• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Insurance Policy

Carbash

Legacy Supporter 6
What I am suggesting is a new skill for merchant. This skill would allow a merchant to enable an object (held in the merchants hand) to become undroppable upon death.

The cost, for the merchant, of making an item undroppable would be 25-100s? . They can then give the item away as an insured item. Full sets of gear could be insured this way allowing for people to get right back in the action after dying.*

This would do a few things, It would bring more people to the profession, as well as allow for rare items to no longer have to be soulbound (requiring insurance to keep it from being lost upon death)

* The second part of this suggestion is to make everything (held, armor, rares, etc...) drop on death indefinitely.

To make this not game breaking, have repairing an insured item void the contract and require a new policy.

Also chest shops should be available at lower levels, but with higher costs which reduce as you gain in levels for all professions (if possible).

Clawscript

Obsidian
The essence of the idea is good, but if it is applied in the way you described it, it would give too much of an advantage to Merchants, who already have chest shops for most items available.
If, however, it is made into something less general or less easy to access (say, by only allowing a certain type of items to be insured or to have an insured-item holding limit), then it would be a lot more reasonable.
I like the idea, but I'm sadly skeptic about it :(
What could be done is to make actual insurance companies, selling general insurance for an x amount of Souls, depending on each contract. That would really add the realistic touch to it... but also the risk of bankruptcy!

Beau_Nearh

Portal
Very cool idea for a skill however, I'm pretty sure kainzo doesn't want the hero professions effecting any PVP gameplay. Giving the player using this skill the ability to keep the most valuable item(s) could be game breaking in terms of general PVP and raiding. I for sure wouldn't want to kill a player in a raid to find that he's ran back from the graveyard mid raid with all his gear ready to ram me up my arse. Cool idea on paper, not so good in gameplay terms and mechanics.

Jonsoon

Legacy Supporter 8
What I am suggesting is a new skill for merchant. This skill would allow a merchant to enable an object (held in the merchants hand) to become undroppable upon death.

The cost, for the merchant, of making an item undroppable would be 25-100s? . They can then give the item away as an insured item. Full sets of gear could be insured this way allowing for people to get right back in the action after dying.*
Could also have multiple levels of the skill where the item has say 5 deaths before it will drop.

This would do a few things, It would bring more people to the profession, as well as allow for rare items to no longer have to be soulbound (requiring insurance to keep it from being lost upon death)
There don't need to be more merchants.

* The second part of this suggestion is to make everything (held, armor, rares, etc...) drop on death indefinitely.

To make this not game breaking, have repairing an insured item void the contract and require a new policy.

Also chest shops should be available at lower levels, but with higher costs which reduce as you gain in levels for all professions (if possible).
By objects, this should only be useable on tools/weapons and armor. A major downside is the need for yet more chestshops for merchants since this would have a new item ID.

Overall an interesting idea in theory, but I do not know how practical it would be.

Ahrall

Legacy Supporter 5
There was an old sandbox rpg game (who's name I cannot remember for the life of me) with a similar system.

You die, you drop all if your stuff on death. Or you could insure your gear (for a price) so that it wouldn't drop on death. You would then visit the insurance company at spawn (because everyone respawned at spawn) and pay them a fee to receive your insured gear.

Herocraft could use a similar system it would just have to be closely monitored and/or tested for potential exploits

Carbash

Legacy Supporter 6
I like Ahrall's idea. Having only a set amount of items insured (2-3) at a time that are "reclaimed" at graveyards for a cost. I can also see the conflict of it being merchant specific. So in order to remedy that, have it similar to lwcs in that anyone can pay the server to insure an item (max 2-3).

The only reason I even bring this up is in regards to the rpg server and it bringing rare loot that will be soulbound (something I think would do better if it was a pay to protect system). This is to incentivize pvp a bit more by having all items drop on death (unless the key items you want protected are done so).

Hell, even add a timer to the protection if need be 1 - 2 day death drop protection for 25-100s.

Giving it to merchant was, admittedly, just a way of introducing the system that seemed to fit thematically in my eyes.

pure_autism

Legacy Supporter 5
I like Ahrall's idea. Having only a set amount of items insured (2-3) at a time that are "reclaimed" at graveyards for a cost. I can also see the conflict of it being merchant specific. So in order to remedy that, have it similar to lwcs in that anyone can pay the server to insure an item (max 2-3).

The only reason I even bring this up is in regards to the rpg server and it bringing rare loot that will be soulbound (something I think would do better if it was a pay to protect system). This is to incentivize pvp a bit more by having all items drop on death (unless the key items you want protected are done so).

Hell, even add a timer to the protection if need be 1 - 2 day death drop protection for 25-100s.

Giving it to merchant was, admittedly, just a way of introducing the system that seemed to fit thematically in my eyes.
IMO if this were to happen, you should have to go to spawn to reclaim your items, because graveyard running is pretty dumb.

Irishman81

Senior Staff
Guide
Architect
Balance Team
Legacy Supporter 7
One of the problems with pvp is that items don't drop on death. So you suggest to keep that but with a super cheap price tag. This may work if the insurance price was more expensive like 500s
Items do drop on death now, check the patch notes

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8
One of the problems with pvp is that items don't drop on death. So you suggest to keep that but with a super cheap price tag. This may work if the insurance price was more expensive like 500s
With the recent patch to make everything drop, this isn't a terrible idea.

Look at this way:

It used to be you kept a max of 5 items (4 Armor + 1 Held) for free

This suggests that you can RECLAIM 2 - 3 items for a price.

So people who want to protect their gear still can, but it costs them and they cant protect it all.
So those people with rare weps and armor, will still be able to use them so they don't just sit in a chest, but they risk losing them if they don't insure them.
The only problem I see is potential duping. What happens to insured items upon death? Do they just vanish? Or do they drop and then when reclaimed vanish? If something broke and people could dupe rare gear somehow, this would be terrible. If there's little - no chance for dupes, this is a great idea, it keeps something we have that seemed to be complained about, and changes it so it works better.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
I like this idea but it runs into some issues.
1) infinite insurance, not good - limited, better
2) can't be super cheap otherwise everyone would do it.
3) coding, unsure how to put this out there without messing up things.

RagingDragon5

Portal
I think 500-1000s to have it to not drop 1 time per death would be a good idea. And make it so the limit it can have at a time is 5.

Ahrall

Legacy Supporter 5
What about a system similar to the current LWC system? Type "/insure hand" to insure whatever it is that you are holding for X souls. If you die, you keep the item on death and respawn with it at the graveyard. At this point the insurance is stripped meaning you would have to re insure it. If the item leaves your inventory before you die (you drop it, or chuck it in a chest) you get the X souls back and it looses its insurance
Again, if any insurance system gets implemented it would have to be rigorously playtested for any potential exploits