• Guest, we are doing a new map (refresh) for Herocraft. Gather your friends and get ready! Coming next Friday, 06/28/24 @ 7PM CT play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Karma Modifiers (non-combat)

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
I want to know what you guys think would be a balanced karma system. Note the balance will dip slightly in favor of "good" for our server - this isnt really up for debate.

Karma Modifiers: (note these are NON-combat modifiers)
  • Positive
    • More XP gain on PVP kill
    • Chance to leech coin on kill
    • ????????
  • Negative
    • More XP loss on death
    • Level loss on death
    • ????????
What are some modifiers you'd like to see?
(note im just looking for the modifiers at the moment, we've worked out most everything else)

Below is a copy/paste of about how it will play out on how you gain/lose karma - some things below won't be in, obviously.
===============
+++Good Actions+++
===============
All good actions should follow the theme of self-defense and standing up for the weak.
1. Acts of Self Defense
** Defeating your opponent once they have struck you first. "Pure self defense"
* Defeating your opponent after you were killed during an act of self defense. "Defending your honor" This is more to cover the situation where you are being attacked in your town and you need to repel invaders.
2. Aiding Comrades
** Defeating, or aiding in the defeat of, someone who has attacked a fellow citizen/guild/party/ally member without provocation whether or not your ally is still alive after being attacked.
3. Aiding the Weak
*** Defeating, or aiding in the defeat of, someone who is attacking/has attacked an unprovoked low level unaffiliated (no town/guild membership) player.

=============
----Evil Actions----
=============
Evil actions should revolve around aggressive and vindictive behavior.
1. Aggressiveness
* Attacking players without provocation.
** Defeating unprovoked players.
** Defeating weak unaffiliated players without provocation.
*** Spawn camping of any sort. Associated with high frequency slayings: kill the same person within X amount of seconds.
2. Mob Mentality
* Acting in a group to attack unprovoked players.
*** Acting in a group to spawn camp players.

Grandsoulking

Legacy Supporter 6
What happens when your party becomes evil and good like 1 good person and 3 evil's,what if they attack other players would this be considered a evil action if all u did was be in a party with them?

Archmage_Lloyd

Soulsand
Skills affecting Karma
For instance, you use Harm touch = -5 Karma
you use Layhands on someone else = + 5 karma

Killing for karma.
when you kill something, you lose karma, around -30.
when on a killing spree, you lose more depending on your spree,
IE 11 kills = KarmaLoss * 1.1
IE 80 kills = KarmaLoss * 8.0

Getting good karma
Get good karma by killing players more evil than you. you gain the amount of karma they would have gotten for another kill
IE they have 80 ks, they get -30*8 so that means -81 ish for the next kill. you kill them, and you get +81 karma.

Bounty.
if a Good claims a bounty on evil, Karma points obtained is doubled.
vice versa

resetting Karma
Karma resets should be available for a price determined by karma
if Karma < -100 || Karma > 100 then you can reset,
Reset cost is Karma * 20
so 100 * 20 is 2000

Buffs & titles,

Evil people who have evil of over -200 Karma will get a 5% damage buff.
good people with over 200 Karma will get a 5% hp buff.

Most evil person gets [DEMON] title
and most good gets [ANGEL] title

archceaser

Legacy Supporter 7
Man i hope this karma system does what its supposed to, people are tired of not being able to walk 100 blocks from their towns without the pvpers mindlessly killing people.

Bob_de_Blastoise

Legacy Supporter 5
I have a question what if you killed like a noob camper would your karma go down? If you kill evil people does your karma go down or up?

M
I have a question what if you killed like a noob camper would your karma go down? If you kill evil people does your karma go down or up?
nvm shoulda read the whole post before askin questions

M
nvm shoulda read the whole post before asking questions

I want to know what you guys think would be a balanced karma system. Note the balance will dip slightly in favor of "good" for our server - this isnt really up for debate.

