• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

List of Noob Questions

Hi everyone!

I'm a fairly new player, and I have a few questions I'd like to ask. Sorry for the bother, but I scoured the wiki pages and guides but did not find the answers I was looking for. It's an extensive list. I'll update it as I get answers, and try to put it together into a guide for other new players.

Combat:
1) How much damage does each type of armor prevent, and does that apply to physical damage only, or does it apply to every type? A complete suit of iron armor looks like it will cost 100 endurance-- my suspicion is that the 700 hp you'd get from investing that in constitution is a much better bet since constitution also comes with magic resistance.

2) Any easy ways to bind skills? I typed /bind Strike onto my iron sword, but binding other skills to different items will require me to constantly change my inventory and stop fighting. Is there a way to bind a skill to a specific key stroke?

3) Where do people level? I explored an entire abandoned mineshaft without finding any spawner cages. Exp is very hard to find, and when I was attacked in PVP and won, I didn't get any exp (the person was probably way stronger too since I'd only just hit level 10!).

4) How much damage does lava do? Once I hit 20, I'm thinking about carrying a lava bucket to fight with if I am attacked, but I'm not sure if that's worth the effort for the risk involved.

Residence:
1) People keep discovering my underground base, even though I thought I built it pretty far away from anything interesting. I discovered that it's because people see my name through the blocks of my base. How many blocks deep do I need to be until people can no longer see my name? Are there any blocks that prevent this (blocks that hide our names behind them would be an AWESOME thing for engineers to craft!)

2) Any general guides on hiding bases, treasure, etc? I need to get a locked chest, but 500 souls is a LOT of money. I've only maybe acquired 80 this week through regular voting, mining, and fighting (what I can find). The rest of my money I got when someone tried to kill me and I won (maybe 150-- which I promptly deposited).

3) Can I get a "idiot's guide" to LWCs? The wiki still left a few questions. First, if I donate enough to get free LWCs, how do I know if I'm using a free LWC or buying a LWC when I lock a chest (is it a different command?)? Second, if I have one free LWC, use it, then undo it, did I waste my free one or will the next lock I make be free?

4) Are the residences that people claimed near the Haven spawn donor residences? Or, are those something special?

General:
1) If you level a combat class and then change classes, do you keep the attribute points? Do you continue to gain attribute points as you level different classes?

2) I'm a little confused about how the map Ruins differs from Haven. Are there more spawns there?

3) Besides setting up chest stores, are there any safe ways to trade goods? From what I can find, trade relies on trust so far.

4) Where are all the chest stores? I don't see any near the exchange, but maybe i'm not looking hard enough? Any suggestions on where to go to buy difficult to find stuff?

5) Do people buy cobblestone etc.? Should I hold onto it once I get a few large chests worth? It seems like it takes a ton of space and I'm not sure what to do with it/how to easily transport it to the market anyway.

6) Making money... It seems really slow... am I missing something? Any suggestions besides voting? I rarely find soul drops when mining or fighting.

Class/Profession Specific:
1) Engineer: How much does it cost the engineer to craft ICs? I see the formulas etc on the wiki and the various links, but does the process cost mana, experience, etc.?

2) Enchanter: Do enchantments still cost experience levels? If so, using 30 experience levels to make a sword basically costs months of work if you're at level 60. This seems like it isn't worth the effort, especially since the item will probably break before you get the experience to makeup for what you used. Am I missing something?

3) Paladin: Do shields reduce damage from every side, and does it also reduce non-physical damage (magic, fire, etc)? If iron shields are better, why would anyone ever want to use a trapdoor or wooden shield? Do shields use endurance or something? Do shields break after a while/is the spell temporary? Will a shield even damage attackers who are attacking at range? How does this stack with armor reduction (if armor reduces say 40% of all damage, and shields reduce 20%, will I have 60% reduction or 52%).

That's the list so far, but I'm sure I'll add stuff... sorry for the inconvenience!!!! Thank you!!!

Also, to other new players, feel free to add more questions! I'll update this post every so often to include them.

Archestro

Legacy Supporter 6
Combat:
1) How much damage does each type of armor prevent, and does that apply to physical damage only, or does it apply to every type? A complete suit of iron armor looks like it will cost 100 endurance-- my suspicion is that the 700 hp you'd get from investing that in constitution is a much better bet since constitution also comes with magic resistance. Yes

2) Any easy ways to bind skills? I typed /bind Strike onto my iron sword, but binding other skills to different items will require me to constantly change my inventory and stop fighting. Is there a way to bind a skill to a specific key stroke? Get a Razer Nostromo gaming key board

3) Where do people level? I explored an entire abandoned mineshaft without finding any spawner cages. Exp is very hard to find, and when I was attacked in PVP and won, I didn't get any exp (the person was probably way stronger too since I'd only just hit level 10!). Mob spawners give limited xp. Hunt mob for warrior xp. Mine for crafter.

