• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Idea for towns

Halt township creation?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

Rane

Stone
Ok, well I feel that we need to stop creating new towns at this point in time. We are at a decent player size, and by creating more and more and more towns we seem to spread all the members to quickly. I feel that if we were to stop town creation temporarily it would help the server get to know eachother more, and keep people interested. Thanks

Posted a poll yes or no to halting town creation

Capn_Danger

Legacy Supporter 5
That's probably a good idea, we have a lot of startup towns trying to get going, I would like to see people join these towns so they can grow, instead of becoming stagnant.

I've been Mayor for almost 5 months, since before Beta, and I can tell you that unless you're constantly bringing in new people your town will go stagnant. A few of the people you recruit will stick around and become your stalwarts, but most people will get whitelisted, build a house, then not come back or only pop by very occasionally.

A temporary moratorium on new towns would be good for the server. More quality, less quantity. Perhaps Kingdoms should be allowed to found new towns as an exception, but if a Kingdom is expanding it's probably an organized effort from existing members anyways.

Symbolite

Legacy Supporter 7
Advancing is not the issue, its the new towns springing up all over. Should make it harder to create a town in the first place. The progression once you have a town is fine.

Raetac

Legacy Supporter 4
Personally I would like to see Dead towns demolished to the ground. That sort of risk will provoke activity.

Brutalacerate

AdministRaper
I voted no, for my own reasons, but on another thought:

Raetac, I agree. I think that structures in the Wilderness, which includes towns with insufficient numbers, should all be demolished. NOW!

That will totally provoke/encourage Town+'s to get busy bringing those of you that vote yes, the quality that you seek and still allow people to build new towns at the same time.

Personally, if a Town+ can't make it, they're doing something wrong and/or just not working hard enough.

Fire3

Iron
Capn_Danger said:
I've been Mayor for almost 5 months, since before Beta, and I can tell you that unless you're constantly bringing in new people your town will go stagnant. A few of the people you recruit will stick around and become your stalwarts, but most people will get whitelisted, build a house, then not come back or only pop by very occasionally.
That's kinda the fault of the town system. AFAIK, all towns have these 10x10 plots for citizens to build their house. Problem with these plots is that they're so distant. I don't mean by location, but by style. Even though towns have their own styles, you can build pretty much anything on your plot. Your house doesn't really feel part of the environment, it's more like an outtake. That's why it might be hard to move on from building your house to building public stuff.

wolfgang784

Legacy Supporter 3
Fire3 said:
Capn_Danger said:
That's kinda the fault of the town system. AFAIK, all towns have these 10x10 plots for citizens to build their house. Problem with these plots is that they're so distant. I don't mean by location, but by style. Even though towns have their own styles, you can build pretty much anything on your plot. Your house doesn't really feel part of the environment, it's more like an outtake. That's why it might be hard to move on from building your house to building public stuff.

A lot of towns have a general theme you need to stick with, and most of them do, which does make the houses seem part of the town. Chronus requires the citizens to build mostly out of sandstone for the exterior so the town really does look like a dessert town. Artemis asks you to use half steps often if you can, and most of the houses there look amazing together. But still, the town system does need another revamp, and there is another thread kainzo started for people to post opinions and ideas for a better system and revisions to the current one.

Draskuul

Legacy Supporter 5
Kainzo said:
We wont be prohibiting town creation, however, we will be making it a bit harder to advance

Referencing the other thread about handling town decay, it should be a bit the other direction--starting a town should be much harder, but advancing it should be easier. We have too many towns for too few server population.

gabizou

Sage of World Making
Architect
Legacy Supporter 7
I'd make it harder to start up new towns by either making towns that are about to become official have the risk of not staying active for one week before they get their town rings primarily because they recruit enough people to get the ring then the newest recruits can leave the day after and the town stops recruitment entire and dies. Also It should be encouraged to start towns FAR AWAY from current Kingdoms and upcoming Kingdoms (Like ORE is about to become landlocked by surrounding towns and a few towns/capital of Hopes End. It should be expected for people to explore the map and currently the map is large enough but people don't bother exploring enough and find one little place that is so close to everyone else its rediculous for expansions and new towns for a kingdom.