• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion New Cauldron Recipes

TheTXLibra

Legacy Supporter 8
Howdy. Since the current cauldron list mostly consists of things that used to be difficult to obtain, but are now easy to obtain (like cocoa beans), I thought I'd suggest some new items along with formulas to them, and justification.

Blaze Powder = Glowstone Dust + Redstone Dust + Gunpowder
Justification: Blaze Powder (or Blaze Rod) is a required component of critical items like Brewing Stands, Fire Charges, Eye of Ender, Several Potions. However, the rods and powder themselves are a non-renewable resource that only appear as a random drop from very rare, incredibly hard to fight mobs, that only appear in incredibly rare locations, in a (currently) inaccesible part of the world (though later will merely be incredibly hard to access). It would be hard for even one player in a normal game of Minecraft to get even one blaze rod, much less a whole server full of players, many of whom will be alchemists. Further, having the ability to create brewing stands and potions will not unbalance the game, rather it will enhance it for the rest of the player base. The requirement of glowstone still keeps the availability of blaze powder rare enough to match the value of glowstone dust, at least. Role-play wise, the combination of elements makes sense.

Chiseled Stone Brick (aka Circular Stone Brick) = Stone Brick + Iron Pick
Justification: There's no real role-play reason why this stone should not be available, as a human capable of crafting a dispenser should have no trouble chisling some simple designs into stone. The only reasons it's rare is because it naturally does not occur often. However, it could be argued that the intricate design would use up a whole iron pick to chisel each side, and the requirement of 3 iron bars per block would keep the market from being overly flooded with them.

Coal/Diamond/Emerald Ore = Derivative + Stone + Coal
Justification: These ores only ever spawn one of their derivative, except in the case of miners, who have a slight chance at more drops. However, the requirement of Coal would outweigh the numerical advantage. This would allow new decorations to go in place. If the ability to farm experience were a concern, again, consider the cost of the coal to make it, as well as the time and hassle involved. If it's still a concern, raise the amount of coal or derivative required.

Glowstone Block = Gold Bar + Diamond + Redstone + Lava Bucket
Justification: A good way for the server to obtain enough glowstone to meet demand for things like Redstone Lamps, Light Blocks, and derivative glowstone products (like possibly blaze powder). The high cost of the formula ensures it would not be created (or placed) haphazardly.

Nether Wart = Mycelium + Obsidian + Emerald
Justification: See Blaze Rod justification above. The only thing rarer than Netherwart is a Blaze Rod, yet it's an absolutely critical ingredient for any potion besides weakness.

Silverfish Block = Stone Brick + Rotten Flesh + Chicken Egg
Justification: It would be great to have yet another way to create a trap for intruders that is impossible to tell from its common counterpart. Yet to be effective, there would need to be just enough of them to be occasionally triggered, so we don't want to make the recipe too hard. Rotten fles and Chicken eggs are juuuust hard enough to get to make getting a stack of silverfish blocks a real challenge.

Spawn Eggs = (TDB)
Justification: Depends if these are one-shot items or not. I know you have to activate (not throw) the egg to spawn its derivative creature, but not sure if that consumes the egg. If eggs are one-shot, it might be fun to be able to create the eggs. I didn't want to suggest formulas for them until suggesting the idea, however. Obviouslly, if it can only be used once, and the expense of materials is significant enough, it would not be unduly abused. (for instance, if each egg required a gold bar plus the other components)

Nether Brick = Obsidian + Stone Brick
Justification: Netherbrick is a fantastic additional building component, but is currently completely unavailable, and wouldn't unbalance the game to make available. Even once Hell is open for business, it's still so incredibly rare as to be mostly unusable. Requiring Obsidian would allow VERY dedicated players to obtain enough to use for most any reasonable project while at the same time limiting it enough to prevent buildings composed of nothing but it.

Nether Fence = Obsidian + Fence
Justification: See above on Nether Brick.

