• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

One temporary region - Please

Aesi

Legacy Supporter 3
A little harsh there dustger. Now, with the benefit of hindsight, things may have been done better but remember: the server is being provided for free (partly funded by donations) so we should enjoy the bits that are fun and try not to complain too much about the bits that aren't.
yeah I just have this problem with not being able to enjoy the game when I cant have valuable items, nice structures or even build without the fear of dying to someone looking for pvp.

Draskuul

Legacy Supporter 5
What I wonder is...how many other people have basically quit Herocraft waiting for Regions to come back?

Diavolo1988

Legacy Supporter 6
I joined this server because it had protection against greifing, (regions) and rules that stated that griefing and stealing was illegal. Then I found out that this server also had an amazing community, and I started liking the server more and more as I became more aquainted with the great people here.

Then the first hints about a possible wipe soon were released, and a lot of people got less active. Then the wipe was scheduled around May 31st and a lot of people took a month and a half break till then. KoE nearly became a ghost kingdom. :p When the wipe was, a LOT of people rejoined the server, that had been away a long time. However, the server was'nt Herocraft anymore. It was Anarchycraft. The beginning after a wipe is always very hard economically, but this time griefing and stealing was allowed. (due to rules being changed pre wipe when everything was LWC'ed and regioned) There were no regions, and LWC's required you to be a very rich player. So, of the pile of players who came back, only a few stayed. Most just thought: "oh, the server is not ready yet. I guess I'll just wait untill it works again".

There are still a lot of people in the server, but those who are builders are basically just hainging around untill the server is fixed again. I know that the devs/mods/admins are working hard to make the township plugin work and all that, but I also know that it is possible to give us square regions right now. (like the ones we had when everything was perfect) Just giving one big region for every properly developed unofficial town would make the server "work again". This is the one thing that is needed to make many of the Herocraft old timers return to the server.

If this server is not to end up with a playerbase consisiting of 80% 14 year olds, with all the builders having ragequit, something needs to be done. And the something is giving us regions.

Aesi

Legacy Supporter 3
Well said Diavolo... I am one of the non 14 yr old builders and yes I have gone very inactive because I cannot build or protect my materials so why bother...

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
I know, I don't even play anymore in fear that my shit gets stolen and or i lose stuff.

Oh wait. I never actually played because im too busy administrating :p

What we're planning...

Township Plugin -> Township Areas
Regions -> Donor region

Worldguard has undergone some massive changes in the last week - I'm going to be testing them out to see if its what we want. We do NOT want donors regioning the size of Townships - etc.

Please note that yes - we see some of the older members who want infinite protections not logging in as much, we also see a sharp rise in playerbase and active / repeated users wanting less protection, less regions.

It's give and take - Herocraft is always changing. We won't stop until we're dead.

Herocraft Map 1 (public) = no region / no fire protection / no chest locking. NO PVP (it wasnt even an option)
Herocraft Map 1.1 = Region / no fire protection
Herocraft Map 2 = Chest Protection + Fire protection + Regions + Realms + Creeper nerf
Herocraft Map 3 = LWC / Region / Fire/TNT protection + no-mob spawn protection
Herocraft Map 4 (present) = Limited LWC / Limited Fire / no TNT. Creepers&Regions on the way.

It's just the way of the world - we're always about hardcore, challenge, fair gameplay. Above all else, we're about choice. We want to offer players the choice to do things, the choice to steal or not, the choice to murder. We want players to make the right choice, it just doesn't always happen.

Aesi

Legacy Supporter 3
Please note that yes - we see some of the older members who want infinite protections not logging in as much, we also see a sharp rise in playerbase and active / repeated users wanting less protection, less regions.
Just giving one big region for every properly developed unofficial town would make the server "work again".

I dont understand why you think we want tons of regions, thats all you keep saying about them. In game you talk about how the last map had this many regions and that we dont need more than one region per player because they'll get out of hand again etc. We just want one temporary region put up by an ADMIN or MOD maybe, to cover the town, add the town leaders as owners of each town and you have like 20 regions total! And that would only be until the township plugin is working.
Again, this thread is about 1 TEMP REGION PER TOWN until we get township plugin going.

Also with the logic of having more players wanting less protection, it means that this server is turning into a pure PvP server and nothing will end up getting built. Dont say, "have someone protect you" thats just impractical. Its obvious you favor the PvPers but damn how do you expect anything to get really done?

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Be grateful that you have someone that cares to listen to players whine and bitch and not just give them the cold shoulder.

Don't put words in my mouth either, because that won't end well.

I don't favor any style of play on Herocraft, I want them all to flourish.

