• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Obsidian xp increase?

Ace6697

Gold
The problem:

Hello all, I've got an issue with the current amount of xp obsidian gives. As of now, obsidian gives 2xp per block broken.

Why is that an issue?

The amount of xp obsidian gives is less than coal (note: coal gives 3xp), making it utterly useless to mine spare a few endgame items. To mine a block of obsidian, you must get a diamond pickaxe. The rarity of diamonds is almost at a frustrating level, which makes obsidian that much more "valuable" in terms of xp. Once you get a diamond pickaxe, without any enchantments, it takes 9.4 seconds to mine that ONE block of obsidian (minecraft wiki). The reward for that? 2xp.

Coal on the other-hand, is a much more viable venture. You can mine it with a wooden pickaxe, taking 2.25 seconds, and gaining 3xp. There are on average 142.6 coal ores per chunk, thus gaining you a good ~400xp with only 5.35 minutes spent mining that coal (note: with a wooden pickaxe). Obsidian takes 9.4 seconds to mine with an enchanted diamond pickaxe. Using the same amount of 142 obsidian, it would take you 22 minutes to mine it all, yielding only 284 xp.

The solution?
I'm not too positive on what a fair amount of xp would be for obsidian. There are multiple factors to consider when pondering the final verdict. You need to keep in mind the amount of time it takes to mine it, the professions that aren't allowed to use diamond picks (only crafter and runesmith), the rarity of a diamond pickaxe when compared to wood and stone pickaxes, and the ability to replace obsidian (isn't viable unless you have maxed eff enchantments). I feel setting the xp level for obsidian somewhere in the 10xp range would fix any previous squabble mentioned. Here's the breakdown for how I got that number.

Obsidian takes 9.4 seconds to break, coal 2.25. Multiple coal's BR (breaking time, referred to now on) by three, be a little generous with it and you get 9 seconds. Adding the "rarity" factor to the xp level of the obsidian, add one xp. You could also take into account the danger level of most obsidian you will encounter, as it is created from lava.

Sources for BR times and xp:
http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Pickaxe
http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Coal_Ore

Enderless117

Legacy Supporter 3
I used to love mining obsidian to level up enchant when it gave like ~15 exp. I believe it got nerfed because people like me would enchant max EFF god picks and would mine it in seconds. OBSIDIAN EXP>ENCHANT GODPICK>OBSIDIAN EXP>REPEAT

mikehk

Legacy Supporter 6
i was there when this was brought up in chat. did you not listen to kainzo or anyone else that gave you reasons why it's so low?

1. common as hell
2. not exactly meant as a way to level up
3. can be placed, and would thus result in abusive exp farm
4. your argument that it takes a diamond pickaxe is just silly. from one diamond pickaxe you can mine over 1500 obsidian if you mine nothing but obsidian, thereby making obsidian's exp value about .1? exp if we're using your logic about the diamond pick.

if the exp value for this gets turned up, you can guarantee i will buy a couple eff4 un3 picks and master alchemist in about 1-3 days.

STDs4YouAnd4Me

Legacy Supporter 8
I made an obsidian generator 2 years ago on single player. If this is still possible then it would be foolish for it to give a good amount of XP.

Enderless117

Legacy Supporter 3
I made an obsidian generator 2 years ago on single player. If this is still possible then it would be foolish for it to give a good amount of XP.
I believe the only way to make obsidian nowadays is with a block of lava. (You can't make infinite lava sources like infinite water sources).

Ace6697

Gold
Ok, I've been thinking about what you guys said. Yes, people replacing obby to mine again would be an issue.
How about making it so obby is like a "random drop" block, where it has a chance to drop common to rare items/reagents? Like arrows, gunpowder, soul shards, all the way up to diamond having a low chance of dropping? That would make it more useful than it is in it's current state.

mikehk

Legacy Supporter 6
Ok, I've been thinking about what you guys said. Yes, people replacing obby to mine again would be an issue.
How about making it so obby is like a "random drop" block, where it has a chance to drop common to rare items/reagents? Like arrows, gunpowder, soul shards, all the way up to diamond having a low chance of dropping? That would make it more useful than it is in it's current state.
I'd farm it all day everyday

I'd farm it all day everyday
I think he meant it would drop only those things and not obsidian. So there would be no replacing obby. Although certain classes need obby for a spell, and there are many things needing obby like enchanting tables so this Idea would not work, as obby would become too rare.

Symbolite

Legacy Supporter 7
Yup if the exp was upped people would mine it and mine it over and over again to master their classes. Even lazier there are Obsidian generators possible using both Redstone and String to create the block. If the exp ever did get buffed I wouldn't recommend it going any higher than 3exp per or we'll just have that old problem restored.

j2gay

Legacy Supporter 6
Upping the exp on obby to around 5 would be a good balance. Still good for exp but not worth farming because of the time/ exp ratio. Obby generator is considered an exploit btw or at least was considered so last map.

Danda

Dungeon Master Extremist
Staff member
Administrator
Guide
Wiki Team
Max Legacy Supporter
Upping the exp on obby to around 5 would be a good balance. Still good for exp but not worth farming because of the time/ exp ratio. Obby generator is considered an exploit btw or at least was considered so last map.
This is what it used to be before it was nerfed.

Symbolite

Legacy Supporter 7

Are they illegal now? I know my town had them on both Sanctum and Zeal, of course that was a very very long time ago in terms of Herocraft lol.

j2gay

Legacy Supporter 6
Are they illegal now? I know my town had them on both Sanctum and Zeal, of course that was a very very long time ago in terms of Herocraft lol.
We were trying to build one last map and were told it was a block exploit