• Guest, we are doing a new map (refresh) for Herocraft. Gather your friends and get ready! Coming next Friday, 06/28/24 @ 7PM CT play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Improve the new player experience

Dsawemd

Wiki Team
Legacy Supporter 8
1. The current Spawn is deceptively difficult to walk out of, and Random TP's tend to discourage noobs. Noobs should, of course, mine until crafter 10, Mark in base, and then Warp to go do dungeons, but many noobs end up building and abandoning a base at a random TP, then bitching about Warp cooldown, then quitting. OR they bitch about /kit starter because they went to dungeons first, and their iron tool broke, and they quit.

We should emphasize the North and South spawn portals as free transport to a place around which to build, and put Random TP signs in a less "in your face" location.

2. Staff levels are low.

We need more chat staff to help new players figure out this confusing and complicated server.

3. Early tier dungeons are incredibly inefficient for a new player to farm, yielding 3-15 exp per mob and Tiny souls only sometimes. If a new player spends a long time in the early tier dungeons, they will regret it. If a new player is led to T5 or T6, and solos (or is helped to kill) ONE mob, they are level 10 instantly. The playerbase won't grow if active players have to help noobs circumvent the discouragingly slow and entirely skip-able grind for money and exp that is the Tier 1 and Tier 2 dungeon experience.

The difference in gameplay experiences between players who know how to go to Ivory and kill one melee mob, and noobs who grind world mobs or Tier 1 mobs for their first few hours is too high. It leaves some people behind and frustrated.

TLDR Bold

@Kainzo

Last edited:

iocobus

Coal
I think we need more quests so then you don't have to grind for exp as much. The mobs are hard to kill (which i REALLY REALLY like) but I think that quests would also encourage grouping, as people might be doing the same quest together and the quest is in a hard to get to location, so people work together. It seems especially hard for support classes when they don't have group to be with.

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8
2. Staff levels are low.

We need more chat staff to help new players figure out this confusing and complicated server.
TLDR Bold
I'll reply to what I can change.
I'm open to suggestions here.
I try and promote people who I've seen help and be active, but I can't always be on to watch people, to promote new ones or to watch old ones.

I'm sitting with 10 Guides right now, and 4-5 others who are guides but have higher positions to tend to.
So I'm open to suggestions for new ones or anything you think would help (Do so in a PM).

We used to have Auto-Bot to reply to a lot of questions, so if you see common questions that go unanswered, let us know so we can throw them into the Auto-Bot.

Also, @WitchOnaRampage seems like your area of expertise.

Rihawk_

Legacy Supporter 4
Canadia! why else would I be so friendly?
I feel like the dungeons are fun, even if you dont get much out of it, it will be better once all the kinks are worked out of the quests However. Heck I've even gone through to do the quests in t1/t2/t3 as a level 50 class as it gives a change in scenery even though it doesnt do much else.

Having party kills progress quests would also help a bunch probably grindingwise.

i just joined to be ignored for ages then get offered a join to a town that im betting was a pker thing then killed by a op player and tossed into a graveyard someplace in the wilds to then be killed by a op mob i think i will pass on ever playing your server again since its clear you dont really care about people new joining

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8
i just joined to be ignored for ages then get offered a join to a town that im betting was a pker thing then killed by a op player and tossed into a graveyard someplace in the wilds to then be killed by a op mob i think i will pass on ever playing your server again since its clear you dont really care about people new joining
Well shucks that must've been bad.
Odd that you were ignored, did you try /ch tour or /ch H at all?
You can also use /kit starter to give you basic things.

I'll reply to what I can change.
I'm open to suggestions here.
I try and promote people who I've seen help and be active, but I can't always be on to watch people, to promote new ones or to watch old ones.

I'm sitting with 10 Guides right now, and 4-5 others who are guides but have higher positions to tend to.
So I'm open to suggestions for new ones or anything you think would help (Do so in a PM).

We used to have Auto-Bot to reply to a lot of questions, so if you see common questions that go unanswered, let us know so we can throw them into the Auto-Bot.

