• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Landmarks

StorminNorman

Legacy Supporter 7
Somewhere in between the PVP, the strip mining, the town building, and the trolling in off topic chat, people have found the time to build impressive structures throughout the worlds of Hero Craft. In my past travels, I have found massive obelisks, elaborate shrines, and even DRAGONS constructed by unknown builders that simply left their work as part of the landscape. In most events, the structures suffer griefing, or remain unfinished; becoming eyesores.

My suggestion is for the implementation of a Landmark system. Similar to Hero Gates and Grave Yards, certain well built structures should be eligible for protection. These landmarks could be used as PVP hotspots, quest locations, and even just to add to the overall RPG feel to Hero Craft.

-Obviously, you can't build a landmark and use it as a residence, or personal storage. If protections are granted, it would only be on the finished project, and only admins/mods could edit it from that point.

-Requesting protection would be done via petition in game or in the screenshot section of the forums (whichever would be easiest on our moderation team).

-As for ultimately deciding on whether or not something is worthy of being a landmark, that could be the responsibility of Architects/Mods/Admins or a joint effort. I know they are all busy with their current duties, and this may be an annoyance. Or it could be a nice break, I don't know.

-Landmarks should follow the same building rules as everything else: no less than 100 blocks from town's, Hero Gates, and Grave Yards.

-They should feel like they belong in the Hero Craft world, and maybe even have some lore behind them.

-Certain major roads and tunnels (Should/Could/Might/Won't) be eligible for landmark status, based on their construction, importance, and how much a moderator really feels like it.

-PVP On

-If denied landmark status, the structures may remain unless they are a horrible abomination that completely ruins a landscape. It would then be the sole responsibility of the builder(s) to remove it.

-While I feel there should be size constraints, truly impressive structures are gonna be big. Entirely up to moderation.

-While the current worlds are large, there should be a limit on the total number of landmarks to prevent the overworld from being a cluttered mess. I have no suggestion for this limit.

-Possibly implement runestones to certain landmarks. These are acquired through quest rewards/ NPC's/ Mob Drops.

(I couldn't decide on a font color I liked.)

And that is my well thought out idea.

Dsawemd

Legacy Supporter 8
Three objections to address:
1. No to the rule about 100 blocks no-build zone. People would use that malevolently. Why we can't have nice things. Luckily our anti-grief bans are severe, and people rarely get away with or risk griefing.

2. We want people to build nice things, live/fight in and around them, and use them. Most minecrafters do that already, why do we need landmarks?

3. Kainzo won't even get staff directly involved in building roads past spawn borders, he says he wants the players to create the world they want to live in.

Otherwise solid idea. Convince Kainzo to recruit/organize his architects during maps, as we can all see the great results when they build spawns prior to a maps release.

StorminNorman

Legacy Supporter 7
Three objections to address:
1. No to the rule about 100 blocks no-build zone. People would use that malevolently. Why we can't have nice things. Luckily our anti-grief bans are severe, and people rarely get away with or risk griefing.

It's possible I phrased this wrong. I mean that the landmarks can't violate the rule, not that the rule applies to the landmark itself.

2: We don't "need" landmarks. I never said these "need" to be built. I only said that certain structures that are built and attract attention should be eligible for protection. If quests get implemented, landmarks could be used constructively.

3: Once again, you're making it sound like I'm forcing landmarks to be built.

Dsawemd

Legacy Supporter 8
1. Thanks for clarification
2. Rephrased: Justify addition of Regions to builds, we already have stringent anti-griefing rules and this would make more work for staff.
3. You have to justify the extra work I mentioned in #2 to make implementing this institution of Landmarks appeal to the server.

leftovers5

Legacy Supporter 8
I remember seeing cool landmarks in past maps as you have mentioned that weren't part of a town of any particular entity. One comes to mind was @Darroes ' giant skull on the side of the mountain in DG, in the middle of nowhere.

This is a nice idea.