• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Horse Let Down

FuturizeHandgun

Glowstone
So after sometime of running around and seeing what people have done with horses, I was quick to think that variation and breeds were the base of a horse's attributes. Sadly this is completely incorrect. Heres why. Essentially, when a horse is spawned, their information is RANDOMLY generated when created. This explains the pure whites, blacks, dark browns and all the different variation. Their attributes is are also generated randomly, but completely separate from their breed. Breeding on the other hand shares the information to have information from the two original partners. Of course sometimes breeding can get a bit weird and you would get weird results, but generally speaking, breeding will get a combination of the two parents. You can try it out yourself. So what? Its cool to mix and match and get cool and stupid looking horses but what really is the let down is its separate generation of its attributes, as the breed means nothing to its ability to jump high and far, or run fast. And the only way to test your horse is to time and set up hurdles. I hope that if Kainzo implements free use of horses or anything of that sort, he has a a basic timer with command blocks somewhere, as it will be nearly impossible to create a super breed of horses that jump 6.5 blocks high and clear 50 meters in 3 seconds. You can try it out yourself. I hope somehow notch could change it to breeds. There is some hope, as some horse breeds are averaging slightly better times and some are averaging slightly better jumps. This is a video that shows what I'm talking about. Also, what is your guys' onion on this?

MrFly007

Portal
I get where your coming from and this sounds actually like a great idea! I would enjoy having different breeds do different things. Then you can show off your horse and people will know its a good one :)

colley619

Legacy Supporter 4
i think if the horses in herocraft are too fast itd be a game breaker. first of all itll be OP in pvp because you can easily just run up on some newbie and kill him without him having a chance whatsoever. second, who needs herogates and ports when you can go from point A to point B for free and quick. i think if they are in the game, they should cost like ALOT of money and be able to summon one. or maybe require level 65 in your profession/class.

LightningCape

Holy Shit!
i think if the horses in herocraft are too fast itd be a game breaker. first of all itll be OP in pvp because you can easily just run up on some newbie and kill him without him having a chance whatsoever. second, who needs herogates and ports when you can go from point A to point B for free and quick. i think if they are in the game, they should cost like ALOT of money and be able to summon one. or maybe require level 65 in your profession/class.
This would not be a game breaker in my opinion. It would shorten the map and add another element of rpg. They shouldn't cost money to get as people would just complain and only wealthy players could use them. Herogates are still faster than horses could ever move. They should be summonable through all master level professions.

Predator2010

Legacy Supporter 3
As great as these ideas are, the general idea that Herocraft is still hammering out some unbalanced classes, bugged skills and various other nitty gritty things means that the limited capability of the dev team is stretched as it, and this is just a workload they may or may not be able to deal with

MultiHeartGold

Legacy Supporter 2
So when did you actually try the horses in PVP again?

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
We'll either find a good plugin that manage horses (if there even is an API) and then we'll adjust it for our needs.

I don't see it as that big of a deal at the moment.

The way I see it, we want to have the horses be summonable. Although the breeding aspect could be cool.

MrFly007

Portal
We'll either find a good plugin that manage horses (if there even is an API) and then we'll adjust it for our needs.

I don't see it as that big of a deal at the moment.

The way I see it, we want to have the horses be summonable. Although the breeding aspect could be cool.
Have you decided which class will be able to summon them? Or will it be a general skill? Just curious :)

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Have you decided which class will be able to summon them? Or will it be a general skill? Just curious :)
Well - I think it should be something purchased via in-game currency (or special block?)

I think natively a class or two should be able to get it by reaching X level. Not sure what we can do yet though.

Rumblestikk

Legacy Supporter 6
I was chatting about this with gabizou last night after asking some questions about their spawnage.

We kinda threw around the idea of a horse being summon-able, however dismounting you upon entering combat if that is possible. This way no classes get a benefit of mounted combat.

However as a Ranger, I would really like a horse I could shoot from so I can actually move and fight... so I'm not 100% sure on where my own input would fall.

JacobBurkey

Portal
*cant wait for someone to make a horse racing server where you join and get set in the stall to wait to start racing* >:D

FuturizeHandgun

Glowstone
What is the extent of variation within a breed?
well from each breed, there are general limits to their maximum and minimum attributes as people are just expire mentally trying to get results on where each breeds threshold is. If you play vanilla or any game with natural breeding/nonsummoning horse system, go for grey with white stalkings, and white pure breed, as the community is claiming them from the best speed and highest jump. It would be cool if you could have horse farms and buy cute little horses or breed your horse with other people's super horse for cash. Or cool parking lots in spawn would be cool too. Hopefully Kainzo can integrate summoning with breeding, which would create somewhat of depth to the horse aspect.

FuturizeHandgun

Glowstone
I was chatting about this with gabizou last night after asking some questions about their spawnage.

We kinda threw around the idea of a horse being summon-able, however dismounting you upon entering combat if that is possible. This way no classes get a benefit of mounted combat.

However as a Ranger, I would really like a horse I could shoot from so I can actually move and fight... so I'm not 100% sure on where my own input would fall.
I was thinking of a skill which would give a ranger a horse for a couple of seconds so they could use it as a distancing tool or a cavalry tool.

Bob_de_Blastoise

Legacy Supporter 5
I think merchants should be able to summon donkeys! Traveling salesman for the win! Just a imagine a donkey that walked around with a chest shop on his back.

Ellron23

Legacy Supporter 3
So after sometime of running around and seeing what people have done with horses, I was quick to think that variation and breeds were the base of a horse's attributes. Sadly this is completely incorrect. Heres why. Essentially, when a horse is spawned, their information is RANDOMLY generated when created. This explains the pure whites, blacks, dark browns and all the different variation. Their attributes is are also generated randomly, but completely separate from their breed. Breeding on the other hand shares the information to have information from the two original partners. Of course sometimes breeding can get a bit weird and you would get weird results, but generally speaking, breeding will get a combination of the two parents. You can try it out yourself. So what? Its cool to mix and match and get cool and stupid looking horses but what really is the let down is its separate generation of its attributes, as the breed means nothing to its ability to jump high and far, or run fast. And the only way to test your horse is to time and set up hurdles. I hope that if Kainzo implements free use of horses or anything of that sort, he has a a basic timer with command blocks somewhere, as it will be nearly impossible to create a super breed of horses that jump 6.5 blocks high and clear 50 meters in 3 seconds. You can try it out yourself. I hope somehow notch could change it to breeds. There is some hope, as some horse breeds are averaging slightly better times and some are averaging slightly better jumps. This is a video that shows what I'm talking about. Also, what is your guys' onion on this?

Dude, there's these things called paragraphs. Use them.

Jacobpanther

Legacy Supporter 3
Here is my onion on this
220px-Onion_on_White.JPG

Also, what is your guys' onion on this?