• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Petition for More Experimental Control

Delfofthebla

Legacy Supporter 4
Retired Staff
Balance Team

So, last night a few of us guys from the balance team, as well as a few other random players from a few different towns got together in teamspeak. We were discussing the current state of the game, the goal of the update, the proposed changes we thought were needed. It was a really great discussion that I think really helped us all get a better understanding of the current class balance, as well as the current situation with the update. And it got me thinking...

The thing is, when it comes to this update, and the balance surrounding it, we are currently swinging in the dark. None of us are "gods of balance", or anything of the sort. We are ordinary people. People who can of course, make mistakes. When changing things like this, it's hard to say what is "right" and what is "wrong". We could suggest a change, and then shortly after realize a grave oversight that throws the balance into disarray. However, we do have the knowledge and tools necessary to correct our mistakes once we make them. If a change is made and we see it for ourselves, we can immediately assess whether or not it is balanced or not.

However, that's exactly the issue. We cannot always see the errors until we experience them first hand. And we do not get to do this until the changes hit the live server. If we were given more room to experiment, and test our changes first hand, I think that we could complete our job much more efficiently and with a much higher success rate.

Naturally, I am speaking of the test server. I am asking for us, the balance team, to be given the opportunity to test changes in advance before actually finalizing the numbers. I don't really care "how" it is done, but I, as well as the rest of the team, would greatly appreciate having the tools to test our own ideas.

Currently, our only option is to go directly through you, Kainzo. We can propose changes and suggest numbers, but you are a busy man. You can't always give us the attention that we need. Additionally, you do not always have the time necessary to make the more drastic changes to abilities (such as ones that involve changing the code)

I feel as though if we had more control, we could not only be more useful to you, but also save you a lot of time when it comes to the nitty-gritty nonsense. This is why I am going out of my way to ask.

Is this something you would be willing to grant in any form Kainzo ?

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Due to the privacy and licensing of our files, we can't just grant access to anyone. I guess I could write up some NDA pdf's or something that I can get someone to sign...

The issue is - these setups are very complex and highly sensitive information is stored in the configs. (which is changeable)

leftovers5

Legacy Supporter 8
I agree that we should be able to have some form of actual control over the changes being made to balance.

Also (important): Is there a reason I'm no longer getting tags from the group balance team tag?

Eldrylars

Legacy Supporter 8
I would be willing to sign a NDA to have better access to testing and configuring things on the test server.
Hell I can even send you my home address so you could personally come and shoot me if I ever screwed up. :cool:

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
We wont be mass granting the ability to see class/skills/etc.

Delf has signed an NDA for our development team at this time.