• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Herocrafts newly designed website "shots fired"

Status
Not open for further replies.

downfall325

Legacy Supporter 6
The landing page for herocraftonline.com is atrocious.. SHOTS FIRED i know it was designed by someone with little experience but we should really implement some QA into projects.

20% of mobile users own an iphone currently https://www.dropbox.com/s/vcgtkydw7a32r90/image1.PNG?dl=0
is your landing page on said ios device, your viewpoint is stretched images are scaled poorly, you have to navigate left and right just to see the entire page, the webpage may be "responsive" but lets face it its a poorly designed theme with no above the fold material for eye catching content, if your idea is to scare away new users this would be working. TOP NAV BAR? its gone, you cant even visit the forums from your landing page on an ios mobile device, I check forums at work often and no longer can i just visit herocraftonline.com to navigate to where i want to be. Png images are not a thing, only time you should be using lossless compression is when icons, buttons or a form of transparency is needed to achieve the quality of image you are aiming for.

just my two cents hope i didn't offend anyone too much.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
The landing page for herocraftonline.com is atrocious.. SHOTS FIRED i know it was designed by someone with little experience but we should really implement some QA into projects.

20% of mobile users own an iphone currently https://www.dropbox.com/s/vcgtkydw7a32r90/image1.PNG?dl=0
is your landing page on said ios device, your viewpoint is stretched images are scaled poorly, you have to navigate left and right just to see the entire page, the webpage may be "responsive" but lets face it its a poorly designed theme with no above the fold material for eye catching content, if your idea is to scare away new users this would be working. TOP NAV BAR? its gone, you cant even visit the forums from your landing page on an ios mobile device, I check forums at work often and no longer can i just visit herocraftonline.com to navigate to where i want to be. Png images are not a thing, only time you should be using lossless compression is when icons, buttons or a form of transparency is needed to achieve the quality of image you are aiming for.

@NuclearCouch
Oddly enough the first splash page worked well on Mobile, can we get this bootstrap working?

Also @downfall325 if you're volunteering to help out, im sure nuclear wont mind and i'd be glad to get the help. --- you can use hc.to as a quick link btw to the forums area.

Jrr_

Architect
Balance Team
Adventure Team
Legacy Supporter 3
I have an iphone 6 and it is like that.

NuclearCouch

Staff member
Community Manager
Administrator
I am aware it is like this, and haven't had time to optimize the site for mobile users. Apologies, it's my Junior year in high school and I am trying to keep my GPA up ;). @downfall325 Since you had the audacity to create this post, you are welcome to optimize it for mobile, I can throw you the code?

downfall325

Legacy Supporter 6
I am aware it is like this, and haven't had time to optimize the site for mobile users. Apologies, it's my Junior year in high school and I am trying to keep my GPA up ;). @downfall325 Since you had the audacity to create this post, you are welcome to optimize it for mobile, I can throw you the code?

I know you're aware its like this i reported it nearly a month ago to you ;)

Post was neither rude nor disrespectful so i believe Audacity may be a bit out of your vocabulary guy.. I'm a statistics kind of person and problems left unfixed when it comes to a website diminish the potential for new users.

before any site redesign launch you do a QA test to make sure your code indeed does work on all intended devices, even if hc.to does work as a quick link new members landing on that page will never see it causing higher bounce rates, and skewed time on page results, metrics may not make alot of sense to you but i assure you those numbers do matter in a business world.

And I rarely work for free. spent a day 1/2 on a plaguebomb code to be told by herocrafts vast majority that "nuclear couch was going to do it" we all see how that turned out ;) Though I do give insight, educated input and my years of experience for free <3

downfall325

Legacy Supporter 6
@jan9f

Definition of a internet e-bonics is
  • a humorous image, video, piece of text, etc. that is copied (often with slight variations) and spread rapidly by Internet users.
As a guide i believe you should be setting an example for the rest of the children, being a child yourself i know this might be hard. Best of luck.

hilariously enough m3m3 auto inputs internet e-bonics

jan9f

Legacy Supporter 3
@jan9f

• a humorous image, video, piece of text, etc. that is copied (often with slight variations) and spread rapidly by Internet users.
As a guide i believe you should be setting an example for the rest of the children, being a child yourself i know this might be hard. Best of luck.

Yes, because I'm a "child." I believe you need to "get off your high horse," as Nuclear stated. I think you need to keep that ego in check. Also, where have you seen this image before? I don't believe this is being "rapidly spread," as you put it. In fact, this came off a medical study regarding your health if you consume too much salt in your diet. It was not originally used as an image to be "funny," as I used it.

Oh, and for my last point, by saying I need to set an example "for the children," and you being a player on this server, does that not make you a child yourself?

