• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

If you could build a computer for Under $1000...

OrangeAngel

Legacy Supporter 2
Hello, I'm asking people, if they had $999.99 (yes, just under $1000), and you built a computer, what would the parts be? (includes Monitor and OS, Case). This is also the place for people to show a build, and get tips from the Herocraft community!

Format:
Name of the build: (I like to name my builds, though I've only built one, named it "POS")
Grand Total: (Includes Shipping/Sales)

Case:
Motherboard:
Processor:
Hard Drive (Or SSD):
Video Card:
Power Supply:
RAM:
Monitor:
CDROM/Burner:
Operating System:
Extras:

Kryptomaniac

Legacy Supporter 7
well god damn there are 100s of different builds. mainly reliant on obviously AMD or INTEL build. But good idea, ill post mine later tomorrow. :D

agentjwall

Godly
I always wanted to build my own computer so I wouldn't have to game on my macbook...

*sigh* Maybe someday when I get a more 'disposable', disposable income...

xxMASSCHAOSx

Legacy Supporter 3
My build cost around 700$ took around 3 weeks of pay and planning by all worth it www.newegg.com that's where I got my build. Good luck! (I'll post my specs once I get home)

OrangeAngel

Legacy Supporter 2
I always wanted to build my own computer to I wouldn't have to game on my macbook...

*sigh* Maybe someday when I get a more 'disposable', disposable income...
It's not as bad as the people gaming on a kindle fire =P

LESS TALK. MORE BUILDS

OrangeAngel

Legacy Supporter 2
Shameful Double post, but here is my build!

Name of the build: Dialated Dingo
Grand Total: $801.35

Case: Rosewill BLACKHAWK Gaming ATX Mid Tower - $89.99
Motherboard: ASUS M5A97 AM3+ AMD 970 - $94.99
Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb - $119.99
Hard Drive (Or SSD): Samsung by Seagate Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ/ST500DM005 - $79.99
Video Card: EVGA 01G-P3-1556-KR GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) - $134.99
Power Supply: SPARKLE R-SPI750ACAG - $104.99
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) - $41.99
Monitor: Already have one - $0.00
CDROM/Burner: LG 22X Super-Multi DVD Burner - $16.99
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - $99.99
Extras: Nope.

So... Tips on it? Should I get one thing over the other?

microsim

Legacy Supporter 7
If I had to build a PC for under 1k, I wouldn't skimp on the PSU. Cheap versions can fail hilariously and ruin components when they do. Seasonic, Corsair (except for the builder series) and XFX make quality PSU's. I have no idea if sparkle is quality or not so if it's reputable, take what I said with a grain of salt.

In the first case, don't go for RAM with massive fins (there's an identical finless version). Speaking from experience, it is a stupid thing to do, especially when you later want to put a larger heatsink in your case. You'll find that there won't be enough clearance for the heatsink and there will be much anger.

Despite the fins, its a decent selection. No need to go with anything higher than 1600Mhz or 'ZOMG timings' - it won't make a significant amount of difference to games or applications.

The 'If I only had $1000 and lived in the US where tech prices are cheaper' Build:
ASUS - P8Z68-V-LE
Sapphire - SA-7850-2GD5
Fractal Design - FD-CA-ARC-BL
Corsair - CMPSU-550TXM
Intel Core i5 2500K
Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000 500GB 7200RPM
Corsair Vengeance CML8GX3M2A1600C9 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3
Sony AD7280SGB DVDRW OEM
I already have keyboard/mouse/spare OS/monitor so that's excluded.
Not Ivy Bridge because I haven't been bothered to look at it yet.

Total is AU$1034, but with prices here being more expensive than the US, it's probably closer to US$1000. Shop around and you can probably find cheaper prices.

Hint: Cheaper license of Win 7 Pro can be bought if you're a student or at university (about $50) - even though it's classified as an upgrade, you can get it to activate even if you install from scratch. Just modify a field in regedit and the OS forgets that it's upgrade media(or at least this worked when I did it a year ago). It's not warez/filez/hax - to qualify you technically need a previous copy of windows (which you probably already have). This just bypasses the requirement to have the old copy of windows installed on the PC you want to install win 7 onto. It's much simpler to do a clean install from scratch.

Finally, no build is complete unless you have cut yourself when building it. I'm looking at you, I/O plates. ;)

Dazureus

Legacy Supporter 4
Finally, no build is complete unless you have cut yourself when building it. I'm looking at you, I/O plates. ;)
It's an established fact that truly great PCs are not produced by any simple combination of pieces, but a subconscious communion with the builder's mind, initiated by a blood ritual. Benefits of advanced Technomancy include tweaks to mouse movement or number generation, higher-than-expected overclocks and improved overall efficiency, and kicking people off your WiFi while away from the system itself.

It's not recommended that a novice jump right into these particular arts, however, as side-effects of getting in over one's head can include unavoidable tiredness, headaches, fevers, phantom noises and images, and suddenly losing all control over a body part just as the warranty expires.