. It would have to be something the mage could only do once in a while, and then for a short period of time.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
1) We've had ideas of implementing beast masters - all users could tame one but beast masters could tame many. (still in design)
2) The smith, at the start, was going to have the soul ability to repair armor, weapons, and tools. We will probably break this up even further into different levels - Lvl 1 can repair tools, level 5 weapons, level 10 armor. The creation restriction portion of this has not been implemented or designed - leather/chain will more than likely be creatable by everyone - we dont want to restrict -everything- (and this will not be in at launch 80% sure)
3) Mage is now being renamed to MAGI - We do not believe levi spells are very inline with our server - a blink spell of sorts will be in - if we can find a levi spell that is very situational, we will bring it in.
4) The necro base ability is set in - no other abilities have been set the second round of abilities will be implemented as time allows - you can bet your ass - the base line ability for a necro will be to drain life.
5) An RPG system and MMO world - is a world where you need to rely on some of the other players - we dont plan to vastly change this outcome. If every smith wanted to charge 2000c for armor - you can exercise your right of justice (ie killing and taking said armor ;) - we'll ensure that its balanced and fair for everyone - we dont want to restrict the game play entirely but by different choices we will be able to enhance it.

Nater_Tater

Legacy Supporter 7
Kainzo said:
1) We've had ideas of implementing beast masters - all users could tame one but beast masters could tame many. (still in design)
2) The smith, at the start, was going to have the soul ability to repair armor, weapons, and tools. We will probably break this up even further into different levels - Lvl 1 can repair tools, level 5 weapons, level 10 armor. The creation restriction portion of this has not been implemented or designed - leather/chain will more than likely be creatable by everyone - we dont want to restrict -everything- (and this will not be in at launch 80% sure)
3) Mage is now being renamed to MAGI - We do not believe levi spells are very inline with our server - a blink spell of sorts will be in - if we can find a levi spell that is very situational, we will bring it in.
4) The necro base ability is set in - no other abilities have been set the second round of abilities will be implemented as time allows - you can bet your ass - the base line ability for a necro will be to drain life.
5) An RPG system and MMO world - is a world where you need to rely on some of the other players - we dont plan to vastly change this outcome. If every smith wanted to charge 2000c for armor - you can exercise your right of justice (ie killing and taking said armor ;) - we'll ensure that its balanced and fair for everyone - we dont want to restrict the game play entirely but by different choices we will be able to enhance it.

Thanks for the feedback and info:icon_mrgreen:

samsoccerboyz

Legacy Supporter 5
AARGHHHHHHHHH Kain I am sorry, but I must be a grammar Nazi. You opened a parenthase, but didn't end it. Also I support the beastmaster ideas and the smith idea.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
yeah - sometimes I have run on sentences - other time I misuse the use of )'s

Also - due to tam tam by the coding team - we're keeping the Mage profession named "mage" since "magi" is plural and was a tard mistake on my end - despite it sounding nice and FF3 like.

7thKnight

Legacy Supporter 7
Me and my friend were discussing that maybe elementalists could summon a cobblestone wall in front of them as an earth spell of some sorts to cover more elements. Just putting in my two cents.

gabizou

Sage of World Making
Architect
Legacy Supporter 7
Kainzo said:
yeah - sometimes I have run on sentences - other time I misuse the use of )'s

Also - due to tam tam by the coding team - we're keeping the Mage profession named "mage" since "magi" is plural and was a tard mistake on my end - despite it sounding nice and FF3 like.

But but but, FF3 was awesome, we should name them magi. Even though magi is really just missing that c for the immense power used in FF3 XD

On a side note, elementalists should be able to summon earth stuff like a dirt hut around them or something like that.