• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

I need help with Upgrading my PC.

judgedread540

Legacy Supporter 3
Okay so my B-Day is coming up soon and Christmas is getting closer aswell. Currently my computer can only handle minecraft on 20fps with optifine. Earlier this year i upgrading my Ram to 4GB which is the maximum for my PC but I only have 32bit vista so i only user around 3.2GB :( . It's a rather old PC, my parents won't let me get a laptop until next year so unless i convince them i just have to upgrade this PC so it can run games better. I'm not looking to be able to run games at max settings just good enough.
I'm not the most experienced with PC's. So i was hoping you guys could point me in the right direction to be able to run games at at least medium settings. I would like to know what to upgrade and maybe even suggest one to get. I'm also planning on getting Windows 7 around the time i get any upgrades

Here is what i could find out using a program. (If there is anything else you need i will try and find out for you.)

Computer:
Model: DIXONSXP T9608
64bit compatable: Yes

Processer:
Model: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E4500 @ 2.2GHz http://www.amazon.co.uk/Processor-u...1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1346487424&sr=1-1-catcorr
WTF?? ^
Speed: 2.2GHz
Cores per processer: 2 units
Threads per core: 1 unit
Type: Dual Core
Integrated Date Cache: 2x32Kb, Synchronous, Write-Thru, 8-way, 64 byte line size
L2 on board cache: 2MB, ECC, Synchronous, ATC, 8-way, 64 byte line size, 2 threads sharing

Computer:
Mainboard: Foxconn 45GM/45CM
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG 08/18/2007 (Swap the 08 and the 18 if your american!)
Bus(es): ISA X-Bus PCI PCIe IMB USB i2c/SMBus
Multi-Processer (MP) support: No
Multi-Processer Advanced PIC (APIC): Yes
Total memory: 3.25GB DIMM DDR2

Chipset:
Model: Foxconn 82945G Processer to I/O Controller
Front Side Bus Speed: 4x199MHz (796MHz)
Total Memory: 4GB DIMM DDR2
Channels: 2
Memory Bus Speed: 2x 332 (664MHz)

Video System: NVIDIA GeForce 7300 SE/7200 GS (2 PS3.0, 2 VS3.0 450MHz, 128MB DDR3 2x810MHz, PCIe 1.00 x16

Buy list
Windows 7
New graphics card?
New processer? Intel Core i5 or i7
HD 24' moniter (Hopefully)

Azuli

Iron
Hey Man i dont know alot about his sort of stuff, but i am in the middle of learning.
First, your processor is kinda sh*t. try and aim for an Intel Core i5 or i7.

Upgrade to at windows 7, I know windows 8 is coming out soon but ht probably wont make a big difference.

I hope this helps - Azuli

judgedread540

Legacy Supporter 3
Hey Man i dont know alot about his sort of stuff, but i am in the middle of learning.
First, your processor is kinda sh*t. try and aim for an Intel Core i5 or i7.

Upgrade to at windows 7, I know windows 8 is coming out soon but ht probably wont make a big difference.

I hope this helps - Azuli
Its all round complete shit, the graphics card seemed worse than the processer but like you i'm still learning.

ddrheretic

Legacy Supporter 4
Do you know your power supplies specs? From what I gathered it's a 350w

mb spec page http://www.foxconnchannel.com/ProductDetail.aspx?T=Motherboard&U=en-us0000315

Intel Core i5 or i7 will not work with this mb..

Your upgrade choices are a bit limited.

Your best bet would be to toss a better graphics card into it. One that will not melt down your psu. Possibly
Radeon HD 7750

Is the mb a gm or a cm..

If gm you can upgrade to a Intel Core2 Duo 2.66G Conroe E6700 1066 4MB 65W

judgedread540

Legacy Supporter 3
Do you know your power supplies specs? From what I gathered it's a 350w

mb spec page http://www.foxconnchannel.com/ProductDetail.aspx?T=Motherboard&U=en-us0000315

Intel Core i5 or i7 will not work with this mb..

Your upgrade choices are a bit limited.

Your best bet would be to toss a better graphics card into it. One that will not melt down your psu. Possibly
Radeon HD 7750

Is the mb a gm or a cm..

