• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

New rig

j2gay

Legacy Supporter 6
I got a new desktop for my birthday little over a week ago:

some quad core amd processor running at 3.70 ghz

12gb ram

some integrated graphics..

and a 2tb hdd, oh and windows 8.1

Runs everything i throw at it perfectly, so im happy :)
Integrated graphics on a desktop and runs games well sounds like an and APU. Depending on the series it will have 4CPU and 4-8GPU cores on the same die. AAt 3.7ghz sounds like a late series Richland or the new Kaveri series A10. Both have 8GPU cores with the Richland A10 equaling an AMD 7860HD Graphics card and the Kaveri equaling an AMD R7 card.
For entertainment and moderate gaming these are great processors and they are very affordable especially since you can run high end games without the need to add a graphics card. If you do heavy business applications though these chips will run a few seconds slower than the Intel equivalents

CoolBeans279

Legacy Supporter 3
Integrated graphics on a desktop and runs games well sounds like an and APU. Depending on the series it will have 4CPU and 4-8GPU cores on the same die. AAt 3.7ghz sounds like a late series Richland or the new Kaveri series A10. Both have 8GPU cores with the Richland A10 equaling an AMD 7860HD Graphics card and the Kaveri equaling an AMD R7 card.
For entertainment and moderate gaming these are great processors and they are very affordable especially since you can run high end games without the need to add a graphics card. If you do heavy business applications though these chips will run a few seconds slower than the Intel equivalents
http://puu.sh/cCs2x/0351e855ad.png

CoolBeans279

Legacy Supporter 3
A10 Richland, this is a good processor. Even better news is that 90%+ of the mobos for A10 are capable of upgrading to the new Kaveri if you ever wanted to. AMD has also promised that the next series will be compatible with the same socket when it arrives next year.
i got a 3 year warranty on this PC, so in 3 years if i haven't returned it im going to get it upgraded

by then ill probably have bought a new one though xD

w0nd3rb0y

Legacy Supporter 5
Current build in progress is as follows:
Asus ROG Maximus VII Gene
Intel 4690K i5
Corsair H100i cooler
2x Asus ROG Striker 760s SLI
Corsair AX760i
WD 1tb caviar black
256 Samsung 840 pro SSD
2x 4gb G.skill ripjawsX 1866
Fractal Arc mini R2

w0nd3rb0y

Legacy Supporter 5
For 1 card I recommend 550 or more. If you plan on upgrading I would go a little more. Something like 750-850 for 2 cards and 1000 for 3.

Personally I don't like pushing the limits, so for your planned system, go 650

Last edited:

downfall325

Legacy Supporter 6
@w0nd3rb0y

Is Super Flower a good company for PSU's ( SF-650P14P 650W seems reasonable enough ) ?

Is 650W enough or too much?

Also, AMD or Intel/Nvidia ?

From my "researches", I've found that an AMD cpu is better for my budget. I have no problem with the loss of Advanced PhysX from nvidia, and AMD gpu's seem to be both cheaper and better than nvidia.

Also, if you do know a PSU at about the same price, I'd greatly appreciate.

650 is low if you plan on overclocking. Super flower is touch and go.. they actually make some quality platinum rated power supplies..

downfall325

Legacy Supporter 6
650w is actually more than enough. A single gpu rig with overclocking will run at about 500w fully loaded.

his current setup using a small 650w power supply and expecting to overclock is not only dangerous but silly. His case has a single 120mm fan with less than ideal airflow design, so either your going to want to add a couple more fans, (case holds 3 more) or a water cooler either way your going to be to close to your 650 mark and not have enough breathing room for any abnormal pulls on any singular line.

I've been building computers and networks longer than 80% of you have been alive im sure.. just a friendly tip :)

w0nd3rb0y

Legacy Supporter 5
his current setup using a small 650w power supply and expecting to overclock is not only dangerous but silly. His case has a single 120mm fan with less than ideal airflow design, so either your going to want to add a couple more fans, (case holds 3 more) or a water cooler either way your going to be to close to your 650 mark and not have enough breathing room for any abnormal pulls on any singular line.

I've been building computers and networks longer than 80% of you have been alive im sure.. just a friendly tip :)
I'm not exactly sure how old you are, but you are aware that I'm not some kiddie here, right? I'm willing to bet, with the current build, even if he achieve a substantial OC, that the whole system, under FULL load, would pull around 500w or less. Air flow aside, if he buys a quality power supply, 80 plus bronze minimum, 650w will be more than enough. I'm not sure why you mentioned building networks, as it has nothing to do with building a PC. Buy yourself one of those wattage meters you plug into the wall, and measure your system. Run something like AIDA64 and 3DMARK at the same time. I'm willing to bet it's lower than you think.

downfall325

Legacy Supporter 6
Case in point is using a cheap psu is never a good idea box says 650 but unfortunatley the cheap ones very rarely hold up to it. With the lack of airflow and fans combined with a cheap power supply he rig is doomed for failure even if it works at first the psu will overheat due to cheap resistors and poor cooling eventually frying the system

BrusLi44

Legacy Supporter 4
Can anyone confirm everything in this video is true ?

These three PSU's look good enough, yet I'm not sure which one I should get:
  • Corsair CP-9020050 , 550W
  • Thermaltake Smart SE , 530W
  • Thermaltake Litepower LT-500P , 500W

@downfall325
@w0nd3rb0yck

I'm considering either more fans or water cooling. However, I'm not looking to buy high end expensive cooling kits.

Last edited:

lioIIoil

Legacy Supporter 7
One other thing I forgot to mention. Get a better PSU. Not too familiar with segotep. But, I wouldn't trust it being quality. I recommend corsair, nzxt, coolermaster, thermaltake, antec or evga for a PSU
I had a cheap psu and it ended up blowing up, making alot of smoke and popping sounds. I am lucky it didn't ruin my computer. corsair are really good psu.