4) How much damage does lava do? Once I hit 20, I'm thinking about carrying a lava bucket to fight with if I am attacked, but I'm not sure if that's worth the effort for the risk involved. Your attacker probably won't die, but may help to slow them down.

Residence:
1) People keep discovering my underground base, even though I thought I built it pretty far away from anything interesting. I discovered that it's because people see my name through the blocks of my base. How many blocks deep do I need to be until people can no longer see my name? Are there any blocks that prevent this (blocks that hide our names behind them would be an AWESOME thing for engineers to craft!) Check the wiki for Ranger skills

2) Any general guides on hiding bases, treasure, etc? I need to get a locked chest, but 500 souls is a LOT of money. I've only maybe acquired 80 this week through regular voting, mining, and fighting (what I can find). The rest of my money I got when someone tried to kill me and I won (maybe 150-- which I promptly deposited). Hide single chest in tricky spots and pray :)

3) Can I get a "idiot's guide" to LWCs? The wiki still left a few questions. First, if I donate enough to get free LWCs, how do I know if I'm using a free LWC or buying a LWC when I lock a chest (is it a different command?)? Second, if I have one free LWC, use it, then undo it, did I waste my free one or will the next lock I make be free? /lwc limits- will tell you how many lwc you can/have used. If you remove your (free) protections from a chest with /cremove you can protect a new chest for free.

4) Are the residences that people claimed near the Haven spawn donor residences? Or, are those something special? Most "noble plots" can be purchased

General:
1) If you level a combat class and then change classes, do you keep the attribute points? Do you continue to gain attribute points as you level different classes?

2) I'm a little confused about how the map Ruins differs from Haven. Are there more spawns there? Ruins is a resource map. It is a chaos world that has no owned property. Griefing is legal and the map can be reset if the staff deems it appropriate.

3) Besides setting up chest stores, are there any safe ways to trade goods? From what I can find, trade relies on trust so far. It is illegal to scam if the deal is conducted on the Trade channel.

4) Where are all the chest stores? I don't see any near the exchange, but maybe i'm not looking hard enough? Any suggestions on where to go to buy difficult to find stuff? Trade channel

5) Do people buy cobblestone etc.? Should I hold onto it once I get a few large chests worth? It seems like it takes a ton of space and I'm not sure what to do with it/how to easily transport it to the market anyway. You may find a buyer, but most people have tons of cobble. Again Trade channel

6) Making money... It seems really slow... am I missing something? Any suggestions besides voting? I rarely find soul drops when mining or fighting. Money is very slow since the change to Souls. This maybe by design. We are all waiting to see if any changes will be made.

1) Engineer: How much does it cost the engineer to craft ICs? I see the formulas etc on the wiki and the various links, but does the process cost mana, experience, etc.? No cost. Build away.

2) Enchanter: Do enchantments still cost experience levels? If so, using 30 experience levels to make a sword basically costs months of work if you're at level 60. This seems like it isn't worth the effort, especially since the item will probably break before you get the experience to makeup for what you used. Am I missing something? Enchanting is challenging. But remember 30 levels is not half of 60. Lower levels cost less per level. Refer to the wiki for xp level chart.

3) Paladin: Do shields reduce damage from every side, and does it also reduce non-physical damage (magic, fire, etc)? If iron shields are better, why would anyone ever want to use a trapdoor or wooden shield? Do shields use endurance or something? Do shields break after a while/is the spell temporary? Will a shield even damage attackers who are attacking at range? How does this stack with armor reduction (if armor reduces say 40% of all damage, and shields reduce 20%, will I have 60% reduction or 52%).

Thank you for your help.

A few follow-ups:

-I'm not sure which part of the armor question the yes refers to.

-I cant afford a new keyboard right now. They used ot have a legal mod pack, but I think the links are out of date. Are there any current legal mods that do macro binds?

-Regarding residence blocks: I know rangers didnt find me because of the skills they used. There are a certain number of blocks it looks like people can see names through, so I was trying to figure that out.

-I'm still confused about Enchanter. So maybe from what you are saying, the game measures the number of experience points used to make an enchantment and not the number of experience levels used? In vanilla, it uses levels and not experience points I think. Clarification? Sorry to be a bother

Fjordsen

Legacy Supporter 6
-I'm not sure which part of the armor question the yes refers to. Full iron armor certainly does not require 100 Endurance. Use /hero armor in game to see how much weight each piece of armor takes. The armor values are the same as in vanilla Minecraft. Armor reduces phsyical damage, but not magical.

