• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion [Plugin] Market Analytics

Raolyth

Legacy Supporter 8
I'd like to propose the development of a new plugin that would allow for players to study data and then use that data to make economic choices.

Market Analytics - What is it?
This plugin would work in unison with the ChestShop plugin to record market data for all goods on sale in HeroCraft. What this means is that it would log data from transactions, run that data threw means of economic analysis algorithms, and present it graphically as a final result to aid players in their economic decisions. Such as, what is the least available good at the current.

What is the purpose/goal/use for this plugin?
With more information at the fingertips of players, the server will have a much more robust economy. Pricechecks would be available at any time (with up-to-date data). Players will be able to see what goods are in the least supply in the market at any given point, track the market history of a good, see who owns the majority share of a particular market, what is the average price of a good (at the demand curve or overall), what is the market equilibrium for a good, so on and so forth.

This would revitalize the server economy by offering a whole new way to approach that aspect of the game. It would also make for some interesting economic competition.

How would it work?
Data from ChestShops and transactions would be recorded and stored within a database. Some of the data recorded would include:
  • ChestShops
    • Shop owner
    • Shop item
    • Supply of item in shop
    • Price per unit
    • Units for sale per transaction
    • Number of transactions made in shop
    • Total currency accumulated thru shop
  • Transactions
    • Buyer
    • Unit type
    • Units bought
    • Total cost
Of course, this is just some of the data that would be recorded.

This data would then be transferred to a database, which would be displayed via a web interface. This would include supply and demand graphs, total good purchases by the hour (for each unit type in the market), market share graphs. The data presented should update hourly, so players can monitor trends and make the most rational economic choices.

Initial problems to address
While a good share of transactions are made via Chest Shops, many are also made externally (player to player) and therefore would not be recorded by this plugin; although, this could be addressed by changing procedure on non-ChestShop purchases.

This plugin could put some additional stress on the server and affect performance. This is why I would recommend having this data logged and collected first and then only moving it to the database for analysis once every hour or so.

Knowledge Required
This project would most likely incorporate at least Java, MySQL ( or another database platform), PHP, JavaScript, HTML/CSS, and some understanding on economic applications.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I myself have an intermediate level of experience in all of these skill catagories. Although I have almost no experience with the Bukkit API. I am currently looking into the Bukkit documentation and should be able to get started on this plugin's framework within the next couple of weeks. If you'd like to work together with me on this I'd be more than willing to collaborate with your dev team.

Let me know what you think.

Azzezima

Legacy Supporter 5
i do agree with this because you never know how much an item is really worth.
Nice suggestion!

-Azzezima-