Karma Modifiers: (note these are NON-combat modifiers)
  • Positive
    • ????????
  • Negative
    • More XP loss on death
    • Level loss on death
    • ????????
What are some modifiers you'd like to see?
(note im just looking for the modifiers at the moment, we've worked out most everything else)

Below is a copy/paste of about how it will play out on how you gain/lose karma - some things below won't be in, obviously.
===============
+++Good Actions+++
===============
All good actions should follow the theme of self-defense and standing up for the weak.
1. Acts of Self Defense
** Defeating your opponent once they have struck you first. "Pure self defense"
* Defeating your opponent after you were killed during an act of self defense. "Defending your honor" This is more to cover the situation where you are being attacked in your town and you need to repel invaders.
2. Aiding Comrades
** Defeating, or aiding in the defeat of, someone who has attacked a fellow citizen/guild/party/ally member without provocation whether or not your ally is still alive after being attacked.
3. Aiding the Weak
*** Defeating, or aiding in the defeat of, someone who is attacking/has attacked an unprovoked low level unaffiliated (no town/guild membership) player.

=============
----Evil Actions----
=============
Evil actions should revolve around aggressive and vindictive behavior.
1. Aggressiveness
* Attacking players without provocation.
** Defeating unprovoked players.
** Defeating weak unaffiliated players without provocation.
*** Spawn camping of any sort. Associated with high frequency slayings: kill the same person within X amount of seconds.
2. Mob Mentality
* Acting in a group to attack unprovoked players.
*** Acting in a group to spawn camp players.

Maybe good players death chest can last 360 seconds, whilst evil players only last 180 sec

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Man i hope this karma system does what its supposed to, people are tired of not being able to walk 100 blocks from their towns without the pvpers mindlessly killing people.
The karma system will reinforce those who want to PVP and deter those from mindless/godless actions. We're hoping that we can put enough weight on being good that people will THINK before they attack someone.
It may not be a 180 for safety in the wilds but it should provide a decent experience either way :)

Bob_de_Blastoise

Legacy Supporter 5
The karma system will reinforce those who want to PVP and deter those from mindless/godless actions. We're hoping that we can put enough weight on being good that people will THINK before they attack someone.
It may not be a 180 for safety in the wilds but it should provide a decent experience either way :)
Okay Srry for the double post my phones glitching

Eldrylars

Legacy Supporter 8
  • Positive
    • Respawn after death with +25% mana or a short duration wisdom buff.
    • Karma specific kill spam. The "Good" Eldrylars and put an end the the "Evil" Alexhoffs's reign of terror.
    • global spam announcing when player reach different tiers in their respective karma ranks.
    • Find a way to make damage undead enchantment work on "evil" players
  • Negative
    • More XP loss on death
    • Level loss on death
    • Announcement when an evil player comes within 2 chunks of a good player "You feel an evil presence approach"
    • Add "evil" graveyards to the game that evil players will spawn at instead of normal graveyards. Make these much fewer and farther in between.
    • Resurrects with a 30 second mana freeze.
    • global spam announcing when player reach different tiers in their respective karma ranks.

Xargun

Legacy Supporter 9
Some ideas

1. You shouldn't lose Karma for killing mobs - you should gain +karma for such acts
2. I understand the server wants most people to be neutral to good, but some people just want to be evil and they shouldn't be too harshly punished for this. If you want good to have better perks that's the admin's choice, but don't completely screw the evil guy either -- you can't have good without evil.
3. Give the more coin bonus to evil - we all know evil is motivated by greed.
4. Give the good side the ability to trade karma in for resources - like 100 karma will get you a diamond weapon of your choice. 200 will get you a piece of diamond armor. etc...
5. Give each side a one time bonus when they hit certain karma levels - the gods (both good and evil) reward those who follow them. Perhaps evil gets a flaming weapon of poisoning. Where good gets a highly protective chest piece of armor.
6. Give people choices and let everyone play their version of the game. Newbs will still be camped, players will still be assholes. That is part of the fun / variety of these games and no system you design will ever completely stop that.
7. Have DoD events based on karma - good guys go defend some villagers from a zombie onslaught. Evil gets to attack a village defends by golems. Make the rewards the same.
8. Have quests for each side - evil gets to go raid a dungeon for an evil artifact. Good goes to a different dungeon for a good artifact.
9. Make towns have tax penalties if they are listed as good but have evil members in them (and vice versa).

The choices are endless and should always be changing / improving as we move forward. They all require work but will easily set HC above other servers - whether you want to play Good or Evil.