NuclearCouch

Staff member
Community Manager
Administrator
@jan9f

The best part is the fact that you are being incredibly immature by thinking you are so much better than all the other "children" on this server. Grow the fuck up man, I didn't want this to turn into a flame post but you are not the king of the damn castle. A simple "this site doesn't work in mobile, please fix" would have sufficed, yet you go on a rant about how I don't do my job correctly, and that my creation is horrible.

If your ego is that high in real life, you need a reality check. Nobody likes a snob.

Dewyn

Retired Staff
How about getting back to playing the ball and not the player? The landing page?

Please. As much as I'd like to start telling people off, I'm not going to, because I have the same issues on Windows Phone (awkward stretching, etc.) and arguing about who's childish or whatever isn't fixing a damn thing. What will fix things is actually working on them.

@NuclearCouch: I understand the GPA thing, junior year was some serious stuff. I don't blame you for not making the mobile HC site a top priority, haha.

(If you really need to get on hc.to, find yourself a computer for now. Although the weird animated background makes my toaster throw fits.)

downfall325

Legacy Supporter 6
Yes, because I'm a "child." I believe you need to "get off your high horse," as Nuclear stated. I think you need to keep that ego in check. Also, where have you seen this image before? I don't believe this is being "rapidly spread," as you put it. In fact, this came off a medical study regarding your health if you consume too much salt in your diet. It was not originally used as an image to be "funny," as I used it.

Oh, and for my last point, by saying I need to set an example "for the children," and you being a player on this server, does that not make you a child yourself?

You were referred to as a "child" because you are 15. and indeed a child ;) this "highhorse you speak of" is called a double masters from one of the largest universities in america. I've managed, created, optimized and sold ads for heavy, collegehumor, sportsillustrated, drunkenstepfather, playboyplus, tempe12.. So when i have something to say pertaining a website, page load, design, optimization there's a pretty good chance im right and you would be better off listening. BEFORE you foolishly replied all butt hurt i already had planned on helping you fix it.. but then you started to cry..

Ps @NuclearCouch re-read my initial post i clearly said i realized you were young and inexperienced all which are true.. if you get butt hurt over someone calling out shotty coding and a sloppy release switch careers asap you're headed in the wrong direction if you get offended easily ;)

Cuddles. Downfall

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8
Works fine for me on my iPhone 5c
Really? Mine doesn't (I just tested it. The Sign Up button works but no other pictures load :( )
Anyway, @NuclearCouch thanks for the splash page.
When you get time I'm sure the mobile users (Including me) would appreciate a nicer looking splash page. For now, thanks for making one in the first place.

Irishman81

Senior Staff
Guide
Architect
Balance Team
Legacy Supporter 7
This is strange because nothing on my mobile version has changed in like a year

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8
This is strange because nothing on my mobile version has changed in like a year
Only the splash page changed. You probably directly connect to the forums.
Herocrafonline.com
Is different than
Herocraftonline.com/main

Trazil

Legacy Supporter 2
Really? Mine doesn't (I just tested it. The Sign Up button works but no other pictures load :( )
Anyway, @NuclearCouch thanks for the splash page.
When you get time I'm sure the mobile users (Including me) would appreciate a nicer looking splash page. For now, thanks for making one in the first place.
I only use the forums on my phone pretty much, and it works perfectly fine for me

j2gay

Legacy Supporter 6

I know you're aware its like this i reported it nearly a month ago to you ;)

Post was neither rude nor disrespectful so i believe Audacity may be a bit out of your vocabulary guy.. I'm a statistics kind of person and problems left unfixed when it comes to a website diminish the potential for new users.

before any site redesign launch you do a QA test to make sure your code indeed does work on all intended devices, even if hc.to does work as a quick link new members landing on that page will never see it causing higher bounce rates, and skewed time on page results, metrics may not make alot of sense to you but i assure you those numbers do matter in a business world.

And I rarely work for free. spent a day 1/2 on a plaguebomb code to be told by herocrafts vast majority that "nuclear couch was going to do it" we all see how that turned out ;) Though I do give insight, educated input and my years of experience for free <3
You were referred to as a "child" because you are 15. and indeed a child ;) this "highhorse you speak of" is called a double masters from one of the largest universities in america. I've managed, created, optimized and sold ads for heavy, collegehumor, sportsillustrated, drunkenstepfather, playboyplus, tempe12.. So when i have something to say pertaining a website, page load, design, optimization there's a pretty good chance im right and you would be better off listening. BEFORE you foolishly replied all butt hurt i already had planned on helping you fix it.. but then you started to cry..

