• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Levels + Tools Restrictions

How do you feel about tool restrictions? (with Levels)

• Sounds great!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I hate restricting tools!

• Only if not too much grinding exists

• Leave the system the way it is!

• Total voters

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Here's the more "in-depth" thought process.

This will be integrated with the Profession system.

Tools want to be restricted for non-crafters (Where you have to level to craft) - the combat/diplomatic professions could obtain tools but they'll have to level with them to get them.

Crafting Professions will automatically start out with all tool sets usable and all mine/ore obtainable.

Combat professions will have higher armor/weapon use than the crafters

In either case - its a fun test. Have fun with it.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
RE: Vote!

LevelCraft - can make slaying levels with us - etc - its something I was thinking about throwing in the next update - thoughts?

Neo_Exdeath

Destroyer Of Worlds
Legacy Supporter 3

I am all for restricting swords/armor because they are primarily used in pvp but restricting pickaxes limits what you can mine which means new player wont even be able to get gold until they have mined enough to be able to use the right pickaxe putting them at a major disadvantage.

wolfgang784

Legacy Supporter 3

I like the idea if there isnt a ridiculous amount of grinding for some. Like axes or shovels or hoes should take long to get higher in, but pickaxes should be relatively quick for iron but still take a long time so that its worth it when you finally hit it. But then from iron to diamond should be really long to make it truly worth it when you can finally use diamond picks again and mine at full speed.

Armor an swords also need a decent length but not too long, although it would add some dynamics to pvp since some people will have diamond and others can only use stone so bodyguards will very much needed for people traveling between towns. More groups will travel together, and pvpers will travel in larger groups as well. It will make the wild more dangerous as a whole I think. Unless people are too scared to leave town....

Overall it seems like a good idea, although we really won't know until its been implemented for a couple of days.

Neo_Exdeath

Destroyer Of Worlds
Legacy Supporter 3

I guess honestly the idea of tool restriction's as a whole is better now that tools last longer on 1.2.

It would definitely have a strong impact on the economy. If less people can use diamonds then the demand goes down lowering the value.

It's a mixed bag from my stand point. I'd make it a priority to get my skills/levels up to the required amounts immediately and then diamonds would be cheaper to buy, but it would also devalue my own mining efforts.

However with the upcoming shop system I think the economy go through some fluctuation so maybe it won't make much difference in the long run.

wolfgang784

Legacy Supporter 3
After playing on the test server for the last like 10 minutes, I am convinced even more that levels are an awesome idea. It doesn't take that long to get them up to basic standards, although I havn't seen how long it takes for iron usage yet. So far is seems good.

vrillusions

Legacy Supporter 3
Hard to really say until it's on the main server. As long as it isn't too grindy I guess it's ok. Although I'm against limiting stone tools. You should be able to get those at level 1. Mainly because a lot of people will have a wooden sword, open their chest and see all this stuff print out and be all confused. And people with wooden shovels would keep setting points. Also iron axes should be obtainable pretty quickly as they're needed for gold. Getting higher grade tools for woodcutting and slayer just helps you fight/cut wood/dig faster so aren't as important (although I'd still say start out with stone tools.

AlexDaParrot

Legacy Supporter 5
To an extent, players shouldn't walk in using Diamond tools, but it should be easy to get diamond tools if they do a bit of work (2-3 days of average mining or something), but after that other bonuses should be used. I like the way the double cobble/double materials % works, more things like that would add more incentive to mining a lot instead of grinding to use a diamond tool, which would just crash the market of diamonds for people who enjoy mining and get a lot of diamonds.

Edit: Levelcraft should also be the same way, maybe a chance for critical damage of an extra 10% or half a heart or something (It would add up at high enough hit %'s). Or even a chance for mobs to drop more things if you are fighting them. I think there are a ton of ways in which to expand both PvP and Resource gathering outside of the hard barrier of limiting tools. This would instead encourage people to get levels for more efficiency with whatever tool and would be more noticeable overtime, instead of just jumping tools and going up each notch on the ladder.

AlexDaParrot said:
To an extent, players shouldn't walk in using Diamond tools, but it should be easy to get diamond tools if they do a bit of work (2-3 days of average mining or something), but after that other bonuses should be used. I like the way the double cobble/double materials % works, more things like that would add more incentive to mining a lot instead of grinding to use a diamond tool, which would just crash the market of diamonds for people who enjoy mining and get a lot of diamonds.

You will also start to delve into "I'm better then you because my level is higher" problems, one thing I typically dislike about most level based systems.

If the level system requires any real effort to use diamond gear all you're going to do is de-value the hell out of diamonds. This could potentially create a large gap between new players and existing players in terms of power.

Not only would people like me out damage newer or less active players with better gear but we'll also have TONS of it because it'll be cheap to buy.

