• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Notch adding Aether?

Elriond

Gold
Notch: "I spent a lot of time today trying to add a floating island dimension. It did not go well. Performs well, looks ugly."
@notch so is that idea dropped or just put on pause?
@TheAlp_ on pause. I was hoping to 50 percent it today.

I was wondering how long it would take for him to start working on another dimension other than the nether.

@Edit: Pictures of what he was working on at the time - http://imgur.com/a/cvsYW

Doreagarde

Legacy Supporter 5
I've seen really neat floating island worlds in videos, but I find it'd look nicer if the world was taller than 128 metres. Mountain ranges too, for that matter.

Elriond

Gold
Doreagarde said:
I've seen really neat floating island worlds in videos, but I find it'd look nicer if the world was taller than 128 metres. Mountain ranges too, for that matter.

Why does height make a difference? I think risugami's biosphere mod is a good example of floating islands. Granted i wish the generation wasn't so predictable.

Brutalacerate

AdministRaper
I think Minecraft should be all on one map, set up like this:

(Portal to each, but all on one map)

Height -200 - 0 = "Nether"

Underneath Bedrock, Hell, Dark world, fire, lava, etc

Height 0 - 200 - "Earth"

Regular world, friendly animals, regular monsters, etc

201 - 400 "Aether"

Heaven, above clouds, peaceful, lots of friendly animals, etc

wolfgang784

Legacy Supporter 3
Notch would need to change his chunk loading a lot again or nobody would be able to run it really. The entire chunks your near load, top to bottom, so right now it would load all 3 worlds and all the mobs that go with it and such.

If notch changed his code so the game performed better and the chunk loading was different that would be an awesome idea.

Brutalacerate

AdministRaper
wolfgang784 said:
Notch would need to change his chunk loading a lot again or nobody would be able to run it really. The entire chunks your near load, top to bottom, so right now it would load all 3 worlds and all the mobs that go with it and such.

If notch changed his code so the game performed better and the chunk loading was different that would be an awesome idea.

Yes, I guess it would be 3 different worlds then. Haha.

Elriond

Gold
Okay I have to agree, having all of the worlds combined would be awesome. Tunneling your way to hell and building up into the sky just sound like fun. But in either case i'm just happy to see that he's thinking of doing more with dimensions. I'm hoping he will get around to adding more content for the nether as well.

@Edit: Looks like notch posted some pics of what he was working on yesterday here - http://imgur.com/a/cvsYW

Doreagarde

Legacy Supporter 5
Elriond said:
Why does height make a difference? I think risugami's biosphere mod is a good example of floating islands. Granted i wish the generation wasn't so predictable.

I want to see floating continents stacked on top of other floating continents.

Elriond

Gold
Doreagarde said:
Elriond said:

I want to see floating continents stacked on top of other floating continents.

Ah! Like continental rift from the BiomeTerrain mod. The one thing that always drove me crazy was spawning underneath of one since it's perpetual night there. Hordes of zombies and creepers were the death of me.

AudieMurphy135

Soulsand
Personally, I think Notch should just wait until the Aether mod is finished, then when he implements the modding API (assuming that the creators of the mod apply for the license), he can just implement it into Minecraft.

Elriond

Gold
AudieMurphy135 said:
Personally, I think Notch should just wait until the Aether mod is finished, then when he implements the modding API (assuming that the creators of the mod apply for the license), he can just implement it into Minecraft.

The Collab? There are several Aether projects. I'd just like to see it finished even if it isn't added.

Capn_Danger

Legacy Supporter 5
On his twitter I think Notch mentioned he was working on a floating island world, he was happy with the performance but thought it looked like turds. So, it'll probably come out in a couple months, very retooled from the screenies were seeing here.

Elriond

Gold
Capn_Danger said:
On his twitter I think Notch mentioned he was working on a floating island world, he was happy with the performance but thought it looked like turds. So, it'll probably come out in a couple months, very retooled from the screenies were seeing here.

Yeah, i never said aether was coming in 1.6, just that he was actually working on another dimension! Good to know right? But I have to say it would be nice to see some new terrain generation worked on if nothing else with it. As for the aether collab i'd like to see it completed and out there to use and test. If it's any good (considering the authors it should be) maybe notch might actually use it for the new dimension.

Steamed

Legacy Supporter 3
its gonna be cool to have roads going from island to island. Skyforge should make a town there :D

Airbus101

Legacy Supporter 7
Kainzo you better email Notch with our rules!! NO FLOATING STRUCTURES clearly this is a rule violation and he should be BAN HAMMERED!

DagothAgahnim

Legacy Supporter 5
there was/is an Aether mod project going that looked really good. I downloaded one of the early builds and it was very well made. Hopefully notch does something like that, I love new blocks.lol