• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Improve arrows damage

KenHTMS

Legacy Supporter 2
As you know, Arrows deal two hearts of damage if they successfully hit the target and bows are very useful when you want to kill monsters in single player without coming close to them. However, arrows seem very laggy in multiplayer and they are not as easy to make like stone, iron swords. I tried to kill a guy with iron armor and helm in the server today with my bow. After spamming around a stack arrow he still chasing me so i ran out of arrows and recalled. He almost killed me with his stone sword. I hope bows are more useful !

Demonxman

Obsidian
a good ranger would know how to use his surroundings to catch the opponent off guard and hit him... but yea... two hearts damage sucks to iron armor and lag xD

Brutalacerate

AdministRaper
Well, since you acknowledged lag, why would you spam arrows? That won't do you any good.

A Ranger is a RANGEr. Start the fight from far away and try and keep the distance while lobbing a few arrows here and there; don't spam them, you'll not land more than a hit or two.

Get the jump on the enemy; start the fight from the top of a tree/mountain, etc.

KenHTMS

Legacy Supporter 2
Well... you know how laggy & weird people move in multiplayer. If I aim and slowly shoot at them the results will be the same as spaming arrows unless the target is not moving or moving straight. Don't belive me? Try it.

Shenorai

Banned
*facepalm*

Why do people insist on repeating complaints with very derp suggestions?

Seriously. If the lag is bad enough to make ranged attacks pretty much useless...then what good would additional damage do? No use in trying to buff something that isn't going to strike.

Sure, if it was for a Ranger class, then MAYBE an additional half-heart damage for the knowledge of key places to strike (IKaosI's suggestion). But other than that, no. Just no.

R3xz

Glowstone
the problem is lag, so i guess improve server performance would help? Or maybe there is a plugin that could assist with such client side graphic error when you're in a laggy state.

Also, Brutal, since it's harder to use a range attack when it's laggy, it will make it even harder trying to aim from a far distance and make it land on the target. Bow an arrow is actually more effective from close melee range.

KenHTMS

Legacy Supporter 2
*facepalm*
Seriously. If the lag is bad enough to make ranged attacks pretty much useless...then what good would additional damage do? No use in trying to buff something that isn't going to strike.

I did not say that the lag could make ranged attacks useless or the arrows isn't going to strike but very few of them would hit a person while moving like 15 blocks away (example: 1 out of 10 arrows) So if the bows deal more damage for rangers like 3 hearts wouldn't it be better ?

the problem is lag, so i guess improve server performance would help? Or maybe there is a plugin that could assist with such client side graphic error when you're in a laggy state.

I think our server performance is really good already...so improving it wouldn't help

R3xz

Glowstone
I suggest an implementation of elemental arrows.

I've heard of a mod that can do this. You craft an arrow and instead of using flint to make the arrow head, you can use snowball to make ice arrows, coal to make fire arrows, and TNT/gunpowder for explosive arrow. Explosive arrow could deal the same damage as a normal arrow but in an AOE effect, that would be easier to land on target if you can guess the general area that the person is standing on.

Brutalacerate

AdministRaper
Well... you know how laggy & weird people move in multiplayer. If I aim and slowly shoot at them the results will be the same as spaming arrows unless the target is not moving or moving straight. Don't belive me? Try it.
I've been on this server since December 23rd and I have ALWAYS used a Bow. Back in the day on the old machine, you have no idea, the lag was horrible; I'd kill someone with 15-20 Arrows. A few shots at a shit. Not spamming a stack of arrows as you shake your mouse like you're having a seizure.

Arrows do the damage that they do because if they did the same damage as a powerful Sword, it would be just plain stupid. You're gaining an advantage with the distance; less risk to be killed, etc.

Doogler

Legacy Supporter 2
And yes, I've seen this guy nab people with 10-20 shots from super far away when we've hit hard lag. Haha. Gotta learn to adapt, that's all. :p

Learn to use something that's unpredictable? I can go from 150 fps to 30 in one second. I dont believe most people know when their about to lag. Lets say you are having lag and you try to adjust, the arrows sometimes take twice as long to reach their destination, therefore you begin to shoot far in front of them. They see that one arrow and they can easily change directions. To the ranger, all i normally see is the guy teleport in another direction when they know im trying to lead them. So i may slow down to try and be more acurate, but this only leads to them being 10 blocks away and killing my clone.

R3xz

Glowstone
I haven't use a bow myself yet to know personally how it react in this server. But i've been shot at many times to know how ineffective the bow is when there's unpredictable lag that cause sporadic movement by players. If i can't take a swing at somebody with a sword at pointblank range because their actual location is 2-5 seconds apart from where they actually are, how am i expected to do the same with arrows without spamming stacks of it?

Beside, its not like everybody have the time to farm arrows all day long. The unpredictability of lag is the cause of the problem imo, not the lag itself. If the lag was constant, i could actually aim and lead all of my attacks and i would hit them spot on every time, but this is a different case from what i see.

R3xz

Glowstone
That would actually be fantastic Kain. Slower movement would mean a more predictable pattern in movement and rangers can kite their target with more effectiveness.