Jack_Reacher

Legacy Supporter 7
So there aren't supposed to be any positive effects for "Evil" players? Is this actually balanced? Do you want to discourage the whole Evil vs. Good PvP thing (or PvP in general?!)? Isn't this system just supposed to discourage you from killing new players?

It seems like if an Evil player were to kill a Good player - even if the "Good" player were very experienced, the Evil player would loose karma, and thus incur more negative effects.

what777

Max Legacy Supporter
  • Positive
    • Respawn after death with +25% mana or a short duration wisdom buff.
    • Karma specific kill spam. The "Good" Eldrylars and put an end the the "Evil" Alexhoffs's reign of terror.
    • Find a way to make damage undead enchantment work on "evil" players
  • Negative
    • More XP loss on death
    • Level loss on death
    • Announcement when an evil player comes within 2 chunks of a good player "You feel an evil presence approach"
    • Add "evil" graveyards to the game that evil players will spawn at instead of normal graveyards. Make these much fewer and farther in between.
    • Resurrects with a 30 second mana freeze.

Karma Modifiers (non-combat)

A few of these heavily impact PVP, like the: Announcement when an evil player comes within 2 chunks of a good player "You feel an evil presence approach"

This makes sneaking up to someone nearly impossible, and this : Find a way to make damage undead enchantment work on "evil" players. Is straight up effecting PVP, and the title of the post is "Karma Modifiers (non-combat)"

Eldrylars

Legacy Supporter 8
Yes, I know but as I was brainstorming I was not going to make a whole other post for ideas.

Honestly though, the ideas Kainzo left are only effected by PvP. So although I knew the undead bane was not asked for, the announcing the presence of evil does not effect combat while it still is "combat" oriented like all the perks Kainzo has mentioned.

what777

Max Legacy Supporter
Yes, I know but as I was brainstorming I was not going to make a whole other post for ideas.

Honestly though, the ideas Kainzo left are only effected by PvP. So although I knew the undead bane was not asked for, the announcing the presence of evil does not effect combat while it still is "combat" oriented like all the perks Kainzo has mentioned.

The presence makes it so sneaking up on someone is impossible, which directly affects PVP, the things Kainzo suggested effect thing AFTER pvp has happened, not when it is happening/about to happen. Also a common complaint atm is http://www.herocraftonline.com/main/threads/the-logging-issue-needs-attention.33044/ that logging before combat is too easy already, and with this change anyone that pays any attention to the chat can log out directly.

Eldrylars

Legacy Supporter 8
I understand and actually agree with you that this will make it all the harder for evil players to find and kill other players and that the logging out needs to be addressed but it is a "non combat" modifier ;)

what777

Max Legacy Supporter
I understand and actually agree with you that this will make it all the harder for evil players to find and kill other players and that the logging out needs to be addressed but it is a "non combat" modifier ;)

In what way is it not combat? The surprise effect in any kind of combat is highly valued, I don't see how this doesn't affect combat. A once unaware prey is now aware of your presence, allowing it to prepare itself. If you get the first attack onto someone you certainly have a big advantage for the rest of the fight.

MultiHeartGold

Legacy Supporter 2
what777 So you are trying to say, that every time an Evil person is nearby a Good person, the Evil person is looking for PVP and it will always end up in combat, and this means a Good person would instantly prepare for a massive killing spree when (s)he feels that there is an Evil person nearby?

Jack_Reacher

Legacy Supporter 7
In what way is it not combat? The surprise effect in any kind of combat is highly valued, I don't see how this doesn't affect combat. A once unaware prey is now aware of your presence, allowing it to prepare itself. If you get the first attack onto someone you certainly have a big advantage for the rest of the fight.
No, what777 is saying that the person will just log out after seeing the "You sense an evil presence" message, instead of preparing for a fight.

Eldrylars

Legacy Supporter 8
No, what777 is saying that the person will just log out after seeing the "You sense an evil presence" message, instead of preparing for a fight.

Or, in the case that neither player noticed eachother it will create more PvP if the good player starts to look for the evil player.

I don't know about you but I have not once logged from a fight. I have fled from a fight, but never logged.