If gm you can upgrade to a Intel Core2 Duo 2.66G Conroe E6700 1066 4MB 65W
Sorry for the late reply, im still not sure on my power supply ill bust it open when i get some time. On you other question all the programs/sites i seem to go on seem to just say 45 GM/45 CM. Do you know somewhere that i can find out which it is?

ddrheretic

Legacy Supporter 4
That probably means it supports the cpu I listed as an upgrade. I would probably just get the graphics card and not worry about upgrading the cpu.

kyahco

Gold
Also you could use linux instead of windows.... much much fast and isn't a resource hog, also I wouldn't justest getting windows 8 but I agree with windows 7 though!

Of course changing your operating system is hard, in that it is hard to get used to but is easy peasy to do with a windows, I would suggest linux ubuntu or lindows (or is it winux...) just look those two up (ubuntu or lindows (maybe winux sorry :p)) ab you can get info about it all and if you want to do it.

I highly rcommend getting ubuntu useing a program that does it all for you and gives you the option apon boot up to choose windows or ubuntu, it runs a lot fast and is easy on the computer (don't worry it is as easy as windows or a mac to us now adays)

But exept for that I'm not great with hardware compatabilty but if you can also up dating the cpu is good but I would stick with the above post on that stuff :p

What about an i3? I know it isn't an i5/7 but I have seen some one run MC realy well on one, but he had a better make of one :\ so IDK if that would be any better unless you get a better version of it...

ddrheretic

Legacy Supporter 4
In order to know exactly what motherboard you have you will need to pop your case open and look for something saying gm cm. It will probably look just like this http://www.foxconnchannel.com/Upload/Mainboard/200710260217120156_45GM_3-1.jpg

This information is only important if you are thinking about upgrading the cpu/putting different ram in. You are restricted to ddr2 but it comes in faster flavors.

Although if I were you I would purchase a better graphics card and be done with it for now. Then eventually if you build or buy another desktop you could swap the graphics card you purchased into it.

I myself am in the same boat as you. My desktop needs an upgrade but I don't want to spend much on it because the hardware is old. Best to save up and start from scratch depending on the situation.

judgedread540

Legacy Supporter 3
In order to know exactly what motherboard you have you will need to pop your case open and look for something saying gm cm. It will probably look just like this http://www.foxconnchannel.com/Upload/Mainboard/200710260217120156_45GM_3-1.jpg

This information is only important if you are thinking about upgrading the cpu/putting different ram in. You are restricted to ddr2 but it comes in faster flavors.

Although if I were you I would purchase a better graphics card and be done with it for now. Then eventually if you build or buy another desktop you could swap the graphics card you purchased into it.

I myself am in the same boat as you. My desktop needs an upgrade but I don't want to spend much on it because the hardware is old. Best to save up and start from scratch depending on the situation.
I'm planning on getting a laptop eventually so as long as it runs ok im happy therefore i won't be buying a completely new PC. I already have the max ram for my PC.[DOUBLEPOST=1347039317,1347039257][/DOUBLEPOST]
Also you could use linux instead of windows.... much much fast and isn't a resource hog, also I wouldn't justest getting windows 8 but I agree with windows 7 though!

Of course changing your operating system is hard, in that it is hard to get used to but is easy peasy to do with a windows, I would suggest linux ubuntu or lindows (or is it winux...) just look those two up (ubuntu or lindows (maybe winux sorry :p)) ab you can get info about it all and if you want to do it.

I highly rcommend getting ubuntu useing a program that does it all for you and gives you the option apon boot up to choose windows or ubuntu, it runs a lot fast and is easy on the computer (don't worry it is as easy as windows or a mac to us now adays)

But exept for that I'm not great with hardware compatabilty but if you can also up dating the cpu is good but I would stick with the above post on that stuff :p

What about an i3? I know it isn't an i5/7 but I have seen some one run MC realy well on one, but he had a better make of one :\ so IDK if that would be any better unless you get a better version of it...
School has windows 7 and i have used it many times before so i would be ok getting used to it. I think i'll just get windows 7 and a new graphics card and be done with it for now.