-I cant afford a new keyboard right now. They used ot have a legal mod pack, but I think the links are out of date. Are there any current legal mods that do macro binds? The mod called ''Macros Mod'' is legal.

-Regarding residence blocks: I know rangers didnt find me because of the skills they used. There are a certain number of blocks it looks like people can see names through, so I was trying to figure that out. There are no blocks that will hide your name, if you want to avoid your nametag being seen I suggest speccing into Ninja, Ranger, Bard or Runeblade as they have /skill sneak which allows you to Sneak without restrictions.

-I'm still confused about Enchanter. So maybe from what you are saying, the game measures the number of experience points used to make an enchantment and not the number of experience levels used? In vanilla, it uses levels and not experience points I think. Clarification? Sorry to be a bother I am pretty sure that Enchanters spends Heroes EXP (The one you use to level up your class) to enchant items, if you enchant a lot you'll probably have to mine a lot aswell to keep yourself from de-leveling too much.

Hope this helps @Taranwandering !

Thank you so much!!! I'll update the first post with the answers shortly.

Minecraft Armor (each one representing 8% defense):
Material Full set
Leather
Gold
Chain
Iron
Diamond

If armor doesn't prevent magical, then it does seem like spending 100 endurance for full iron armor is probably a bad idea if you can spend 100 points on constitution and get 775 hp and magic resistance. Granted you wouldn't get phys damage protection, but the extra hp would probably be more than enough to makeup for the amount lost there AND you'd also resist some magic.

Additionally, because the cost of each attribute increases as it gets higher, something like a full leather set might be a MUCH better deal if you compare that to the opportunity cost of lost constitution points.

Am I correct? If so, iron and diamond armor seems sort of like a waste in the long run.

Fjordsen

Legacy Supporter 6
Thank you so much!!! I'll update the first post with the answers shortly.

Minecraft Armor (each one representing 8% defense):
Material Full set
Leather
Gold
Chain
Iron
Diamond

If armor doesn't prevent magical, then it does seem like spending 100 endurance for full iron armor is probably a bad idea if you can spend 100 points on constitution and get 775 hp and magic resistance. Granted you wouldn't get phys damage protection, but the extra hp would probably be more than enough to makeup for the amount lost there AND you'd also resist some magic.

Additionally, because the cost of each attribute increases as it gets higher, something like a full leather set might be a MUCH better deal if you compare that to the opportunity cost of lost constitution points.

Am I correct? If so, iron and diamond armor seems sort of like a waste in the long run.
Iron and Diamond armor is better for countering Melee DPS classes while constitution is better against mages, however with custom items and enchantments I can totally see a full set of leather armor being more useful than one piece of diamond armor in the future.

Jasquan

Legacy Supporter 9
The modpack is updated, it just doesn't have HeroMod in it, and only Manual Installation can be chosen.

Manual Jar Installation v1.6.0

This is to be used by those who know how to modify their minecraft without any other tools.

Current Release:
HeroModPack v1.6.0 for Minecraft 1.6.4

THERE IS A README INSIDE THE ZIP WITH INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS.

1) Make Absolutely sure you are running a clean Minecraft 1.6.2 installation and run Minecraft at least 1 time
2) Download the HeroModPack zip from above
3) Unzip HeroModPack
4) Run "minecraftforge-installer-1.6.2-9.10.0.804.jar" (If you're using a different directory, re-choose the correct minecraft directory)
5) Check "Install client" and click "OK"
6) Run "liteloader-installer-1.6.2-03.jar" and Select "Install LiteLoader" and CHECK "Chain to Minecraft Forge 9.10.0.804" then click OK (Again, if you have a different directory for minecraft, re-choose the correct minecraft directory)
7) Click Start > cmd > %appdata% and select Roaming/.minecraft/
8) Copy the mods and config folder from the unzipped Modpack to the .minecraft/ folder
9) Optional for Optifine! go to the versions/LiteLoader1.6.2/ folder and copy the LiteLoader1.6.2.jar from the HeroModPack into here, replacing the one that was provided.
10) Launch the Minecraft Launcher
11) Select the LiteLoader profile
12) Click "Edit Profile"
13) Check JVM Arguments and paste this over what is already there
Code:
-Xmx1G -Dfml.ignoreInvalidMinecraftCertificates=true -Dfml.ignorePatchDiscrepancies=true
14) Click "Save Profile"
15) Click "Play"! And you should be set up!

