• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion New Skill Ideas

Kilana

Wood
I'm not sure if these are all feasible, or whether they've existed and been axed before... but here are some skills I thought might be interesting:

Combat Skills
Magic Resistance Buff - Not sure if flat reduction or percentage would be more balanced.
Stat Debuff skills - Temporary reduction in strength, agility, int or wisdom... a seperate skill for each, given to certain classes to give them an edge against certain other classes. Perhaps could exist as enchantments for rare weapons. Or maybe a poison that could be applied to weapons to temporarily debuff foes who are struck.
Stationary trap skills? - Something like placing a rune on the ground... the next player or mob to step there (within 60 seconds) will be struck with a debuff. (Direct damage traps might open up exploits in supposed safe areas)
Gravity spells? - Tossing someone in the air to drop them, or making their equipment(armor) heavier, or giving a slow effect (I'm sure we have slow spells already, but the gravity theme is interesting)

Terraforming Skills
Grass, Mycellium, or Snow spreading abilities? - Similar to how snow golems function, say... like... the next 3 blocks you walk over, if they are dirt blocks, will be converted to grass or mycel, or snow over terrain. A specific target cast, like overgrowth, might be easier to implement though.
Prospect - Temporarily turn a row of solid blocks to glass. A 1x5 block area in front of you, extending forward. Will only transform natural terrain blocks, like dirt, sand, stone, or gravel. And the blocks convert back after like 5 seconds. A way to inspect for ores, without raping the terrain.

Multiblock Constructions
Some minecraft mods take crafting to another level by making the player physically place blocks in the world a certain way to create/refine items. Perhaps we could use this concept to further develop Herocraft's professions.

Examples(They have images):
Terrafirmacraft - Charcoal Pit
http://terrafirmacraft.com/wiki/Charcoal
Tinkers Construct(Included in FTB modpack if thats more familiar) - Smeltery
http://tinkers-construct.wikia.com/wiki/Smeltery

The ideas, sorry i don't have any prepared example images... the effects may need balancing suggestions:

(SMITH)Foundry Forge-Additional bars when smelting ores, or maybe fuel free smelting for ores.
(MINER)Builders Kiln-Fuel free smelting for construction blocks. (Cobble->Stone, Sand->Glass, Clay->Red Bricks)
(FARMER)Charcoal Mound-Additional charcoal when smelting logs.
(FARMER)Chicken Coop-Create eggs/feathers depending on amount of chickens within 10 block radius? Might be implemented as a '/skill cast' with an appropriate timer.
(FARMER)Cow Barn-Baby cows, mooshrooms, (and horses?) rapidly mature into adults, maybe requires placing several haybale blocks in the barn, and they'll get consumed as it converts babies to adults.
(FARMER)Pig Pen-Baby pigs rapidly mature to adults, consumes carrots.
(RUNESMITH)Teleport Gate-Basically a placeable runestone. Because it is erected on the ground, multiple people can make use of a single runestone. Perhaps make it consume redstone dust, in addition to the durability damage to the source runestone, for balance reasons. Also recommend the Teleport Gate itself require several rare blocks in it's construction like diamond, emerald, or burning furnaces.
(ALCHEMIST)Healing Bath-Players or mobs standing in these waters will regenerate health.
(ALCHEMIST)Poison Fountain-Taints liquid blocks within a 5 block radius. Any players standing in tainted liquid take damage over time.

Random Musings
-Would be nice if bards could do something with noteblocks, music disks, or juke boxes.
-I wonder if it would be possible to create skills with class synergies... Like if a wizard and druid are partied and near each other, the wizard would be able to cast an empowered (AOE) lightning bolt (mana is reduced from both players), or something like that.
-The multiblock construction ideas I posted above could also be a source of rare components for skills/spells. Like the chicken coop could rarely give an Extra Fuzzy Feather, to be used in a fall damage shield skill... or alchemists could bottle water from the healing bath and have a chance to get a Bottled Vigor which could be used in a powerful healing spell.

Editing with more ideas
Another random idea
-Would be nice if there were some skills that are affected by terrain, or nearby blocks. Although forage does sort of match this description.... Like say if a bard sings, and there are nearby noteblocks, they'd play and boost the song effect. Or maybe an ice spell, if cast on a target in water, could physically seal the enemy in ice blocks.

Last edited:

Keache

Legacy Supporter 7
Magic Resistance Buff - Not sure if flat reduction or percentage would be more balanced.
Stat Debuff skills - Temporary reduction in strength, agility, int or wisdom... a seperate skill for each, given to certain classes to give them an edge against certain other classes. Perhaps could exist as enchantments for rare weapons. Or maybe a poison that could be applied to weapons to temporarily debuff foes who are struck.
Stationary trap skills? - Something like placing a rune on the ground... the next player or mob to step there (within 60 seconds) will be struck with a debuff. (Direct damage traps might open up exploits in supposed safe areas)
Gravity spells? - Tossing someone in the air to drop them, or making their equipment(armor) heavier, or giving a slow effect (I'm sure we have slow spells already, but the gravity theme is interesting)

Magic Resist buff - already exists
Stat Debuffs - already exist, albeit it's not used on enemies
Gravity spells - There are force abilities, but not any gravity abilities to my knowledge.

0xNaomi

Legacy Supporter 6
Retired Staff
Guess I can speak for gravity in feasibility.
Gravity throw? Take Jump and apply it to another player without (as much?) safefall.
Heavier equipment? I could see lowering AGI/Move Speed for that based on equipment.
Slow? Have it already.

And to change topics, that's quite a lot to say for a first post.

Dakinara

Legacy Supporter 6
hmmm agility debuffs . . . that would be a nice snare ability idea. Reduces movement speed and several movement abilities in one (enderpearl still op).

Kilana

Wood
And to change topics, that's quite a lot to say for a first post.
I don't post on forums alot... but when I do, it usually comes out like a small essay ^.^.

Another random idea
-Would be nice if there were some skills that are affected by terrain, or nearby blocks. Although forage does sort of match this description.... Like say if a bard sings, and there are nearby noteblocks, they'd play and boost the song effect. Or maybe an ice spell, if cast on a target in water, could physically seal the enemy in ice blocks.

ebilaxe

Legacy Supporter 6
Pretty sure the skill Prospect will never happen for the sake of anti xray.

I could be wrong though, don't know how customization that plugin is.