• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Proctor Role

Irishman81

Senior Staff
Guide
Architect
Balance Team
Legacy Supporter 7
For a while now, proctors have been pretty much useless, something I have been disappointed with. I'm proposing a revamp of the team, to be something completly different than it's former state.

I'm suggesting having a select few proctors (5-8) that would basically act as moderators for public chats (o, t, h, re, g)

I'm suggesting this
1. Because sometimes chat can get pretty bad, and mods are usually pretty busy, and
2. Because proctors need a job, as I already stated.

Some people might say, "oh that's a terrible idea because proctors can be corrupt." Well I would say they will be no different from mods, more trusted staff members that Kain/admins trust to keep the peace in chat.

Let me know what you guys think
@Kainzo [USERGROUP=9]@Admins[/USERGROUP] [USERGROUP=12]@Moderators[/USERGROUP]

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8
+1

Chat gets terrible sometimes.
A Chat Mod position wouldn't be the worst thing. Perms for O, H and T (Leave tour chat to the guides, it's all we get :p)
I don't think they should get Gmute perms however. Just perms to keep people off the main public ones.

Jloy1

Legacy Supporter 7
This seems like a decent idea. It's worth at least putting this on trial to see how effective it can be as it can be pretty bad at times. +1 from me.

WitchOnaRampage

Legacy Supporter 9
We'd need clear guidelines on what's meant by "terrible".

Some stuff I find very offensive many players just consider normal. Like casual references to rape etc. Actually, "yur mom/girlfriend last night" comments too. So I tend to ignore it because I know that's a war I'm not going to win here.

What I'm saying is that cultural understandings and personal experiences change how we understand "terrible", and indeed what triggers us.

Maybe no one else wants or needs to consider this in such detail and I'm fine with that - I just really like having clarity, and I'd find the discussion immensely interesting :D.

jan9f

Legacy Supporter 3

Some stuff I find very offensive many players just consider normal. Like casual references to rape etc. Actually, "yur mom/girlfriend last night" comments too. So I tend to ignore it because I know that's a war I'm not going to win here.

What I'm saying is that cultural understandings and personal experiences change how we understand "terrible", and indeed what triggers us.

Maybe no one else wants or needs to consider this in such detail and I'm fine with that - I just really like having clarity, and I'd find the discussion immensely interesting :D.
Sure, it's not necessarily my place to voice my opinion on this, but I just don't think it's very logical to crack down on the "ur mom/girlfriend" stuff. It's an internet community, toxicity and immaturity are inevitable.

TimForReal

AdminForReal
Rules Council
Architect
Herald
Event Team
Max Legacy Supporter
An interesting feature might be a temp-mute ability.

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8

The way I see these working, they would be shortly muted. The proctor would then report to either Head Proctor/Mod. If they deem it non-mute worth it is removed. If they deem it worthy it stays.

They would server as fast acting temp mutes. And then Mods & Admins can decide if further punishment is needed.

RagingDragon5

Portal
Maybe a temp-mute that lasts up until an hour or two. Anyone seen abusing this should also be stripped of their staff roles.

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8
Personally i'd like to see guides have those chat perms and proctor do something else. Just me though.
I believe it's been stated Guide's won't get them. (Am I thinking of PE's instead? I might be)
I don't remember who said it though so I might be imagining it.
Anyone can correct me however.

j2gay

Legacy Supporter 6

When I had mute perms I would give a warning or two and then mute for the type of stuff your talking about. We really just don't need that type of garbage in the open chats. Its offensive and adds nothing.

RagingDragon5

Portal
If it does happen I believe these should be the steps:

1. Take screenshots of the person breaking chat rules, and of you warning them. (If you missed screenshots record the date and time.)
2. If they don't follow the 2 or 3 warnings the proctor, the proctor then mutes them.
3. They post the screenshots on their staff forum list to where the mods/admins can look over them to see if they need to be muted longer.

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8
If it does happen I believe these should be the steps:

1. Take screenshots of the person breaking chat rules, and of you warning them. (If you missed screenshots record the date and time.)
2. If they don't follow the 2 or 3 warnings the proctor, the proctor then mutes them.
3. They post the screenshots on their staff forum list to where the mods/admins can look over them to see if they need to be muted longer.
+1
Regardless of what position gets this (If any), this seems like a very solid position that could offer help.
Chat is the most common place that needs watching, and the Mods & Admins usually have other things to do than watch over the chat.

While I personally would like to see Proctors or Guides get this, a new Chat Mod position could be made up.

RagingDragon5

Portal

I believe they should just go off of the chat rules for the sever to determine. "yur mom/girlfriend last night" would probably be under:
  • Harassing, threatening, embarrassing, giving unwanted attention or discomfort to another player.

jan9f

Legacy Supporter 3
+1
Regardless of what position gets this (If any), this seems like a very solid position that could offer help.
Chat is the most common place that needs watching, and the Mods & Admins usually have other things to do than watch over the chat.

While I personally would like to see Proctors or Guides get this, a new Chat Mod position could be made up.
I think perhaps proctors could watch chat, and Guides could filter through the bad and the good /pe's and send them to mods/admins, since they used to be able to answer PE's. Perhaps just being able to sort through them could save Mods/Admins a lot of time.

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8
I think perhaps proctors could watch chat, and Guides could filter through the bad and the good /pe's and send them to mods/admins, since they used to be able to answer PE's. Perhaps just being able to sort through them could save Mods/Admins a lot of time.
Guides used to, they lost it because it was abused (People would close PE's about their friends or town or what have you). it was so bad it just got removed entirely.