• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Proctor Role

WitchOnaRampage

Legacy Supporter 9
I'd rather see it be a specific-permission group, not a blanket perm for Guides. Guides are appointed for their helpfulness, knowledge and a certain amount of maturity. A high level of discretion about chat standards isn't a specific requirement for Guides.

My preference - indeed my personal approach - would be to temp mute where possible BEFORE the situation escalates too far, and talk things through with the player in a pm. Then if things look calm, reinstate the chat perms. I'd rather not wait until they've gone "too far". And there have been many instances of players getting so worked up they don't see pms warning them to stop, so being able to mute early would be helpful.

If I only had the option of a mute that I couldn't undo, personally I'd be less inclined to mute. But then, I'm a softy.

jan9f

Legacy Supporter 3
Guides used to, they lost it because it was abused (People would close PE's about their friends or town or what have you). it was so bad it just got removed entirely.
Then perhaps we need to look not at the permission, but at the people holding it.

Pugglez_

Legacy Supporter 3
If it was given to Proctor or Guide, I would say to limit them being able to mute for only certain chat rules broken such as advertising.

According to the server rules, many people should already have been muted under...

• Harassing, threatening, embarrassing, giving unwanted attention or discomfort to another player.
However, even when there is a Mod or Admin in chat the moment someone breaks that rule, they do not get muted most likely because they are so used to seeing that kind of toxicity level that it isn't worth the mute unless it was very extreme.

Many people have different views on what harassment levels. So I propose that Proctor or whatever position this mute permission will be given to can only mute for certain chat rules broken.

RagingDragon5

Portal
If it was given to Proctor or Guide, I would say to limit them being able to mute for only certain chat rules broken such as advertising.

According to the server rules, many people should already have been muted under...

However, even when there is a Mod or Admin in chat the moment someone breaks that rule, they do not get muted most likely because they are so used to seeing that kind of toxicity level that it isn't worth the mute unless it was very extreme.

Many people have different views on what harassment levels. So I propose that Proctor or whatever position this mute permission will be given to can only mute for certain chat rules broken.

That is why a temp-mute will be more effective. When insults are thrown, most of the time the person isn't really hating on the other. It could just be a friendly joke between those two. It would be the job of the muter to distinguish the real intention of the comment either by asking the victim or be observing responses and such.

Now if the rules are purposefully not being enforced because there is a certain limit, then I believe the Chat Rules should be brought up into the rules council and altered to give a more detail of what is and isn't allowed.

Edit: I do see your point though.

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8
A Temp-Mute perm seems to be the best suggestion so far.

Temp mute perms in O,H,T,Re,Tour, and possibly Elite chats. Upon temp mute (Lasts 1 day or until overridden by Mod+) the muter sends screenshots and time logs of what was said, any warnings given, and anything else pertaining to the mute. Either a Head Muter is assigned (Could be 1 specific Mod or Admin) or just a Mod+ is chosen at random and messaged.

I'm interested to see what @Moderators or @Admins (Who aren't Cake of the Lightning variety) have to say. Would this be beneficial to you guys? Would another position helping with mutes be desirable or do you guys think you have this under control enough to the point where this would just cause more trouble than it would help?

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8
I suggested it, you guys ignored me!
I did not! You are part of the "A Temp-Mute perm seems to be the best suggestion so far."
It just seems most of the posts here agree with that statement, and I wanted to see if other staff felt the same. I know the workload can vary on you guys, and there a lot of players willing to find small ways to help out (Like I said, I'm not even sure if you guys need/want the help).

RagingDragon5

Portal
A Temp-Mute perm seems to be the best suggestion so far.

Temp mute perms in O,H,T,Re,Tour, and possibly Elite chats. Upon temp mute (Lasts 1 day or until overridden by Mod+) the muter sends screenshots and time logs of what was said, any warnings given, and anything else pertaining to the mute. Either a Head Muter is assigned (Could be 1 specific Mod or Admin) or just a Mod+ is chosen at random and messaged.

I'm interested to see what [USERGROUP=12][USERGROUP=12]@Moderators[/USERGROUP][/USERGROUP] or [USERGROUP=9][USERGROUP=9]@Admins[/USERGROUP][/USERGROUP] (Who aren't Cake of the Lightning variety) have to say. Would this be beneficial to you guys? Would another position helping with mutes be desirable or do you guys think you have this under control enough to the point where this would just cause more trouble than it would help?

1 day kind of seems to long, especially since a mod+ might not be able to see if it was really a mute worthy thing due to them being busy. I believe 1-3 hours may be a good amount.

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8
1 day kind of seems to long, especially since a mod+ might not be able to see if it was really a mute worthy thing due to them being busy. I believe 1-3 hours may be a good amount.
The main reason I said 1 day, is because what is the point of muting someone 12 times if a Mod or Admin isn't available? I'm all for finding a better time that 1 day if that's too long.

TimForReal

AdminForReal
Rules Council
Architect
Herald
Event Team
Max Legacy Supporter
A temp-mute feature could be useful as Mod+ can't always be on. I think 1 hour should do this trick, this eliminates the need for appeals and more of a work load on Staff - the mutes could then in turn be reported to Mods through forum conversations or Staff forums. The mutes needing to be escalated could then be handled by Mod+.

The choice really is up to Kainzo.

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8
A temp-mute feature could be useful as Mod+ can't always be on. I think 1 hour should do this trick, this eliminates the need for appeals and more of a work load on Staff - the mutes could then in turn be reported to Mods through forum conversations or Staff forums. The mutes needing to be escalated could then be handled by Mod+.

The choice really is up to Kainzo.
@Kainzo grace us with your presence?

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
I'd prefer Proctors to help review applications (pre screening) but that's a big job...
or perhaps we could have them assign petitions..

I dont think we need more mutes... tbh haha

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8
I'd prefer Proctors to help review applications (pre screening) but that's a big job...

Applications? You mean staff ones? But doesn't staff review staff apps? :confused:

Irishman81

Senior Staff
Guide
Architect
Balance Team
Legacy Supporter 7

That was what I was told the new job would be, but I never got any real confirmation. But you'd also be surprised to see what sort of things are said when staff isn't on.

WitchOnaRampage

Legacy Supporter 9
That was what I was told the new job would be, but I never got any real confirmation. But you'd also be surprised to see what sort of things are said when staff isn't on.
Yes, this is the point. It's when there are no Mods or Admins or Founders around to keep an eye on things...

GriffTV

Legacy Supporter 4
I completely agree that proctor should be brought back and have some new roles! Maybe not so much like a moderator but maybe yes, like you said, moderate the chats and hand picked by upper staff, but have similar perms to mods basically to me defeats the purpose to moderator when that is what they already do. I believe they should whitelist like before and have similar stuff as before but more moderation of chat from proctors :)