Ps @NuclearCouch re-read my initial post i clearly said i realized you were young and inexperienced all which are true.. if you get butt hurt over someone calling out shotty coding and a sloppy release switch careers asap you're headed in the wrong direction if you get offended easily ;)

Cuddles. Downfall
The problems you point out in your original post are spot on. Perhaps some attention as to the delivery would have secured a more favorable response . As a "statistics" guy I am sure you are aware that the odds of encountering resistance when offering criticism, however constructive your intent, to a young male about his creations are quite high. Even more so when your opening statement reeks of arrogance and is riddled with veiled insults. The fact that you felt the need to conclude your post with an apologetic declaration of not intending to offend anyone "too much" indicates that you were fully aware that your post would be seen as offensive, or that it was indeed your intent to be offensive.

It is of course possible that I, and I dare say the majority of those who have read your post, am misinterpreting your intent. However as an "ad guy" I am sure you are aware that intent is irrelevant, perception is everything. The perception, as clearly evidenced by the posts in this thread, is that you were intentionally rude and incredibly arrogant in your delivery. This being the case audacity is exactly the word that should be used to describe your behavior. Certainly someone with your educational background figured this out before ever responding, yet you continued to hurl insults rather than offer an explanation of your intentions.

A simple "Hey I know your new to this but here are some problems I am seeing, here are some ways you can avoid them in the future, and here are are a few suggestions for what to do now to make it better" As opposed to, and I'm adlibbing a bit here, " Hey you suck, this is how you suck, this is why you suck, and these are the things you should have done to not suck" would have, in my humble opinion, gone a long way to getting your point across in a constructive manner.

The icing on the cake here is that after an entire thread of playing the "guy with a vastly superior intellect who requires and should command your attention" you brag about your educational background and call someone out for being "but hurt" in the same paragraph. I must say the irony is more than mildly amusing.

Its a pity they didn't give you any instruction on interpersonal communication or decorum at that fancy college. I wonder if that costs extra?

Of course you should feel free to disregard everything I have said here. I mean its not like I have any JSOC leadership experience, or a >150 IQ, or a Phd or anything like that. Or do I?

downfall325

Legacy Supporter 6
Lets all count the number of times j2gay mentions his education or attempts to brag about his IQ in random forum posts #lol J2gay my original delivery a month ago was much more subtle and nice, as stated problems left unattended tend to scare the new folk away ;) Im sure if an admin peeked at analytics and viewed time on page or mobile views last month to this month you'd notice the fluctuation. Anyways i appreciate a well thought out response you at least put that 152 iq to good work using superb punctuation and structure for that i salute you. I'm not here to babysit or spare someone 15 year olds feelings.. I simply brought up a problem that was addressed a month ago and still not taken care.

Notice how this entire thread is now full of clutter and opinions. If you are not the person owning the website, nor the one that created the splash page pretty sure your post is irrelevant ;)

happy huntings

Irishman81

Senior Staff
Guide
Architect
Balance Team
Legacy Supporter 7
Guys when I was in 6th grade I came in 7th in the spelling bee

j2gay

Legacy Supporter 6
Lets all count the number of times j2gay mentions his education or attempts to brag about his IQ in random forum posts #lol J2gay my original delivery a month ago was much more subtle and nice, as stated problems left unattended tend to scare the new folk away ;) Im sure if an admin peeked at analytics and viewed time on page or mobile views last month to this month you'd notice the fluctuation. Anyways i appreciate a well thought out response you at least put that 152 iq to good work using superb punctuation and structure for that i salute you. I'm not here to babysit or spare someone 15 year olds feelings.. I simply brought up a problem that was addressed a month ago and still not taken care.

Notice how this entire thread is now full of clutter and opinions. If you are not the person owning the website, nor the one that created the splash page pretty sure your post is irrelevant ;)

happy huntings
Actually its 192 but hey who's counting. My point was that IQ, education, socioeconomic status, are all irrelevant if you can't get your point across with some degree of palatability.

Do I occasionally remark on my status in these areas in order to abuse and harass people? You bet I do. Its fun and its funny. Its also however not constructive. If you were to run a statistical analysis I venture a guess that it would account for less than 5% of my total posting. I generally reserve such behavior for when the conversation has reached a the tipping point of reason and a constructive outcome is already highly unlikely.

Depite the high and mighty approach you have taken this entire thread your visceral response to my post indicates that you too respond defensively when your ego is slighted.

You remark that this thread is full of irrelevant clutter and opinions because people other than the website owner or designer are commenting. Have you asked yourself why? You insulted both of those parties with your original post. It is natural and expected that they and others who support them would react defensively.

You have legitimate concerns that really do need to be addressed quickly. Sometimes you have to take ego out of the equation in order to get the job done. If that requires sparing the ego of a "child" as you put it then so be it. Do you want the job done or don't you?

Status
Not open for further replies.