• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Karma System Potential Exploits

Eldrylars

Legacy Supporter 8
Since there is a thriving discussion on what should be gained or lost due to the karma system a second discussion should be started to inform and protect against exploiting the karma system.

I know that the Karma system is in a concept phase and thus a major unknown, but I am sure many of you like myself have played enough games with karma systems that we can give a lot of insight to help build a good system from the start instead of having to fill holes as the system is being used. Please post any problem you see and your thoughts on potential fixes for them

The idea of this thread is to pre-spot ways to exploit the potential system not features for the system. Try to keep features in the original thread unless they specifically regard to problems that could occur ex. Towns warring each other will both go evil quickly from defending/raiding.

Some Focus Points
Gaining/Losing Karma
Karma Griefing

General:
Terrible Robots
Exploit - The use of bots to reset karma has been widely used in several games. Having a bot that is 10k and a bot that is -10k to raise of lower the karma as desired.
Potential Fix - Setup a kill timer for karma gains and losses for whatever side of the scale you are on. As an evil player you only gain karma once every X hours from the same player. Same for good players gaining from killing evil players once every X hours

Friendly Blood
Exploit - More of an issue with duals and training. Fighting friends for sport will cause you to lose karma
Potential Fix - No karma gained/lost from kills within your own town. A /karma confirm command that allows you to confirm that you want the killer to take a karma hit.

Damn Defense
Expoit - Players defending their towns from raids will quickly go red from having to kill blue invaders.
Potential Fix - Setup township regions as Karma off for members of the defending town.

Bloody Wars
Exploit - Townships constantly war with each other and a harsh karma system will detour a lot of players from participating in wars/pvp with other cities.
Potential Fix - Create a basic alliance/war system that would allow a township to perhaps pay a fee to "War" another township which would last x hours and would disable karma gains and losses when fighting members of the opposing towns as well as disabling karma gains and losses when fighting within the opposing towns regions.

Healers Ahoy!
Exploit - If a blue player is giving any positive effects to a player with flags they will remain unflagged and take no penalty for helping the murderer.
Potential Fix - When a positive effect is cast from one player to another the casting player receives all the aggressor flags from the target. Thus if the 0+ player dies the player healing/buffing the killer also takes a karma hit

Griefing:
To tag or not to tag. (Aggressor Tag: Marking the person who started the attack and who will be effected by the karma loss)
Exploit - If aggressor tags are not implemented then players will grief new players and vets alike by attacking them until the new player of vet fights back . The griefer will then get the target to kill them to make them lose their karma. If the target does not fight back the griefer could potentially keep them at 1hp indefinitely.
Potential Fix - Aggressor Tags, if a 0+ aligned player attacks another 0+ player they will be flagged as an aggressor and be able to be attacked without penalty for 5 seconds. If a second attack is made within 5 minutes of the first attack then the aggressor flags duration will increase to X(5,10) minutes of being able to attacked without penalty. Each hit while flagged will reset the timer.

PVE blocking
Exploit -The 0+ aligned griefer will walk in front of the 0+ aligned player killing mobs making them kill the griefer and take karma loss or killing the PVE'ing player if tagged as an aggressor.
Potential - A short timed first strike aggressor tag would help to an extent as a way to stop the griefer from killing the PVE'ing player but unfortunately outside of PE'ing this I still do not have a suggestion to prevent this type of griefing.

PVE boosting
Exploit -Hitting a PVE'ing player almost down to death while fighting mobs and letting the mob/terrain finish off the player to avoid karma loss.
Potential - If an aggressor tag was implemented then even if the griefer does not get the killing blow they will still take the penalty from the players death.

Town thieves
Exploit - 0+ player gets into your town or personal regions and starts to steal from chests.
Potential - Players within their own town or residence regions can kill without karma loss.

Sidgil

Legacy Supporter 3
I am skimming through this (a little groggy so its a bit awkward to read right now) and one thing that has goten my attention is Blue players Raiding towns.

Damn Defense
As a Good Karma player, the only towns that you should EVER be raiding have to be evil, and if a neutral player is living in an Evil town that has gotten its rep up so high as to warrent such a raid, then that player should be held responsible for those choices. Essentially this means that even as a neutral player, you are not free from the system, you don't get to just go about your merry way and have your descions not define you as a player. If you don't want to go Evil, then the clear choice is to, as a neutral player, move to a neutral town, where you will be more likely to avoid being raided since this system will promote raiding opposite aligned towns.

Eldrylars

Legacy Supporter 8
I will retype it out later as I was on limited time to make sure to minimize the future confusion.

Damn Defense - was meant for BLUE players defending their home town. Taking Karma hits trying to kill raiders in their home town.

Sidgil

Legacy Supporter 3
I will retype it out later as I was on limited time to make sure to minimize the future confusion.