Soul Sand = Sand + Mossy Cobble
Justification: Hell is currently closed for business, but Soul Sand is a pretty cool block and also required to grow Nether Wort. Since Mossy Cobble must now either be mined from Dungeons, or requires a diamond to produce via cauldrons, the amount of Soul Sand created via cauldron would be duly limited.

for the spawn eggs maybe wen 1.4 comes out we can use the heads dropped for mobs in the recipe along with other things...

_KittyGotWet_

Banned
Mostly good stuff, but a few things I have in mind.
This is too easy to craft, the materials can be eraned in 5 seconds. I'd go for higher grade pick and add another reagent, e.g slimeball, diamond...

Coal/Diamond/Emerald Ore
Ores aren't placable, so these may need to be change these specific to ores to be able to place them.

Have you seen what's needed to make Mycelium? The intrinsic value of Alchemy made Nether Warts would be way more than what they'd sell for.

Spawn Eggs = (TDB)
I personally don't like the idea of seeing spawn eggs and silverfish being spawned around the place by players. It doesn't really fit the RPG feel the server is going for at the moment.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Howdy. Since the current cauldron list mostly consists of things that used to be difficult to obtain, but are now easy to obtain (like cocoa beans), I thought I'd suggest some new items along with formulas to them, and justification.

Blaze Powder = Glowstone Dust + Redstone Dust + Gunpowder
Justification: Blaze Powder (or Blaze Rod) is a required component of critical items like Brewing Stands, Fire Charges, Eye of Ender, Several Potions. However, the rods and powder themselves are a non-renewable resource that only appear as a random drop from very rare, incredibly hard to fight mobs, that only appear in incredibly rare locations, in a (currently) inaccesible part of the world (though later will merely be incredibly hard to access). It would be hard for even one player in a normal game of Minecraft to get even one blaze rod, much less a whole server full of players, many of whom will be alchemists. Further, having the ability to create brewing stands and potions will not unbalance the game, rather it will enhance it for the rest of the player base. The requirement of glowstone still keeps the availability of blaze powder rare enough to match the value of glowstone dust, at least. Role-play wise, the combination of elements makes sense.

Justification: There's no real role-play reason why this stone should not be available, as a human capable of crafting a dispenser should have no trouble chisling some simple designs into stone. The only reasons it's rare is because it naturally does not occur often. However, it could be argued that the intricate design would use up a whole iron pick to chisel each side, and the requirement of 3 iron bars per block would keep the market from being overly flooded with them.

Coal/Diamond/Emerald Ore = Derivative + Stone + Coal
Justification: These ores only ever spawn one of their derivative, except in the case of miners, who have a slight chance at more drops. However, the requirement of Coal would outweigh the numerical advantage. This would allow new decorations to go in place. If the ability to farm experience were a concern, again, consider the cost of the coal to make it, as well as the time and hassle involved. If it's still a concern, raise the amount of coal or derivative required.

Glowstone Block = Gold Bar + Diamond + Redstone + Lava Bucket
Justification: A good way for the server to obtain enough glowstone to meet demand for things like Redstone Lamps, Light Blocks, and derivative glowstone products (like possibly blaze powder). The high cost of the formula ensures it would not be created (or placed) haphazardly.

Justification: See Blaze Rod justification above. The only thing rarer than Netherwart is a Blaze Rod, yet it's an absolutely critical ingredient for any potion besides weakness.

Justification: It would be great to have yet another way to create a trap for intruders that is impossible to tell from its common counterpart. Yet to be effective, there would need to be just enough of them to be occasionally triggered, so we don't want to make the recipe too hard. Rotten fles and Chicken eggs are juuuust hard enough to get to make getting a stack of silverfish blocks a real challenge.

