• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion New Profession Idea: [Thief]

Do you think theft (in the form of a profession) should be added? (Assuming exploits are fixed)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LightningCape

Holy Shit!
Remember this is all assuming exploits with this skill have been resolved...

Ever since early Bastion when Ninja had theft I've loved the skill and was annoyed , like a lot of other people, when it was taken away. (For legitimate reasons). Got the idea from this thread mainly. So I thought "why try to mash a combat class together without making it look like ninja with thief when it can be made into a profession?". A new profession would be nice (Runesmith doesn't count).

Think about it. The point of professions is to provide utility and make gaining money easier. It wouldn't give an edge to PvP, the main skill being some stealing ability would be situation and obviously hard/impossible to use in combat. If there is a way to fix theft to avoid the unwanted exploits I do believe this is a viable way of reintroducing it to the server.

Here is an example of what I mean. This can be changed of course.

Grid_Wither_Skeleton_Skull.png
Thief
Grid_Wither_Skeleton_Skull.png

Skilled in the art of theft
Thief is one of the specializations a player can choose upon mastering their Crafter profession and paying the appropriate amount of in-game currency. Masters of theft and smuggling. They are those who do not like hard work to make a living, but instead take the riches of others. Their talents stem from both physical and magical prowess, able to steal items without their owner noticing. By the time you turn around, your pockets are already empty.

**Insert Thief skin here (male and female)**

Skills:

Mark
Recall
Shears
LavaBucket
Lighter
Scan
Theft: Scales, CD and/or Regent, and (possible) has same death penalty as last theft skill
Villagers: Use them (fits idea of thief imo)
Some Jump or Speed skill: Speed I or jump I for 2-3 secs (High CD and possible regent)
Ultravision: Good skill

Even with just these skills it would make for an interesting profession in my opinion. More can be added or some stuff removed. Just thought it'd be an interesting idea.

Stealing people's stuff during events and stuff last map was amazing

Right?
@uin153
@MultiHeartGold
@otherpeoplewhostole

Tell what you think.

Sn0wBorn

Iron
I would say no to the speed skill, as it could give a pvp advantage, but other than that i like it.

Nashah

Max Legacy Supporter
Mmm... maybe keep the speed skill but make it so that it is a risk/reward skill. That if you get hit with it on you that you not only lose the speed buff but also get a temporary speed debuff. Meaning it can be useful to try to escape from others but if they are already on top of you they have a good chance to keep you from escaping.

Though this might be a dumb idea. Interested to hear what others think.

LightningCape

Holy Shit!
Mmm... maybe keep the speed skill but make it so that it is a risk/reward skill. That if you get hit with it on you that you not only lose the speed buff but also get a temporary speed debuff. Meaning it can be useful to try to escape from others but if they are already on top of you they have a good chance to keep you from escaping.

Though this might be a dumb idea. Interested to hear what others think.
Anything to counterbalance it works. If that's possible it sounds nice.

Nashah

Max Legacy Supporter
Anything to counterbalance it works. If that's possible it sounds nice.
I wouldn't know if it is possible or not. Just think that a thief would go well with some risk/reward skills if at all possible.
Think this would be a rather fun profession.

Fjordsen

Legacy Supporter 6
Yes please, would love a thief profession as I doubt we'll see Thievery being added back to Ninja.

Zaihn

Legacy Supporter 5
Just an Idea:

Unlock Death Chest
lvl 60
1 hour CD
Open's death chest right away

Maybe I don't understand the profession, but this sounds like a way to gain items that usually require pvp without the risk of pvp. What are the risks of stealing, especially in a PVP-Off zone where you can't be attacked if caught?

My concern: What would discourage people from sitting near the exchange and steal souls off people before they are sold. I think this would discourage economic trades,. too. If I want diamond, I'd find a great place to sell diamond and sit there waiting for people to approach ready to sell, etc.

I personally like having social, open spaces where PVP isnt a concern. If theft was in PVP only zones, then I'd be in favor of it, but I think most people would disapprove.

My suggestion if you have unlock death chest as a skill: have it cost souls to use. This would discourage the skill from targeting new players (who wouldnt have much worth stealing on them).

Templar_James

Legacy Supporter 8
What I think go ahead and add/suggest whatever you want.

Thief-Profession

All the regular crafter skills.

Thief lvl 15: Turn black your name gets erased so that no players can see it (sneak)

Thief lvl 25: Steal items from your targets inventory as long as you are behind them. If the target turns around to see you while in inventory you will die and not drop a death chest.

Thief lvl 40: Passive Black market you are able to sell your souls for an increased profit of 1 soul.

Thief lvl 50:

Thief lvl 60: unlock death chest + .5 souls for each item that is in the death chest

Thief lvl 65: If target has not moved for more then 5 minutes drag target for however long until they move again.

LightningCape

Holy Shit!
Maybe I don't understand the profession, but this sounds like a way to gain items that usually require pvp without the risk of pvp. What are the risks of stealing, especially in a PVP-Off zone where you can't be attacked if caught?

My concern: What would discourage people from sitting near the exchange and steal souls off people before they are sold. I think this would discourage economic trades,. too. If I want diamond, I'd find a great place to sell diamond and sit there waiting for people to approach ready to sell, etc.

I personally like having social, open spaces where PVP isnt a concern. If theft was in PVP only zones, then I'd be in favor of it, but I think most people would disapprove.

My suggestion if you have unlock death chest as a skill: have it cost souls to use. This would discourage the skill from targeting new players (who wouldnt have much worth stealing on them).
A theft skill was present early in early Bastion and it didn't deter people from trading or bringing valuables it just gave another rpg element to the server where one should always watch their back (Literally).

Old theft from early Bastion:
  • You right click on someones back to see their inventory and take 1 item at a time.

• Had a long CD

• If the person turned around while you were stealing you die instantly (not joking, you literally die)

This skills along with player collisions made being AFK at spawn a risk at itself which was a nice element to the server. The skill was and probably still is very high risk and high return.
Just an Idea:

Unlock Death Chest
lvl 60
1 hour CD
Open's death chest right away
Funny I actually had the same idea for the death chest but it's kinda "too strong".
Thief lvl 65: If target has not moved for more then 5 minutes drag target for however long until they move again.
Not sure that's possible but I like the suggestion for lvl 40.