Thunderjolt

Legacy Supporter 4
Combat:
1) How much damage does each type of armor prevent, and does that apply to physical damage only, or does it apply to every type? A complete suit of iron armor looks like it will cost 100 endurance-- my suspicion is that the 700 hp you'd get from investing that in constitution is a much better bet since constitution also comes with magic resistance. Damage mitigation is exactly the same as vanilla MC. Though some classes have skills that bypass armor and go straight for the HP.

2) Any easy ways to bind skills? I typed /bind Strike onto my iron sword, but binding other skills to different items will require me to constantly change my inventory and stop fighting. Is there a way to bind a skill to a specific key stroke? Yes! We have a modpack at http://herocraftonline.com/main/threads/releasing-the-heromodpack.33913/ Make sure you follow the instructions and all will be well. After you install the pack you will have a nice minimap along with the ability to bind skills to keys.

3) Where do people level? I explored an entire abandoned mineshaft without finding any spawner cages. Exp is very hard to find, and when I was attacked in PVP and won, I didn't get any exp (the person was probably way stronger too since I'd only just hit level 10!). Mobs are around, there is so many people hunting them that they may seem sparse. The server runs a butcher command at dusk killing all mobs, then the horde comes. I suggest a desert/swamp for optimal mob density. As for spawner cages, i'd stay away from them. Camping spawners and making dark rooms to spawn mobs is illegal here and can get you banned.

4) How much damage does lava do? Once I hit 20, I'm thinking about carrying a lava bucket to fight with if I am attacked, but I'm not sure if that's worth the effort for the risk involved. Lava does quite a large amount of damage, but with how hectic combat gets it's hardly practical. Also, if you are unable to remove the lava and die, you could be slammed for griefing.

Residence:
1) People keep discovering my underground base, even though I thought I built it pretty far away from anything interesting. I discovered that it's because people see my name through the blocks of my base. How many blocks deep do I need to be until people can no longer see my name? Are there any blocks that prevent this (blocks that hide our names behind them would be an AWESOME thing for engineers to craft!) The way I hide my base is that I dig to about 25; it's far enough down that my nameplate is very tiny, and above the depth where people are branch mining for diamonds.

2) Any general guides on hiding bases, treasure, etc? I need to get a locked chest, but 500 souls is a LOT of money. I've only maybe acquired 80 this week through regular voting, mining, and fighting (what I can find). The rest of my money I got when someone tried to kill me and I won (maybe 150-- which I promptly deposited). See my previous answer. LWC's are pretty expensive for non-donors, but it's being worked on.

3) Can I get a "idiot's guide" to LWCs? The wiki still left a few questions. First, if I donate enough to get free LWCs, how do I know if I'm using a free LWC or buying a LWC when I lock a chest (is it a different command?)? Second, if I have one free LWC, use it, then undo it, did I waste my free one or will the next lock I make be free? The command I use to lock chests is /cprivate. In order to remove your protection use /cremove. This SHOULD refund your free LWC but bugs are not unheard of. If this happens you can always contact staff by opening a petition with the command /pe open (message)

4) Are the residences that people claimed near the Haven spawn donor residences? Or, are those something special? They are not spawn residences they are either normal buildings, and or donor residences. Each with their own advantages/disadvantages.

General:
1) If you level a combat class and then change classes, do you keep the attribute points? Do you continue to gain attribute points as you level different classes? No, your attribute points will not carry over from class to class. You will however gain points again with your new class.

2) I'm a little confused about how the map Ruins differs from Haven. Are there more spawns there? Ruins is the map for greylisted players, and whitelisted players that want to travel there. Ruins is a more hostile world where griefing is legal. Haven is the main server map where only whitelisted players can build, griefing here is NOT legal. Although theft IS legal in BOTH maps.

3) Besides setting up chest stores, are there any safe ways to trade goods? From what I can find, trade relies on trust so far. We used to have a trading plugin that is currently not working correctly. The best way to place a trade currently is to change you channel to trade (/ch t) and announce your trade. "Eg: I am trading taranwandering 1 dirt for 1,000,000 souls. Confirm?" Once both parties confirm the trade is binding.

4) Where are all the chest stores? I don't see any near the exchange, but maybe i'm not looking hard enough? Any suggestions on where to go to buy difficult to find stuff? Chest stores will be in the trade district soon, the shops are being purchased and are all very new. Soon there will be a bustling market.