Kaliven

Gold
I'm for it, as long as there isn't a ton of grinding to get to iron tools,

iron to diamond could be higher, I'm ok with that, (making obsidian more valuable lol)

I'm DEFINITELY against Weapons and armor being restricted based on level, you're only rewarding the PK's for killing more people, because we will grind to iron ASAP and peaceful people will NOT be able to defend themselves, and we'll be bored.

+ Weapons and Armor should be based on class

+ tools based on crafting level.

AlexDaParrot

Legacy Supporter 5
Combat would be in one basket, so killing skeletons would give the same gear leveling as killing players.

Also, in a resource gathering sense, levels with bonuses and having people who are better in it than other players is good. Don't you think someone who mines 50,000 blocks should get more out of it than someone who mines 50? PvP the advantages need to be balanced more, but players should still be rewarded with things in the later levels that are not gear and are more passive effects or even small active effects.

Also, the main problem with limiting weapons and armor to a single class is that people get bored with one class, or even five. Having the same tool kit and continually trying to kill someone who is just better matched up against you, or slaughtering someone who is not, does not sound like a fun PvP experience. Also, the cost of armor and weapons are not assumed. If they have any other value than using both diamond armor and weapons in the same class, someone wearing diamond armor takes on FAR greater risks than someone wearing a diamond sword and iron armor, which causes chaos because then everyone goes to the class with diamond sword and iron armor because it is cheaper and more offensive based. Passive effects and small active effects can balance it, but the cost of a diamond sword versus a full set of diamond armor is not even comparable for the amount of advantage a person who can only use a iron sword and diamond armor has on a person using a diamond sword and iron armor.

Kaliven

Gold
AlexDaParrot said:
Combat would be in one basket, so killing skeletons would give the same gear leveling as killing players.

-----------

Also, the main problem with limiting weapons and armor to a single class is that people get bored with one class, or even five. Having the same tool kit and continually trying to kill someone who is just better matched up against you, or slaughtering someone who is not, does not sound like a fun PvP experience. Also, the cost of armor and weapons are not assumed. If they have any other value than using both diamond armor and weapons in the same class, someone wearing diamond armor takes on FAR greater risks than someone wearing a diamond sword and iron armor, which causes chaos because then everyone goes to the class with diamond sword and iron armor because it is cheaper and more offensive based. Passive effects and small active effects can balance it, but the cost of a diamond sword versus a full set of diamond armor is not even comparable for the amount of advantage a person who can only use a iron sword and diamond armor has on a person using a diamond sword and iron armor.

AS long as mobs + players was counted, I'm fine with that might even be fun, to design leveling dungeons for players to run though.

The second part, well thought out, but its been said after a cool-down you can change your class, but I agree, diamond armor is no reward for ANY class. I wouldn't put my army in diamond armor, even though I can afford it, you are dead SO long before diamond armor becomes useless that you give your killer free diamond armor, we have a collection of diamond Armors from Mayors who've charged out all caviler to stop the plague upon their roads.

Only player I know who wears diamond armor is BG

Mikespillow

Legacy Supporter 7
psychojake said:
I am not a fan of grinding. It really takes the life out of video games. I believe the tool restrictions should be REMOVED. Leveling up should provide small bonuses. If a new player joins and is weak with weapons and armor, veterans and PKers can easily gang up on them. I believe restrictions are a bad idea. Anyone else with me?

I agree, as a new player, tool restrictions especially would drive me away. Something that gives players an unfair advantage against one another, just for more time in-game, is unbalanced, and multiplayer games that give these types of advantages (MAG, Killzone 2, Bioshock 2) push away support and in this case, make the game boring for veterans to pvp and unfair for new players.

AlexDaParrot

Legacy Supporter 5
I like the idea of crafting classes and combat classes, that works quite nicely. Are crafting classes able to level up to use diamond the same as combat classes can level up to use diamond in their respective professions? Also, if a class is switched, does that mean you lose all the levels you have obtained thus far? I would like to try them all out, and master them all if at all possible.

Also, I think new players should have 1 - 2 days where they can freely switch classes as to try them out first (That includes us maybe when we first get the classes, it would help with balance as well).

Well, whatever happens, I want my mining levels back, hah.

Woutman

Air
Hmm, I voted "No, I hate restricting tools!" thinking it was the same for all professions, but after the OP edit, I'm actually liking the idea.

It gives the mining/building professions something to differentiate themselves from the other professions.

wolfgang784

Legacy Supporter 3
IkaosI said:
I mined several hundred blocks before i could even use a stone pick, and fought at least 17 mobs, but still couldn't get past level 3 slayer.

Something went wrong. I mined less than a stack of stone with a wooden pick and that got me to level 5, which is mining coal and using a stone pick. Were you mining by hand? The xp doesn't count if you don't use a tool.

I killed 6 spiders for level 3 with a sword, and a couple more for lvl 5. Again, idk what you did wrong. Even if you use hands, it lvls by hits not by kills, so using hands lvls faster. Did you make them fall a lot? Lava?