Spawn Eggs = (TDB)
Justification: Depends if these are one-shot items or not. I know you have to activate (not throw) the egg to spawn its derivative creature, but not sure if that consumes the egg. If eggs are one-shot, it might be fun to be able to create the eggs. I didn't want to suggest formulas for them until suggesting the idea, however. Obviouslly, if it can only be used once, and the expense of materials is significant enough, it would not be unduly abused. (for instance, if each egg required a gold bar plus the other components)

Nether Brick = Obsidian + Stone Brick
Justification: Netherbrick is a fantastic additional building component, but is currently completely unavailable, and wouldn't unbalance the game to make available. Even once Hell is open for business, it's still so incredibly rare as to be mostly unusable. Requiring Obsidian would allow VERY dedicated players to obtain enough to use for most any reasonable project while at the same time limiting it enough to prevent buildings composed of nothing but it.

Nether Fence = Obsidian + Fence
Justification: See above on Nether Brick.

Soul Sand = Sand + Mossy Cobble
Justification: Hell is currently closed for business, but Soul Sand is a pretty cool block and also required to grow Nether Wort. Since Mossy Cobble must now either be mined from Dungeons, or requires a diamond to produce via cauldrons, the amount of Soul Sand created via cauldron would be duly limited.
I enjoy almost all of these... who wants to do the config work for us?

TheTXLibra

Legacy Supporter 8
If by the config work, you mean the actual cauldron recipe code, I'd be happy to. It's one of the few bukkit plugins I figured out how to do correctly back when I briefly ran my own POS server (which incidentally gave me a HUGE appreciation for the admins' work here, btw). What, if anything would you like changed?

BTW, Kitty, I'll address your reply in a bit, working on a project at work atm, but didn't want you to think I was ignoring you. You make some good points.

Alator

Ancient Soul
Legacy Supporter 7
Remastered Tier 2 Supporter
Code:
recipes:
  # the unique identifier of the recipe
  default:
    # the readable name that is displayed when the recipe is cooked
    name: "Default Recipe"
    # a description of the recipe that describes what ingredients are needed
    description: "Throw together some coal and brown wool to craft a diamond and black wool."
    ingredients:
      # 5x coal
      coal: 5
      # 3x brown wool
      'wool:12': 3
    results:
      diamond: 1
      # 1x black wool
      '35:15': 1

Gogogo

TheTXLibra

Legacy Supporter 8
Alrighty, I'll get it done as soon as babt falls asleep. Right now I'm one-handed, feeding baby.

Also I haven't forgotten you, Kitty, just haven't had a chance to reply well yet.

TheTXLibra

Legacy Supporter 8
Okay, here's my belated response, Kitty. Sorry it took so long.

RE: Chiseled Stone (Circle-Stone)
This is too easy to craft, the materials can be eraned in 5 seconds. I'd go for higher grade pick and add another reagent, e.g slimeball, diamond...

I would be more inclined to agree if the block had any function other than decorative (like an enchanting table), or was particularly strong, (like obsidian), or was a necessary ingredient for another item (like iron), but it's not. It's just a piece of smoothstone with some circles carved in it. You can easily break enough smoothstone to make a small room with even a wooden pick. So an iron pick should be more than sufficient to carve one little block. Likewise, there's no role-playing reason why it should need other reagents like a slimeball (it's not sticky, slippery, or even organic). It's just a stone block, with circles in it. I honestly think the only reason you can't craft it at the moment is lack of foresight on the part of the developers of Minecraft. There's just no good reason to artificially keep them incredibly scarce. And while, yes, 3 iron can be earned fairly quickly, if you are using a structural design that calls for a stack or two of circular stone blocks, that is actually 3-6 stacks of iron right there. Asking someone to require 3 diamonds or 3 gold (the components of a higher grade pick), to get one circular stone block is, in my humble opinion, beyond overkill. I don't even think it should take 1 diamond to make this kind of block, again, there being no good reason for artificial scarcity.

RE: Ores
Ores aren't placable, so these may need to be change these specific to ores to be able to place them.

