• Guest, we are doing a new map (refresh) for Herocraft. Gather your friends and get ready! Coming next Friday, 06/28/24 @ 7PM CT play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Monsters Spawn only on the surface at night

Roadkill909

ICE ICE ICE!
If you haven't noticed mobs spawns are low, and this will be fixed in time. However even in Warshard, the hostile mob spawn rates on the surface were low. Mobs do spawn in caves at night, which makes them inaccessible to 'hunters' and usually a waste of server resources. So as the title says, I'm suggesting that mob spawns are modified and their locations affected in the following ways:
  • these changes only happen in warshard and bastion
  • hostile mobs that spawn naturally (excludes spawners) will spawn only on the surface at night provided that the light level on the surface is not above 10.
  • some or all mobs spawned in caves during the day are teleported near dusk up to the surface provided that surface is not lit up above light level 10
From a plugin standpoint, this isn't very difficult, I'm also willing to code it. Here are some effects of this that I would categorize them into pros or cons, but whether they are a pro or con is a matter of opinion:
  • Hostile mob population on the surface is visibly better
  • Less "wasted" inaccessible mobs in caves
  • "Hunting" and subsequently leveling is easier and faster
  • Traveling at night may be more difficult.
  • More calculations on every mob spawn
  • Mining is easier at night
Discuss away!

Dsawemd

Wiki Team
Legacy Supporter 8
This plugin with warshard would replace the need for an overly large adventure world, allowing for a true customized adventure map, focused on quests that Kainzo mentioned, and prevent that area from just becoming a grind zone. I like it

S

ShizzDawgg

I like it, but I can't like it because I don't have permission.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
If you haven't noticed mobs spawns are low, and this will be fixed in time. However even in Warshard, the hostile mob spawn rates on the surface were low. Mobs do spawn in caves at night, which makes them inaccessible to 'hunters' and usually a waste of server resources. So as the title says, I'm suggesting that mob spawns are modified and their locations affected in the following ways:
  • these changes only happen in warshard and bastion
  • hostile mobs that spawn naturally (excludes spawners) will spawn only on the surface at night provided that the light level on the surface is not above 10.
  • some or all mobs spawned in caves during the day are teleported near dusk up to the surface provided that surface is not lit up above light level 10
From a plugin standpoint, this isn't very difficult, I'm also willing to code it. Here are some effects of this that I would categorize them into pros or cons, but whether they are a pro or con is a matter of opinion:

• Hostile mob population on the surface is visibly better
  • Less "wasted" inaccessible mobs in caves
  • "Hunting" and subsequently leveling is easier and faster
  • Traveling at night may be more difficult.
Discuss away!

These are massive cons in my opinion - we can't re-calculate every spawn when we start getting into the 1000's of mobs. This will dramatically affect TPS with 150+ online. I'm all for a "fix" for this - but I think the better fix would be to fix it inside the codebase not with a plugin...

[DOUBLEPOST=1347893209,1347893181][/DOUBLEPOST]
Update: I dabbled around in coding this, haven't tested it, but it's very simple and under 100 lines.
I'm all for testing it :) so lemme know what you got