• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Level Grinding Woes...

I made this thread for multiple reasons. I need a place to rant, for one. Two, I need suggestions to keep motivated. Three, to explain the things I have tried to keep out of boredom. Last, to explain my logic to those I have argued with in the past about this.

I joined HeroCraft at first near the beginning of Zeal. I soon found HC set apart from previous servers I joined, both in size and new ideas. This was not some run-of-the-mill mcmmo/faction combination server I had not interest in, this was unique with classes for any type of player. You could be a Caster and hose down several foes with damage, take the blade of a Samurai and get in the face of your enemy, get rich as a Merchant (Professions used to not exist and instead were primaries of their own, weak in combat and often fodder for PKers). I found my niche as an assassin in gaming long ago, so I immediately became a Rogue. It was the worst mistake I could have made.

I set out as a solo player and Immediately started level Rogue by mining in my secret hideout. After unlocking Sneak I began to lose focus and found a sport in looting towns blind, avoiding conflict due to a standard rogue's general uselessness in combat (town regions were down during the beginning of zeal, leaving non-LWC chests wide open). I soon grew bored of simply stealing, and joined Shiroku and raided place after place. After gaining too much hostile attention and because general dissatisfaction of the town. I left and joined a under-construction town called Arcadia. In between construction periods, I resumed ore hunting. I found many areas fully devoid of valuable ore and began to set out hunting mobs. I soon found the Rogue surprisingly terrible at killing mobs and soon came across a "zombie grinder" someone in town made. I questioned it's legality at first, but the player soon convinced me it was "legal" (maybe due to my impatience). In as little as 2 days out of the whole time I had played, I jumped from roughly level 25 to 50 (cap for main classes as well as specs was 50). I soon became a ninja after going through the hoops the get the spec fee. Yet another terrible class choice.

I soon left HC for a few months for reasons I don't fully remember. When I came back, Arcadia was abandoned and unfinished. I found the mob spawner bedrocked in with a sign posted "ILLEGAL MOB GRINDER". I found out that I had broken the rules for the first time (I will confess I did so) and luckily went unaccounted for. I found also that town regions had finally become established. I joined another town that the remenants of Arcadia and the rest of the alliance SSS went to. Apparently in my absence, two players who were only a minor thorn in our side had went on to found one of the two largest kingdoms, with a Capital called North Reach at the helm. I had a personal feud with the two and set out to cause chaos to their kingdom. Unfortunately, Ninja happened to suck at all but the highest levels, causing me to face death after death at the hands of my enemies. We found a new enemy in the now infamous "Tree Creepers", who also proceeded to make life miserable. The Ninja was hard to keep supplied with swords due to the sorry state the caves were in. I found the ideal class for me a difficult-to-level cycle of death and soon quit HC until the map wipe. Even more infuriating was the discovery that all the level progress I made towards becoming the ideal assassin was to be wiped along with the map.

Opon returning, Dragongarde was the new map, I became a Rogue and joined Newerth. I found the mobs harder to kill than last time and could not mine for xp due to the new professions. I reset my class, becoming a caster. With the help of a new public dungeon at spawn and the Fireball skill, I became a Geomancer in a few days of boring grinding. However, I found the Geomancer boring and ended up going absent again at level 30.

I have come back now during Bastion and went Rogue again with much better mob killing skill. However, mobs are even stronger with creepers now one hitting me with the edge of their blast radius. This and the fact grinding is as boring as ever along with the new fetch quests as the only alternative is making me consider leaving again on only my second day back.

I historically don't have good feelings to RPG games that put typical fun behind a giant obstacle called leveling. I try to find a way to keep motivated and have actual fun on Herocraft but it seems I lose any will to keep leveling. Thus, my ADHD and low self-confidence kicks in, becoming a barrier between what I see as "grinding" and actually having fun (darting in and out of the shadows). I am just a level 4 Rogue and already tired. I know whatever I accomplish will cease to be in a map wipe around 8 months in the future.

I made this again for many reasons: To voice my frustration, let people know that there are those out there that hate stabbing 10000 monsters in the face to be of any use (seems to be ignored by many games called true RPGs), and to be get more suggestions about keeping occupied than the generally smart ass responses in /h chat seem to provide.

Please, most other Minecraft servers are completely out of the question in terms of both community and fresh gameplay mechanics. I also want to finally be rid of this irritation leveling what I usually consider the golden class type of RPG games.

Simply put, I have grown tired of level grinding over the course of 3 different maps and find the Rogue unnecessarily difficult to level and useless in pvp until you nearly cap the spec class. I have never managed to cap a spec in HC before going inactive due to boredom.

I need a method of leveling that is not going to make me jump off a bridge.

maxmaxm

Wood
Some things that have helped me with the boredom of leveling are moving around while killing mobs; it makes it much more interesting if you make it about exploring rather than leveling. Also, don't think of leveling as something that you HAVE to do... When you feel like doing it, do it. When you don't, don't. Also, you should stay somewhat involved with the community to make sure you are aware of any events. Dome of Death, an event where an admin spawns thousands of mobs for players to kill, has really helped me level.

I am about to leave graduate and leave my non port-forward forward friendly dorm. I guess I'll configure my own Bukkit server again and play with IRL friends of mine (beyond that perhaps). Chances are that I will be very inactive on HC unless something major is done about leveling certain classes and how leveling is dealt with in general.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Try something else? Try warrior / caster?
Herocraft adds to the minecraft experience. You should play normally and level as you go. It doesn't have to be a ":OMG I NEED TO BE MAX LEVEL IN 3 days OR ELSE" quest.

We're running butchers of all mobs to ensure they are spread out enough.

It's a hardcore server, naturally mobs are going to hit harder.

Sidgil

Legacy Supporter 3
I have been running around and just hunting down mobs as a rogue. on a shitty computer, and I have found myself weaving through mobs to distant creepers, position mobs infront of skeletons to work as sheilds. Mix it up a bit. Yeah the overwhelming numbers get me sometimes, but it keeps things interesting, then while I'm going along and I find someone, I tend to talk to them, see whats up and if they need any help.

SemajArchMage

Legacy Supporter 3
let people know that there are those out there that hate stabbing 10000 monsters in the face
Oh no sense exaggerating... you only need to kill 4747 skeletons, or 7224 zombies, to master Ninja to lvl 60. As the server's been up a mere 20 days, that's only an average of 238 skeletons, or 361 zombies, per day. Surely anyone can accomplish this easily without an illegal mob spawner and all of the max level players are entirely legit. Just ask our resident paladins who claim this can be done casually while mining.

ChunkyM0nk3y

Legacy Supporter 4
Oh no sense exaggerating... you only need to kill 4747 skeletons, or 7224 zombies, to master Ninja to lvl 60. As the server's been up a mere 20 days, that's only an average of 238 skeletons, or 361 zombies, per day. Surely anyone can accomplish this easily without an illegal mob spawner and all of the max level players are entirely legit. Just ask our resident paladins who claim this can be done casually while mining.