• Guest, we are doing a new map (refresh) for Herocraft. Gather your friends and get ready! Coming next Friday, 06/28/24 @ 7PM CT play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Modify Healing spells to shoot Healing potions

Roadkill909

ICE ICE ICE!
So I have been messing around with Splash Potions for one of my plugins, and I had an idea for HC. Replace bandage (or other healing spells) with a skill that shoots Healing Potions.

This offers an interesting tradeoff, which makes healing easier and harder at the same time. There would no longer be a need to type rapidly or configure multiple binds as you could just point bandage at the player you wanted to heal, and therein lies the tradeoff: healing would require semi-skilled aiming as well being within range. This means Heals could no longer be as easily spammed accurately and safely from the back of the party in cover.

Technical Notes:
  • You can configure how much a healing potion heals through bukkit/heroes, so controlling the amount isn't an issue. Bandage, for example, can heal 150 provided you hit the player.
  • You can also control who the potion affects so that you don't hurt/heal mobs or nonparty players. This also means you can also control how many people are healed, and how much they are healed for.
  • You can add other effects to the potion as well.
Now, it could be allowed to let Bandage and other singular healing spells heal multiple party members if they are within the splash range, but this would obviously make group heal less unique to cleric. My solution to that would be just having group heal launch several potions in different directions, or having splash potions spawn above partymember's heads.

As with any suggestion I make, I'm more than willing to code it up myself, and code it to any staff-given specifications.

Off-topic: Today I messed with the ability to shoot splash potions from bows, and have the velocity affected by charging, which is very possible and quite awesome. Might make an interesting perk for some class. Healers shooting health potions, or rogues shooting poison would be interesting, but a challenge to implement and balance.

Shadownub

ICE ICE ICE!
Legacy Supporter 3
Pretty interesting, I kinda like it. Throwing healing potions isn't the easiest thing to do in combat, makes the healer role a little more skilful than spamming binds and watching health bars like we do at the moment. All the same, it's very different to what we have now.

K

_KittyGotWet_

Interesting idea, but I don't like it. It's already hard enough for a healer to defend itself in combat and having to look down at the floor to throw your potion at yourself will leave you more vulnerable. I don't see any advantages for the healer in changing their skills to pots, which leaves this as a massive nerf on a class that really doesn't need it.

kevinlive

Legacy Supporter 2
Interesting idea, but I don't like it. It's already hard enough for a healer to defend itself in combat and having to look down at the floor to throw your potion at yourself will leave you more vulnerable. I don't see any advantages for the healer in changing their skills to pots, which leaves this as a massive nerf on a class that really doesn't need it.
Buff healing; make it harder to master?

Roadkill909

ICE ICE ICE!
It's already hard enough for a healer to defend itself in combat and having to look down at the floor to throw your potion at yourself will leave you more vulnerable.

I really didn't see that as much of a concern. The time you need to look down is very negligible and if the enemy is close enough, if you throw it at them, it'll heal only you (since it can be coded to not heal them).

Here's an idea: If you're not in a party, no potion effect. That will solve the problem when you're alone. There's also always an option to increase healing amounts to compensate for increased difficulty of use.

Buff healing; make it harder to master?

It's more of a nerf than a buff, but requiring some skill at aiming than spamming commands is much better gameplay in my opinion. I'd rather play the Healing FPS than the Healing text adventure. And like I said to Kitty, there's always an option to increase healing amounts to compensate for increased difficulty of use.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
So I have been messing around with Splash Potions for one of my plugins, and I had an idea for HC. Replace bandage (or other healing spells) with a skill that shoots Healing Potions.

This offers an interesting tradeoff, which makes healing easier and harder at the same time. There would no longer be a need to type rapidly or configure multiple binds as you could just point bandage at the player you wanted to heal, and therein lies the tradeoff: healing would require semi-skilled aiming as well being within range. This means Heals could no longer be as easily spammed accurately and safely from the back of the party in cover.

Technical Notes:
  • You can configure how much a healing potion heals through bukkit/heroes, so controlling the amount isn't an issue. Bandage, for example, can heal 150 provided you hit the player.
  • You can also control who the potion affects so that you don't hurt/heal mobs or nonparty players. This also means you can also control how many people are healed, and how much they are healed for.
Now, it could be allowed to let Bandage and other singular healing spells heal multiple party members if they are within the splash range, but this would obviously make group heal less unique to cleric. My solution to that would be just having group heal launch several potions in different directions, or having splash potions spawn above partymember's heads.

As with any suggestion I make, I'm more than willing to code it up myself, and code it to any staff-given specifications.

Off-topic: Today I messed with the ability to shoot splash potions from bows, and have the velocity affected by charging, which is very possible and quite awesome. Might make an interesting perk for some class. Healers shooting health potions, or rogues shooting poison would be interesting, but a challenge to implement and balance.
I'd like to see it first hand Roadkill - I may be interested in this.

Also, the binds can heal other players if you are in the party - otherwise you do have to use /skill Bandage PlayerName.

Roadkill909

ICE ICE ICE!
I'd like to see it first hand Roadkill - I may be interested in this.

Sure thing.

Also, the binds can heal other players if you are in the party - otherwise you do have to use /skill Bandage PlayerName.

I have no idea what you mean by this.

Edit: I think I get it, if you use /skill bind <name>, it still does the instant heal on that player. No bind, a potion is thrown. That right?

K

_KittyGotWet_

Edit: I think I get it, if you use /skill bind <name>, it still does the instant heal on that player. No bind, a potion is thrown. That right?
Yeah, kinda. If you typed /bind bandage <name>, everytime you right click it will only ever heal that person, even if you're facing the wrong way or looking at someone else (There is still limited range). Or of course you can just type /skill bandage <name> if you don't want to have to change a bind.

kevinlive

Legacy Supporter 2
It's more of a nerf than a buff, but requiring some skill at aiming than spamming commands is much better gameplay in my opinion. I'd rather play the Healing FPS than the Healing text adventure. And like I said to Kitty, there's always an option to increase healing amounts to compensate for increased difficulty of use.

That is exactly what I meant with that short sentence :p
Let me rephrase:

Buff heals to compensate for the difficulty change, making it harder, but more rewarding to master the healing technique.

Dazureus

Legacy Supporter 4
It would add to the Minecraftiness of Herocraft if we utilized potions more frequently. I'm all for it.

Kwong050

Holy Shit!

Technical Notes:

Yes! This would add so much more to the healer gameplay making things in someways harder but some ways better

donaldmax1

Soulsand
I think it would add more strategy to have a healer in your raiding party of course they would need some kind of buff to make it balance this.

Shadownub

ICE ICE ICE!
Legacy Supporter 3
I think one thing that could be a bit of an annoyance is that it would be pretty tough to throw potions at allied users while lagging, which would make the healer class difficult to play unless you had a very good connection. Maybe a mixture of this and normal heals could be put in, with this as a powerful heal and some weaker bind heals remaining viable.

F

Falker57

Awesome ideas, I like the shooting potions idea even more though! Shooting potions would be sick!

A

Aburido_burrito

Awesome ideas, I like the shooting potions idea even more though! Shooting potions would be sick!
They should REMOVE gay potions and do this instead :D like poison for necro shoots poison pot slowness bot for constrict etc.

F

Falker57

Potions actually add tons of possibilities to this RPG. May increase the skill to be good at your class.