• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

More Spellcaster Reagents / Item Requirements

Petator

Glowing Redstone
With the recent addition of the graveyard system, I feel that casters and healers in general need a nerf on their effectiveness while naked.

When rogues and warriors resurrect at the graveyards, they're often many chunks away from the nearest gear necessary to make them even slightly useful in combat. When healers and casters resurrect, their only damage restriction is having to wait a little while for mana to replenish.

This means that when opposing combatants respawn at the same graveyard, the casters and healers always have a distinct advantage. Not only that, but when a battle occurs reasonably close to a gy, casters can reinforce practically endlessly without much effort beyond sprinting -- something that the gy system aimed to remove.

Keep in mind that many rogue and warrior classes have some spellcaster abilities -- or abilities with only a mana cost (like bite). I'd like these to be affected too.

---

I suggest that, to balance this, a few reagents and inventory checks be added to major, if not all "spells". This means all disables, nukes, buffs, and heals, that do not already need reagents, regardless of the class casting it. Here are a few ideas I had. I don't think all of them should be implemented (especially not all on top of each other), but I believe they're all steps forward:

-Extremely cheap reagents for big ticket spells and disables, for instance coal or redstone for bolt or deep freeze. Classes should probably require one type of reagent to save space (i.e. redstone for wizards/clerics, bones for necros/bm's, coal for geos, etc.)

-Inventory checks for all skills. A certain item must be present in the player's inventory for spells to have full effect/not cost greater amounts of mana. For example, a wizard must have a diamond to channel his spells through or else his fireballs and bolts do less damage or cost more. The diamond wouldn't be consumed, it just has to be in the inventory.

-Weapon checks. Spells have reduced effectiveness if the hero doesn't have his primary weapon. Maybe make spell effectiveness scale slightly with weapon quality, as well.

-Higher level spells, heals, and disables get locked on respawn until the caster or healer does something that would be similar to grabbing a new set of weapons, like consume a book.

Thoughts?

Digger360

Obsidian
I agree. Magic based classes never need to risk items. This makes Caster classes have nothing to lose, and everything to gain. A Caster/healer Should only be able to use powerful spells when they have a hold hoe in there inven, To balance the risk factor, as well as kill naked camping.

Petator

Glowing Redstone
I agree. Magic based classes never need to risk items. This makes Caster classes have nothing to lose, and everything to gain. A Caster/healer Should only be able to use powerful spells when they have a hold hoe in there inven, To balance the risk factor, as well as kill naked camping.

Lol, yeah, pretty much. I hadn't specifically thought of gear risk in pvp for this thread, but that's a great point.

All, say, a Wizard needs for maximum effectivness in any random matchup is a diamond hoe, some bones, some gunpowder, and maybe some armor (but they only get leather, so it's usually not worth it)

Meanwhile, a good Bard build for random pvp is full chain (which is now very hard to get), a jukebox, a diamond sword for assblade, a bow, and some diamonds for quicken.

That is quite a discrepancy in gear costs, if you ask me.