Also, @WitchOnaRampage seems like your area of expertise.
I think we still do have the auto-bot. I am the kind of person that asks a lot of dumb questions (I think you can guess that based off of a conversation about adventure server I had with you and Devoted), and I have gotten that auto-bot quite a few times.
Well, that's too bad. Good luck elsewhere.

Irishman81

Senior Staff
Guide
Architect
Balance Team
Legacy Supporter 7
If you were the guy who asked 10 times how much money it costs to change your class, I answered you every time but you refused to read chat. If that wasn't you, have fun wherever you end up.

FrostWings

Legacy Supporter 7
Retired Staff
A portal back to the beginner tutorial, maybe? Some newbies keep asking for a tp back to that place.

Newbies tend to skip the tutorial, probably because they think herocraft is just another simple survival/pvp server.

Trazil

Legacy Supporter 2
A portal back to the beginner tutorial, maybe? Some newbies keep asking for a tp back to that place.

Newbies tend to skip the tutorial, probably because they think herocraft is just another simple survival/pvp server.
There is the wiki... Which is much easier to navigate and find what you need.

devotedworker

Retired Staff
Max Legacy Supporter

Not a Bad idea :D
There is the wiki... Which is much easier to navigate and find what you need.
People are lazy... in a Special Way

pure_autism

Legacy Supporter 5

I don't know who brought it up (Might have been @J2BH), but the reason it hasn't been possible to go back to the tutorial island up to this point is because of the free class switch. There are two solutions I can think of for this:

1. Make it so the spawnpoint when you first join the server and the spawnpoint for going back to Tutorial Island are separate, and have it somehow set up so that returning players don't get the option to choose a class while new players do.

2. Instead of having the sign only change your class, have it /hero reset you first. New players won't have any levels so it won't matter anyways and returning players can't abuse it. It would have to be made very obvious that clicking the sign resets you and that if this is your first time playing on the server, you won't be affected and you shouldn't worry about it.

The first one sounds difficult to implement but definitely possible, while the second one sounds like it could possibly confuse new players.

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8
I don't know who brought it up (Might have been @J2BH), but the reason it hasn't been possible to go back to the tutorial island up to this point is because of the free class switch. There are two solutions I can think of for this:

1. Make it so the spawnpoint when you first join the server and the spawnpoint for going back to Tutorial Island are separate, and have it somehow set up so that returning players don't get the option to choose a class while new players do.

2. Instead of having the sign only change your class, have it /hero reset you first. New players won't have any levels so it won't matter anyways and returning players can't abuse it. It would have to be made very obvious that clicking the sign resets you and that if this is your first time playing on the server, you won't be affected and you shouldn't worry about it.

The first one sounds difficult to implement but definitely possible, while the second one sounds like it could possibly confuse new players.
Actually, the first would just require copy/pasteing the tutorial and removing the class change in the 2nd one.
Then make the command/sign/whatever take you there instead of the first.

Actually, the first would just require copy/pasteing the tutorial and removing the class change in the 2nd one.
Then make the command/sign/whatever take you there instead of the first.
I was about to suggest this until I saw your post. GG Zel, GG...

But yeah, a second tutorial area would be handy. Would this be accessible from a teleporter at spawn or a command from anywhere? The only reason I ask this is because a new player may not be able to afford the cost to teleport back to spawn or fight their way back. If so, would it count towards a warp or not? It may be used as a free teleport to spawn if it does not, but they will not be able to teleport back to their homes for however long.

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8
I was about to suggest this until I saw your post. GG Zel, GG...

But yeah, a second tutorial area would be handy. Would this be accessible from a teleporter at spawn or a command from anywhere? The only reason I ask this is because a new player may not be able to afford the cost to teleport back to spawn or fight their way back. If so, would it count towards a warp or not? It may be used as a free teleport to spawn if it does not, but they will not be able to teleport back to their homes for however long.
I'd make it a portal in the Nexus. Everyone has /warp and worst case can walk to spawn.

joshtsai

Legacy Supporter 2
There's also the unused Old Nexus that was the original Nexus back in Bastion. It's on west(?) road right across from the retired dragon travel tree. That place needs some love. If you don't want to mess up the nice symmetry that is in the Nexus right now.