Not sure, actually. I haven't tried to place them. I guess if they want them placable they'll make them placable, and if not, then it would indeed be a pointless recipe.

Have you seen what's needed to make Mycelium? The intrinsic value of Alchemy made Nether Warts would be way more than what they'd sell for.

Mycelium is indeed difficult to obtain, but not impossible. However, the wise Alchemist would not use the cauldron-created Netherwort for a potion. Instead they would break it into 2-4 seeds, plant them in soul-sand, and harvest them, like wheat, and continue the cycle until they had an adequate supply to make potions with. Think of the Mycelium as part of "The Startup Cost" of being able to make potions on a regular basis.

The corollary to this is, of course, that Netherwort be allowed to grow. As far as I know, Minecraft currently allows Netherwort to grow in the normal world, so long as it is planted in soul sand, and when broken, produces 2-4 seeds. If this is wrong, however, then it behooves me to change the formula to something considerably more practical.

I personally don't like the idea of seeing spawn eggs and silverfish being spawned around the place by players. It doesn't really fit the RPG feel the server is going for at the moment.

Spawn eggs, I'm on the fence about, but of course, it's Chief's call. To be honest, I believe he'll say no, as, historically, his policy on creating spawn areas has been "no." However, since the eggs are 1-shot (I think), perhaps he'll allow these. Even if they are disabled not to work, they might still make cool decorative pieces.

As for Silverfish blocks, I rather like the idea, myself. It would be kind of like the Lo-Jack effect on cars in the real world. Lo-Jack is this basically undetectable theft-prevention system that, while only installed in about 5% of cars, has the effect of deterring theft because the criminal has no idea if the car he's boosting has Lo-Jack or not, in most cases (unless the owner is dumb enough to put a sticker on the window). Even when cars do get boosted, they often get left in a parking lot for a few days afterward to see if the police recover the vehicle. Only the police got wise to that, and just started waiting and watching the vehicle found in the lot to see if someone came back to get it. From there, they go bust up the chop shop (or get a nice bribe, depending on what city you're in).

So Silverfish blocks would be a wonderful theft deterrent. Sure, not every stone brick block is going to be a silverfish block (that would be an ugly-ass building). But it might make going into someone's home and ripping up floors/walls, looking for loot, that much less appealing to the potential thief, if they know it's possibly a silverfish block.

As for it "not fitting the RPG feel," I beg to differ. This is a world where magic is commonplace, farmers have the ability to summon livestock, necros can summon undead, and alchemists can transmute metals and create blocks via cauldron. Disciples can call down the blessing or wrath of g-d from the sky with all the difficulty of ordering a value meal from McDonald's, and mages can fireball the shit out of you right after being born. How is the creation of a block that can spawn bugs "not fitting the RPG feel," exactly?

I'm about to get the kids ready for school. I'll get to work on the code once the buggers sweet little angels are out of the house.

TheTXLibra

Legacy Supporter 8
Sorry this took so long, I forgot I actually had to work today. Anyway, here are all the recipes in code format, except for the Ores (since it's unknown if they can be placed at this time) and the Mob Eggs (because I don't know what Chief's view is on these yet).

I'll be happy to test these out if/when they are implemented. Per Alator's template, I did not include the "chance for creation" and reckoned that was probably controlled by Heroes Code.

recipes:
# the unique identifier of the recipe
default:
# the readable name that is displayed when the recipe is cooked

name: "Blaze Powder"
description: "Blaze Powder = Glowstone Dust + Redstone Dust + Gunpowder."
ingredients:
348: 1
331: 1
289: 1
results:
377: 1

name: "Chisled Stone"
description: "Chiseled Stone Brick (aka Circular Stone Brick) = Stone Brick + Iron Pick"
ingredients:
98: 1
257: 1
results:
'98:3': 1

name: "Glowstone Block"
description: "Glowstone Block = Gold Bar + Diamond + Redstone + Lava Bucket."
ingredients:
266: 1
264: 1
331: 1
327: 1
results:
89: 1

