• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Make professions more useful?

Beau_Nearh

Portal
This is a big wall of text, I have provided a summary at the bottom of what the whole post/ suggestion is about. It would be nice for you to read the whole text but it's not nesseary as the summary should cover the main points that I'm outlining. With that said, here's the wall;

From playing on the server more recently, I have seen a few comments regarding the usefulness and main goals of a professional class. Currently because of the actual class types as well as items within the game, it limits what specific professions can do. An example of this would be an farmer compared to a miner. The main advantage miner has over farmer is that you can't actually mine too many resources as they will be used up. But farmers on the other hand will end up with an excess of food/ farmer items ect (let's be honest, all big towns have double chests full of bread, melons, sugar cane, punk ins ect)

Specific regents only gained within specific professional classes

Now my suggestion is to add a main objective/ goal for each profession and maybe even possibly add passive effects that the profession has within it's skill set. This could be done by changing the regents towns need to be created. These regents would be changed to items that will specifically relate to each one of the professions. A few examples could be;

Farmer - has a 0.0001% chance for a Notch apple to drop when harvesting certain crops (this % rate is just an example)
Miner - has a 0.001% chance for a magic emerald to drop when breaking high tier ores (gold, red stone,diamond emerald)
Runesmith - has a 0.1% chance of finding a magic red stone shard when crafting runestones
Smith - has a 0.001% chance of finding a special anvil

You get the point now. Also, all the % rates are just examples and would be based off balance issues. Also, the % rate could be factored to what the profession is doing. This means mining diamond as a miner has a higher chance for the magic regent to drop when mining gold or a lower tier ore.

Passive buffs/ additional skills/ additional attribute levels

Right, when choosing professions. I personally only look at what I need (as a solo player miner is normally the preferred choice). But this is already a problem. There is nothing the other professions have to offer that actually attracts my attention or even makes me consider "do I really need a diamond pickaxe?" Or "do I really want to breed cows?" However, if all professional classes have a passive buff/ skill that is specific to it. It may actually sway my choice and possibly other players.

These passive skills/ buffs could come in the form of the following;

+ additional attributes added to the player
+ skills that apply a effect to the player? (Resistance, fire protection, speed ect)

Right, currently (I am quite sure I'm right here, correct me if I'm wrong) professional classes don't give the player any additional attribute points. However, this could be changed so that each specific class is provided certain attributes. An example of this would be;

+ choosing farmer will grant the player additional attribute points in strength, endurance and agility (the a amount of levels will be dependant on balance issues)

Another great point about this is that it can expand on the actual lore of HC, the farmers over time have gained nearly superhuman strength from all the lifting, pulling and other various activities farming involves (yeah I'm not good at writing stories or backdrops if you didn't tell from that). Now skills that specially relate to each professional class. This could come in the from as farmer gains extra stamina from consuming foods while miner on the other hand can have a skill that grants it resistance I for x amount of time. These are just poor examples but I'm sure you guys and gals can come up with ALOT better ones, right?

Summery

>add special regents needed to create towns only obtainable though certain professions. Eg special emerald that can only be obtained though a miner mining
>make it so each professional class grants the player additional attribute levels within certain areas specific to that class. eg strength for a farmer
>add additional skills that only certain professional classes can use. Eg resistance I for x amount of item for miner

Thankyou for reading and I'd like to hear feedback on this as well as other suggestions!

Beau_Nearh

Portal
Well this would make the classes differ more from eachother, which is good.
Yeah, that's one of the main problems I'm trying to address. Currently each class feels too generic and standard. You come across a paladin, sure you know he's going to be a tank and you have an idea of what attributes it's been spec'ed into. However, you may not know what profession it currently is. And with a passive buff such as increased stamina regen or magic resistance. It would change the whole play style of the class (to an extent that is).

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
We fought hard to not have professions yield -any- kind of direct combat-advantage.

I think the discovery items would be neat but the passive buffs not so much.

Beau_Nearh

Portal
We fought hard to not have professions yield -any- kind of direct combat-advantage.

Thanks for the feedback kainzo!