• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion New Skill Framework

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Updated to add the "research" skill method.

Researching is hunting/trading for certain pages to complete a "book" of sorts. Example: for Hellgate there will be 8 pages to find. "Hellish Nightmares: Page 1 of 8" - pages will have a low drop chance off of mobs/ores/etc and when combined will make a book "Spellbook: Hellgate" - when the player right-clicks the book, they will learn the skill (if they are the class and the right level)

malikdanab

Legacy Supporter 8
If learning Berserker skills doesn't consist of "Kill EVERYTHING," then I'll be disappointed. Anyway, this is looks very interesting and I can't wait to test it out.

Last edited:

mikehk

Legacy Supporter 6
Updated to add the "research" skill method.

Researching is hunting/trading for certain pages to complete a "book" of sorts. Example: for Hellgate there will be 8 pages to find. "Hellish Nightmares: Page 1 of 8" - pages will have a low drop chance off of mobs/ores/etc and when combined will make a book "Spellbook: Hellgate" - when the player right-clicks the book, they will learn the skill (if they are the class and the right level)

i like it, but how rare will these pages actually be? if they're like the custom items: "dagger of disdain", "staff of the overseer", etc, this may become unbalanced imo. with only the lucky or wealthy even having it. Now if each page had a drop rate similiar to the other custom drops, like the advanced crafting materials, I can see these becoming good.

also the master-apprentice thing... how exactly would someone become a master?

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
i like it, but how rare will these pages actually be? if they're like the custom items: "dagger of disdain", "staff of the overseer", etc, this may become unbalanced imo. with only the lucky or wealthy even having it. Now if each page had a drop rate similiar to the other custom drops, like the advanced crafting materials, I can see these becoming good.

Depends on the skill. Most to all classes will have 2-3 skills learnable only by research.

Greetings Heroes!
@Admins @Moderators @Heralds @Guides
The new skill framework will compose a better system for players to dynamically create their hero. Through customization, the player will be able to learn skills in new and old ways.

The configuration will allow the server to dictate how players learn skills, in what level they can learn them, if they can be taught from other players or if they can be purchased with souls.

Ways to obtain skills:
  • Auto-gained from levels (only method currently)
  • Purchasing with souls
  • Learned from "tomes"
  • Learned from researching*
  • Learned from other players deemed as "masters"
  • Learned from completion of quests
  • Dealing X damage
  • Healing X damage
Configuration Example:
Code:
permitted-skills:
    Poison:
        level: 5
        mana: 19
        cooldown: 7000
        delay: 500
        currency: 0
        levelRequired: 5
        autoAcquired: true
        tome: false
        teachable: false
        questable: true
    DarkRitual:
        level: 10
        mana: 0
        cooldown: 500
    Decay:
        level: 20
        mana: 20
        cooldown: 10000
    BecomeDeath:
        level: 30
        mana: 10
        cooldown: 30000
    Battery:
        level: 35
        mana: 5
        cooldown: 3000
    Web:
        level: 40
        mana: 15
        cooldown: 14000
    Despair:
        level: 45
        mana: 20
        cooldown: 12000
        damage: 50
    Hellgate:
        level: 50
        mana: 75
        cooldown: 150000
    Plague:
        level: 55
        mana: 30
        cooldown: 12000
        delay: 1000
    Harmshield:
        level: 60
        mana: 40
        cooldown: 360000
    Blight:
        level: 65
        mana: 30
        cooldown: 25000
        delay: 1000

The configuration can be changed to allow the player to select a new skill every 3-5 levels. We can have a list that the user can select from. For the skills that can only be learned from Tomes - we can specify that in the config that it is only learnable from "Tome" and does not count towards the skill cap. Each class would be allotted a max of 20 skills in their list.

A tome is a bookcase in the wilderness that is enchanted with the skill that can be learned. A player that finds the tome (bookshelf) can right-click on it to add it to their current class/arsenal. These would not transfer between classes and would be only unlocked for that class.

Instead of paying souls to gain skills, the player can go to Masters. Masters are other players that can teach newer players skills for free instead of having them purchase the skill with souls. Once a successful training has been done to the newer player. (althernatively) we can place weight on this system by requiring players to obtain X many mastery points before they can actually master the class and/or unlock certain skills.

This system has been seen before on Herocraft as "magicspells" - however mixing it into Heroes will be a massive undertaking and is the next logical step for our player-base.

Thanks for reading and feel free to comment!
can you also include how in "magicspells" you can bind multiple skills to one object, left click to switch between right click to use? cuz binding a bunch of shit is hard.

Xhazed

Portal
Is this bexoming like runescape or something but wha eva. If this does happen you guys need to make ir so that lets say ninja can only choose skills from rogue classes and 1 from healer 1 from fighters and 1 from casters or something like that because if you just let them pcik what ever they want they could just make a dragoon with bolt backstab and layhands and all the other op skills

pure_autism

Legacy Supporter 5
Is this bexoming like runescape or something but wha eva. If this does happen you guys need to make ir so that lets say ninja can only choose skills from rogue classes and 1 from healer 1 from fighters and 1 from casters or something like that because if you just let them pcik what ever they want they could just make a dragoon with bolt backstab and layhands and all the other op skills
I am pretty sure these will be new skills, so no need to worry about Dragoons with Layhands. :)

Yavool

Legacy Supporter 9

I say instead of keying them to a random element such as mob drops of randomly in the wild, instead key them to total number of HC hours actively played, and a random tome drops at certain time thresholds. the server restarts ensure that someone doesn't gain too much from afk'ing (plus it's generally never a wise idea to afk in HC). It rewards those dedicated to HC (of which each person has an equal opportunity to achieve) rather than rewarding those who can grind mobs the best (of which certain players are skilled at and some are not).

-yav

projet3

Wood
I love this idea but maybe also having unique items with ability bound to them but the skill cannot be used without said item, like inferno staff or others unique to a certain class. This would certainly be more reason to carry round more items and would add some cool concepts. but coding it :l

JupiterRome

Legacy Supporter 5
maybe karma could be reintroduced with this thing? evil players will get more "evil" abilities, and good players will get more "good" abilities. and if you wanted to become good from bad, you could find (or buy) tombs of goodness that would increase your karma by a certain amount. but then again, karma encouraged graveyard farming...
that's what I was thinking.....