Damn Defense - was meant for BLUE players defending their home town. Taking Karma hits trying to kill raiders in their home town.

Ah, yes, that does make more sense now. That applies to something I mentioned earlier on determining attackers from defenders.

FalseLuck

Legacy Supporter 7
@Eldrylars I didnt feel like quoting but below are the fixes that I would suggest :p

General:
Terrible Robots
Exploit - The use of bots to reset karma has been widely used in several games. Having a bot that is 10k and a bot that is -10k to raise of lower the karma as desired.
Potential Fix - exponential gradient on karma gained from targets... all pure grey targets only net you 1 karma point towards red.... would prevent easily gaining negative karma... Getting blue should be significantly harder to exploit as the only method is killing red players... Making it harder to exploit red makes it harder to exploit blue :) Though I do agree, after some player has died like 10 times within 5 minutes there should definitely be less karma gained.

Friendly Blood
Exploit - More of an issue with duals and training. Fighting friends for sport will cause you to lose karma
Potential Fix - No karma gained/lost from kills within your own party* If you're a blue player in a blue town and you don't take the time to set up a party before "training" then consider it a punishment for your lack of foresight... A great lesson to be learned before a battle.

Damn Defense
Expoit - Players defending their towns from raids will quickly go red from having to kill blue invaders.
Potential Fix - Shouldn't happen too badly as both sides quickly turning red should be a deterrent to both sides...I'd be more worried about the neutral towns in this case that would throw blue players at you as a shield to the red players...

Bloody Wars
Exploit - Townships constantly war with each other and a harsh karma system will detour a lot of players from participating in wars/pvp with other cities.
Potential Fix - Create a basic alliance/war system that would allow a township to perhaps pay a fee to "War" another township which would last x hours and would disable karma gains and losses when fighting members of the opposing towns as well as disabling karma gains and losses when fighting within the opposing towns regions.
^This would also fix the previous one... Declaring war on a town for say 5,000c/day negates all karma gains and losses. If town A declares war against town B, then without any input from town B their statuses will be changed to "Warring" and town A and town B can attack each other and any players within 200 blocks of their own town.

Healers Ahoy!
Exploit - If a blue player is giving any positive effects to a player with flags they will remain unflagged and take no penalty for helping the murderer.
Potential Fix - When a positive effect is cast from one player to another the casting player receives all the aggressor flags from the target. Thus if the 0+ player dies the player healing/buffing the killer also takes a karma hit. This would be a good idea if it were possible to code it this way, but to be honest the issue that I think could fix this is with a couple *color* npc guards that get stationed in each town... would cause enough of a hinderance that most players wouldn't want to avoid being the same alignment as their own allies as their own NPCs would attack them lol

Griefing:
To tag or not to tag. (Aggressor Tag: Marking the person who started the attack and who will be effected by the karma loss)
Exploit - If aggressor tags are not implemented then players will grief new players and vets alike by attacking them until the new player of vet fights back . The griefer will then get the target to kill them to make them lose their karma. If the target does not fight back the griefer could potentially keep them at 1hp indefinitely.
Potential Fix - Aggressor Tags, if a 0+ aligned player attacks another 0+ player they will be flagged as an aggressor and be able to be attacked without penalty for 5 seconds. If a second attack is made within 5 minutes of the first attack then the aggressor flags duration will increase to X(5,10) minutes of being able to attacked without penalty. Each hit while flagged will reset the timer. This could also be implemented to fix the town issue again, if it could be made so that the "agressor tag" would flag the attacker and defender, if the alignments match, make it so the defender will gain karma in their own direction...

PVE blocking
Exploit -The 0+ aligned griefer will walk in front of the 0+ aligned player killing mobs making them kill the griefer and take karma loss or killing the PVE'ing player if tagged as an aggressor.
Potential - A short timed first strike aggressor tag would help to an extent as a way to stop the griefer from killing the PVE'ing player but unfortunately outside of PE'ing this I still do not have a suggestion to prevent this type of griefing.

PVE boosting
Exploit -Hitting a PVE'ing player almost down to death while fighting mobs and letting the mob/terrain finish off the player to avoid karma loss.
Potential - If an aggressor tag was implemented then even if the griefer does not get the killing blow they will still take the penalty from the players death.

Town thieves
Exploit - 0+ player gets into your town or personal regions and starts to steal from chests.
Potential - Players within their own town or residence regions can kill without karma loss.<-Perfect, would also fix your "o+ aligned players raiding o+ towns" in addition to the "going to war..."

Although i am a fan of the karma system (it will bring a cool depth to the game)
i definitely see the possible problems that you guys are bringing up..
i think one of the biggest problems would be players resetting their karma to neutral, and then going after blue's. in this case the good aligned character would loose karma for defending themselves...
now, the workaround to this would be to make red/blue players not take karma changes from neutral aggressors.
-would possibly solve the neutral raiding blue scenario?