• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Modding License Fees

jp0249107

TNT
I read on an news aggregator that Notch is going to be requiring modders to pay a license fee to mod Minecraft. I'm not really on one side or the other, more just concerned that restrictions will throttle creativity. What do you all think?

Raolan

TNT
I think if Notch requires modders to pay a license fee, goodbye creativity. I doubt many modders will actually keep making mods, other than the big time ones.

Beyondvalor

Legacy Supporter 5

Because of overwhelming feedback, the cost of the mod api access will be 0 dollars.

Our intention wasn’t to make money off selling the access, only to ensure some level of quality. Obviously that wasn’t the most popular idea in the world. ;)

Can I go back to working on the maps now?

Case closed, haha.

EvilPhD

Air
One of the main reasons that Minecraft has been so successful is because of the ability to be creative and really make the game your own.

Many extremely successful games were like this. SC1, Tribes, Unreal Tournament come to mind. Players create their own maps, worlds, mods and then they have a riot. While they do that they tell their buddy, which tells their buddy and more people buy the game.

Why in the world would Notch need to squeeze more money off the game is beyond me unless the money is going to his head, which does happen.

Bottom line is history serves us well by showing constantly that devs that destroy the community's ability to create, destroy the community's love for the game along with that lucrative word-of-mouth advertising that brings in the bacon!

I'm glad Notch came to his senses, but the fact that he is thinking like this is a truly disturbing development.

Raetac

Legacy Supporter 4
I think you'll find its a case in intellectual property. I believe that as things are now, Notch has to approach modders to implement mods into source code and they can refuse him even tho the modders have used Notch's code to base the mods on. With the register it gives Notch free reign to incorperate what ever he wants into the source game.