• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion New Player problems

darki12

Stone
We all know that Herocraft is basicly a very good server.
But for new people there are huge problems. And i wanna list them and also create some suggestions to optimise this server.

You spawn in a Tutorial word and there is a huge amount of text to read but if you read the text you just know things about the modpack or classes. Many Player doesn't know what they should do when they are on the Spawn.
An easy way to fix this is just to create a starter tutorial/guide book where you can read what the best things are.
(I could write it if you don'T want)

Also many new Player without equipment get killed right at the beginning when they leave the town cause people doesn't care if it is unfair or not. These people also quit the game for rage cause "op-er" or just stronger player kill them for medals.
I would suggest to do a 24 or 48 h safe time for the beginnign player so they can leave the spawn and build up a base and don't directly die.

XP-Boost: Good idea but people for example in germany or just another time zone always miss them.
A solution would be to do a little xp boost which beginns when the player joins so he won't miss that much.

I hope this suggestions make the server a bit better and also brings new people in it that there is a bigger community and more fun.

0xNaomi

Legacy Supporter 6
Retired Staff
I think a tutorial book exists, at least on Test. It's very long and I don't think many people who wouldn't read the wiki would read it.

Stuff is in the works to not drop medals on death of low lvl t1 class players to as to disincentivize newb farming.

XP boosts happening in odd times happens, that's just how realtime works.

darki12

Stone
Just do a short book with basic informations i could write them.
And an save time of 48 h can fix the problem. And something like in the first week they don't drop medals would be great.

What the huge problem is that new players join but don't stay

Eneokun

Max Legacy Supporter
But for new people there are huge problems. And i wanna list them and also create some suggestions to optimise this server.

You spawn in a Tutorial word and there is a huge amount of text to read but if you read the text you just know things about the modpack or classes. Many Player doesn't know what they should do when they are on the Spawn.
An easy way to fix this is just to create a starter tutorial/guide book where you can read what the best things are.

Already exists, it's a little out of date by now, but I think the reason why it's not back in game is because the majority doesn't care about it. Old command was /bookrules get 1. If not, there's still the wiki which contains all the information you could find about the server hc.to/wiki.

TimForReal

AdminForReal
Rules Council
Architect
Herald
Event Team
Max Legacy Supporter

Also many new Player without equipment get killed right at the beginning when they leave the town cause people doesn't care if it is unfair or not. These people also quit the game for rage cause "op-er" or just stronger player kill them for medals.
I would suggest to do a 24 or 48 h safe time for the beginnign player so they can leave the spawn and build up a base and don't directly die.

XP-Boost: Good idea but people for example in germany or just another time zone always miss them.
A solution would be to do a little xp boost which beginns when the player joins so he won't miss that much.

I hope this suggestions make the server a bit better and also brings new people in it that there is a bigger community and more fun.

Good suggestions.

We're always interested in making the process for new players more streamlined, but I don't think a lengthy book will help as players won't even read what we have now.

The idea of a safe timer was something we were interested in before, maybe we can add this if possible.

Boosts are player purchased and will not be controlled in the manned that you suggest. Luck of the draw.

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8
1: Hc.to/guide

2: /kit starter for now (gives basic tools and some food). Talk of Noob invuln based on time for later.

3: eh, I think people would be discouraged if they're xp went down after some time.

darki12

Stone
kit starter doesn't help you against people who are level 60
the book can also be 1 side just a basic beginner guide
seriously who knows the Hc.to/guide link beginner won't use them just put the book automaticly in their inventory when they finished the tutorial

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8
kit starter doesn't help you against people who are level 60
the book can also be 1 side just a basic beginner guide
seriously who knows the Hc.to/guide link beginner won't use them just put the book automaticly in their inventory when they finished the tutorial
People won't read it. You can't put "just the beginner" stuff on 1 page. There's just too much for that.

WitchOnaRampage

Legacy Supporter 9
The starter book is not currently available and hasn't been updated in a long while.

@darki12 I'd be very interested to talk to you about your new player experience and to hear which information you would have found most helpful to have at the start. I'm starting a convo with you.

Tutorial: When I started out on this map I found the guide quite helpful, and had no problem navigating spawn. Everything on this server seems rather self explanatory. Of course the guide may be much harder to understand if someone has a limited understanding of English or dyslexia (I have the later), but even then they kept it simple enough that I had very few problems. I think that the book guide could be very helpful in explaining the economy, helping people choose a profession, or answering some FAQs. Other than that I cannot think of a whole lot that could be added since class info is presented in the tutorial and the home page of the server.

Safe Timer: I joined the server the server while the number of players was at their peak and built my base about 200m West of spawn. I was killed once and raided a couple times, but I had very little problems so long as I stayed hidden and hid my valuables. I always randomly wander around the server with no armor and even then I am generally safe unless I get too close to a PvP dungeon. I think that instead of a 24-48 hour safety it could be a 3 hour timer that only counts down while a player is online. This gives them enough time to get settled down, but little else. Just keep in mind this is a hardcore PvP server.

XP: Tim covered this.

Watermelon_01

Legacy Supporter 2
2 steak helps for killing like a zombie or too. i guess if you want people to only play for like 5 minutes then its fine
I feel that /kit starter isn't meant for the beginners at all but that it is more for those that need a tool to break a few blocks when they are far from home or if they need just a bit of food to farm for just a bit longer. Honestly I think that this kit should be renamed and a new kit with at least a bit of armor and a few iron tools should be made as a one-time kit.

iAlchemist

Legacy Supporter 3
I feel that /kit starter isn't meant for the beginners at all but that it is more for those that need a tool to break a few blocks when they are far from home or if they need just a bit of food to farm for just a bit longer. Honestly I think that this kit should be renamed and a new kit with at least a bit of armor and a few iron tools should be made as a one-time kit.
No. No handouts, even if it is a one time thing. Gather some resources with the minimal amount of items you can find.

Junarcel

Legacy Supporter 3

Get your spelling right, darki

darki12

Stone
Get your spelling right, darki
It was night when i wrote this. Also not the spelling is important. It's the text. We all know you don't care about this threat, so you can go away. You just kill all the time low people without any armor to get a better KD. Congratulations you killed only noobs.