5) Do people buy cobblestone etc.? Should I hold onto it once I get a few large chests worth? It seems like it takes a ton of space and I'm not sure what to do with it/how to easily transport it to the market anyway. Most probably wont buy cobble unless it's in EXTREME bulk. I would recommend not wasting precious chest space with it.

6) Making money... It seems really slow... am I missing something? Any suggestions besides voting? I rarely find soul drops when mining or fighting. The amount of souls you get from mining and killing mobs are being tweaked frequently at the moment as it is a new system, don't lose heart.

1) Engineer: How much does it cost the engineer to craft ICs? I see the formulas etc on the wiki and the various links, but does the process cost mana, experience, etc.? I am honestly not sure as I have never been an engineer. In game use the command /hero who engineer. Then ask one of them :)

2) Enchanter: Do enchantments still cost experience levels? If so, using 30 experience levels to make a sword basically costs months of work if you're at level 60. This seems like it isn't worth the effort, especially since the item will probably break before you get the experience to makeup for what you used. Am I missing something? I AM however an enchanter. This is actually misleading, when I enchant an item I typically lose about 7% of the experience of my current level. Not a small amount, but nothing I can't easily make back in a mining trip.

3) Paladin: Do shields reduce damage from every side, and does it also reduce non-physical damage (magic, fire, etc)? If iron shields are better, why would anyone ever want to use a trapdoor or wooden shield? Do shields use endurance or something? Do shields break after a while/is the spell temporary? Will a shield even damage attackers who are attacking at range? How does this stack with armor reduction (if armor reduces say 40% of all damage, and shields reduce 20%, will I have 60% reduction or 52%). This will be another question for a paladin. You know the command now, right? ;)

All in all, I am VERY impressed with you interest in the server and am glad you are so inquisitive about how it all works. Thank you for formatting your questions in a way that was NOT a wall of text. I expect great things from you @Taranwandering good luck!!!

Thank you SO much!!!!!!!!

One other question: I noticed on the wiki that some classes have max hp values. Are those up-to-date? If I level 100 points in constitution, for example, will I stop gaining hp after a certain point? Or, are the max hp values separate (say passive hp gain per level independent of attribute stats)?

Jasquan

Legacy Supporter 9
Thank you SO much!!!!!!!!

One other question: I noticed on the wiki that some classes have max hp values. Are those up-to-date? If I level 100 points in constitution, for example, will I stop gaining hp after a certain point? Or, are the max hp values separate (say passive hp gain per level independent of attribute stats)?
I think it's the maximum health points for a class with 0 leveled constitution. Otherwise, it's outdated, which is very possible.
@WitchOnaRampage should have better answers to this than I do, actually, better than most of us.

WitchOnaRampage

Legacy Supporter 9
The classes info is up to date as of about 3 days ago.

The base HP is the size of your HP pool when you enter the class at level 1. The max HP is the size of your HP pool when you master at 65, the increase due to a per-level gain in your HP pool.

The values given in the wiki for base and max HP are before any modifier, ie the allocation points to Constitution.

Your HP pool when you join the class, however, might not match these values due to the base Attribute allocation for your class which might put Constitution into the red or the black from the beginning.

The effect of Constitution is to increase the size of your pool - beyond the amount you have at any time due to your level.

Is this clear? I'm finding a lot of this terminology very tricky and am trying to be precise in the terms I use - but any suggestions would be very welcome. Perhaps rather than "base HP" and "max HP" those sections on the class pages should say level 1 and level 65. You see, "max HP" can also be used to describe your HP pool at any level, referring to the amount you have when you're in a fully healed state.

WitchOnaRampage

Legacy Supporter 9
3) Can I get a "idiot's guide" to LWCs? The wiki still left a few questions. First, if I donate enough to get free LWCs, how do I know if I'm using a free LWC or buying a LWC when I lock a chest (is it a different command?)? Second, if I have one free LWC, use it, then undo it, did I waste my free one or will the next lock I make be free?

also @Thunderjolt

If you are still within your pool of free LWCs you should be fine to create and remove and they will still be free. It's when you start placing paid chests that complications arise with getting your free complement again.

I've updated the LWC page in the wiki in the last 24 hours. It now combines the info that was on the Supporters page with the general LWC page. Please let me know if you have further questions that aren't answered on that page ;) or if you think the explanations could be made clearer.

Last edited:

hux0

Legacy Supporter 3
Additionally, you should read the part on the wiki related to personal residences/regions. One of the recent changes was to give whitelisted players the option to have a personal region of 10x10x10 blocks. Other players cannot build/break blocks here, so your belongings should be quite safe inside. At least as long as there is no hole in the roof or whatever would allow raiders to enter your home.