MoeJunur

Staff member
Legacy Supporter 9
May i say my piece then you'll go ahead with whatever way this is going,
there are several player bases otu there now,
pvp'ers, killers, murders, protectors, thiefs
builders, miners, crafters,
the more that second group gets killed the less materials to be stolen, the less they play,
the more pvper's, thiefs, they will take over,
i see crafters with out any way to safely store materials required to build, trade, create, sell, and make the iconomy work,
these players will eventually leave.
leaving only the pvper's to play against them selfs until no one will be there to play with them,
I dont mind fighting every so often, but not every 3 mins and lose what i worked for several hours to gather in seconds,
or lose to a hacker that gets away with it,
i can see now that i went the wrong way with the path i chose, i probly should have went the fighting side and killed griefed and looted so the i have something now,

the End

Sorry if i left some of the paths out, I was just rtying to give an opion, im not some 14 yr old thats running and gunning, i like these types of games , i was on UO for 8-9 yr.s, i know that Kainzo and the staff work very hard to keep this server running, sometimes its "like how do they do it" um taking care of the childrn',

i enjoy the fellow ship of others and the conrodery of being with and meeting new and old friends.

PS please dont think i dont know how to spell, i am cajun french from south louisana, i enjoy my heritage, and minecraft.

Diavolo1988

Legacy Supporter 6
To everyone who havent heard it: We ARE getting one region per town. (old system with square regions as a temporary solution untill we get the township plugin up and running) So the "battle" of this thread has been won I think.

On a semi-second note, I dont think we need donators to be able to region stuff in the wilderness. Towns are safe, wilderness is wild.

Just as a statement on the end, like several have scratched into here: People who dislike the server enugh, will leave. People who like it will stay/join. Some of the changes that have happened during last map and on wipe have been interesting I think, and have made life in Herocraft more hardcore and "exciting". Other changes seem to me like total asshattery, but the good changes are a lot more numerous than the bad. The one change I am most worried about is the one MoeJunur mentioned, basically that the server is filling up with non-building 14 year olds who just love pvp, and the builders leave. We'll see what happens when towns get protected. Im pretty sure it will balance out things, and stop the emigration that we've been seeing.

Rofii

Legacy Supporter 7

It's give and take - Herocraft is always changing. We won't stop until we're dead.

Alienating your existing player-base and replacing them with new blood doesn't seem like a practical business plan, although it has worked for some other games :(

there are several player bases otu there now,
pvp'ers, killers, murders, protectors, thiefs
builders, miners, crafters,

the more that second group gets killed the less materials to be stolen, the less they play,
the more pvper's, thiefs, they will take over,
i see crafters with out any way to safely store materials required to build, trade, create, sell, and make the iconomy work,

these players will eventually leave.
leaving only the pvper's to play against them selfs until no one will be there to play with them,
I dont mind fighting every so often, but not every 3 mins and lose what i worked for several hours to gather in seconds,

You forgot the traders! The only reason I played Herocraft was for the trading. Believe it or not I pretty much never mined, PVP'ed, or even built (until my town almost kicked me out for not having a house)... I just bought low and sold high, and had alot of fun doing it.

Unfortunately with many of the recent changes it feels like we've moved too far towards the other end of the Builder-PVP spectrum. I'm biased against PVP in Minecraft though. I don't even understand why people do it... the combat is as complex as Atari Boxing.

[EDIT]
Just another thought to consider.... if you removed PVP from Minecraft and left the mining/building, you'd still have one of the best PC games of the last 10 years. On the other hand if you removed mining/building and left the PVP, you'd have a laughable game :p
[/EDIT]

Malphugus

Legacy Supporter 5
My 2c.
I was one of those players that wanted a 'perfectly safe' town. However, my viewpoint has changed. Instead of raging when someone 'stabs me in the back while I'm building in town' I now try to get revenge.
If I can't kill them myself, or hire someone to do it, I wait till more of my fellow citizens get on form a party to hunt the swine (a Ranger is a very good friend to have for this :)

Personally I think the town regions on the old map were too secure. An underground base was virtually impenetrable. However, they are better than no protection at all.
The main benefit I see from regions is that they prevent griefing which means: a) admins aren't wasting time on'minor' griefing and/or b) we arent wasting our time fixing 'minor' griefing by annoying idiots/noobs

MoeJunur

Staff member
Legacy Supporter 9
You are correct Malphugus, i am not saying we need totally safe but its hard to build and create when ever your are say using a cauldron in your house basement and some bunch dig down through 4 blocks and kill you then you loose all items. they just keep gaining skills by doing that, while lol i lost 3k of skills a few days ago fighting back until they found my hidden bed and broke it.