name: "Nether Wart"
description: "Nether Wart = Mycelium + Obsidian + Emerald"
ingredients:
110: 1
49: 1
388: 1
results:
115: 1

name: "Silverfish Block"
description: "Silverfish Block = Stone Brick + Rotten Flesh + Chicken Egg."
ingredients:
367: 1
344: 1
results:
97: 1

name: "Nether Brick"
description: "Nether Brick = Obsidian + Stone Brick."
ingredients:
results:
112: 1

name: "Nether Fence"
description: "Nether Fence = Obsidian + Fence"
ingredients:
85: 1
results:
113: 1

name: "Soul Sand"
description: "Soul Sand = Sand + Mossy Cobble."
ingredients:
12: 1
48: 1
results:
88: 1

TheTXLibra

Legacy Supporter 8
So, a few additional ones I was thinking of making recipes for, if there's interest...

• End Stone
  • Sponge (not like they're functional anymore, but still a cool block to play with)
  • End-Portal Frame (note: you can't create an end-portal w/ frame blocks, only the naturally created ones work.
There are also some VERY exciting new blocks and items coming out soon in new updates. Eeeeee!
http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Block_&_Data_values

Alator

Ancient Soul
Legacy Supporter 7
Thanks Libra! We'll look these over. We are thinking of using end stone and possibly sponge for quest rewards, so don't make anything for them yet. I can't see anything negative about making end portal frames, but I'd say it's up to Kainzo.

FalseLuck

Legacy Supporter 7
Thanks Libra! We'll look these over. We are thinking of using end stone and possibly sponge for quest rewards, so don't make anything for them yet. I can't see anything negative about making end portal frames, but I'd say it's up to Kainzo.

If the ore one gets put in to place the diamond one should be pretty high and if possible negate all exp gained on placed ores permanently. Maybe set the cost of an ore block to be 9?

TheTXLibra

Legacy Supporter 8
If the ore one gets put in to place the diamond one should be pretty high and if possible negate all exp gained on placed ores permanently. Maybe set the cost of an ore block to be 9?

I don't think there's actually a way to negate exp on placed ores, only to delay it by x ticks or seconds.

FalseLuck

Legacy Supporter 7
I don't think there's actually a way to negate exp on placed ores, only to delay it by x ticks or seconds.
Hmm... Well lets see, at the end of dragon I had 5 stacks of diamond blocks... and I played for like 2 months...

Sooo that's 2,880 diamonds... if the cost is 9diamonds/ore then I've got 320 ores, *60xp/ea that's 19,200exp... Which is quite a lot :p

Shadoram

Legacy Supporter 7
I would love to see cobweb there as well.

Regarding spawner eggs, imagine the fun trapps you can do with eggs a pulse IC and a dispenser :-D

TheTXLibra

Legacy Supporter 8

Howdy Alator. I was just curious how the progress is going on implementing the new Cauldron recipes. I know y'all are swamped with bug reports, suggestions, and normal everyday drama, plus real-life, so I don't want this to come across as nagging. More just checking in.

Alator

Ancient Soul
Legacy Supporter 7
Yeah, had some personal stuff going on and work had me busy the last couple days.

Everything looks good except for the silverfish block. I won't be adding this just because it makes towns able to mass-amount exp-granting mobs. I will be testing these later today and adding them in once they check out :)

TheTXLibra

Legacy Supporter 8
Yeah, had some personal stuff going on and work had me busy the last couple days.

Everything looks good except for the silverfish block. I won't be adding this just because it makes towns able to mass-amount exp-granting mobs. I will be testing these later today and adding them in once they check out :)

What if we changed the formula to something more difficult, like Mossy Cobble, that's just rare enough to make "mass production" of exp-granting mobs impossible, and in fact, probably the cost wouldn't be worth it for XP sake.