• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Herocraft: The Great Discussion

What would you like to see most looked into on Herocraft?

• Total voters

agedbear

A frightening Cactus!
The only thing that I see to contribute to what has not already been said is about the utter paranoia that new/weaker players feel. I can say with a fair amount of confidence that 95% of the time I see another player they do one of 2 things. Run in fear that I am max level and out to kill them or immediately attack me. There is zero sense of community unless the other party is in your town. We are at war with everyone from the moment you leave spawn. I would love to see some ideas on how to fix this. I would like to meet new people on the server without that paranoia present. As is stands the only way to visit a neighboring town is to raid them and risk getting killed. A big part of minecraft is it's creative outlet, otherwise it would be set maps with no possibility of building anything. And we have metic fuckton of creative people here but no one gets to really see and explore their creations because of this attack on sight mentality. I also like the idea of maps being smaller to bring us closer together but that is only due to server population as we are now. Once we bring in enough new blood we will need the larger maps to prevent overcrowding but right now smaller maps (1k diameter) are fine.

Again though I want to reiterate that I'm not trying to downplay how important PVP is to HC but when everyone you see is an enemy it tends to turn some people off and we need to find a way to change this

Irishman81

Senior Staff
Guide
Architect
Balance Team
Legacy Supporter 7
The only thing that I see to contribute to what has not already been said is about the utter paranoia that new/weaker players feel. I can say with a fair amount of confidence that 95% of the time I see another player they do one of 2 things. Run in fear that I am max level and out to kill them or immediately attack me. There is zero sense of community unless the other party is in your town. We are at war with everyone from the moment you leave spawn. I would love to see some ideas on how to fix this. I would like to meet new people on the server without that paranoia present. As is stands the only way to visit a neighboring town is to raid them and risk getting killed. A big part of minecraft is it's creative outlet, otherwise it would be set maps with no possibility of building anything. And we have metic fuckton of creative people here but no one gets to really see and explore their creations because of this attack on sight mentality. I also like the idea of maps being smaller to bring us closer together but that is only due to server population as we are now. Once we bring in enough new blood we will need the larger maps to prevent overcrowding but right now smaller maps (1k diameter) are fine.

Again though I want to reiterate that I'm not trying to downplay how important PVP is to HC but when everyone you see is an enemy it tends to turn some people off and we need to find a way to change this
Isn't this supposd to be the point of pve? Pvp is where you have to think all the time "is that guy going to attack me?" Pve is where you can meet people without that fear.

agedbear

A frightening Cactus!
Isn't this supposd to be the point of pve? Pvp is where you have to think all the time "is that guy going to attack me?" Pve is where you can meet people without that fear.

To an extent I agree, but if that is the case, why allow building on the PVP server at all? Can the 2 not be merged in some fashion? If we could it would alleviate many of the complaints of not enough players on the PVP server. Perhaps we could implement non-PVP zones throughout the map that are not solely GY or Spawn. Rather than segregate our population we should bring everyone together in a way that makes more than just the PVP or PVE players happy. I'm sure that we can find some sort of compromise for this.

Fjordsen

Legacy Supporter 6
There has been times long before PvE where players could meet without fleeing or attacking each other. Too bad people nowadays only have the attack-first, question later mentality which destroyed diplomacy and server politics.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
There has been times long before PvE where players could meet without fleeing or attacking each other. Too bad people nowadays only have the attack-first, question later mentality which destroyed diplomacy and server politics.
This doesnt destroy politics. Throwing in the towel does. It's about the culture of the server. We used to have PVP on and people never used it in fear of being blacklisted from the server for killing someone and karma wasnt even in.

If we had a pretty stern karma/punishment system for murderers I could see there being one giant server but even then, players have proved that they dont care about any punishment and will do whatever they want.

Adventure map will see the joining of the two servers through select areas of conflict such as arenas, dungeons and entire regions. A warning will be given to tell them that there is conflict in this area and you can be killed, etc.

agedbear

A frightening Cactus!
Adventure map will see the joining of the two servers through select areas of conflict such as arenas, dungeons and entire regions. A warning will be given to tell them that there is conflict in this area and you can be killed, etc.
This sounds interesting, definately looking forward to it

xMJay

Portal
This doesnt destroy politics. Throwing in the towel does. It's about the culture of the server. We used to have PVP on and people never used it in fear of being blacklisted from the server for killing someone and karma wasnt even in.

If we had a pretty stern karma/punishment system for murderers I could see there being one giant server but even then, players have proved that they dont care about any punishment and will do whatever they want.

I feel like the ideal situation would be a single adventure map with pve/pvp areas. The best leveling in risky pvp areas/conquest points with significant rewards. Regions where towns can be created in etc. PvE areas where people can build/level at slower rates.

RShooter2000

ICE ICE ICE!

This is what killed PvP, why play on PvP, when you can play on PvE with no risk of dying to people or loosing your things?

RShooter2000

ICE ICE ICE!

Problem with adventure server is that it will never have a huge population, same with the other maps; Aegis, Sanctuary, FFA Map, and any maps after that. Everyone will be split between servers.

I think a map with everything combined would be a great compromise, PvP, PvE, RPG, Dungeons, Conquest, Bosses, Raiding, PvE Areas. A map full of different things to do, not 4 - 5 different servers that are empty except for their only purpose. This gives a server for everyone, and an enjoyful experience for those who would like to just build or level in peace, PvP, Conquest or Raid, or explore and conquer dungeons. This would make a server that is actually populated, instead of 30 on one server and 30 on the other. You can meet new people and do new things on just one server.

This might just make people want to try new things!

Splitting servers makes it so that people will never interact with each other who like different things. Because certain people won't want to just go kill people all day, and others won't want to go kill mobs all day.

Combing all of the great features of Herocraft into one server creates a populated server where everyone has something to do, and something they like doing. Creates a lot more people interaction and team-based things.

My idea for a map with all the features includes PvE areas being sort of like HGs, but instead of HG's there would be individual towns sort of like central, but instead would be much smaller. These towns would have NPCs, and would be counted as a "lawful" zone (No-PvP). The area surrounding the towns would also be "lawful" zones, but a player would also be able to break, place, mine, and kill mobs. These "lawful" zones would expand a 400+ blocks radius from the town. This gives players plenty of room to level, build, or setup towns peacefully. The towns themselves would be regioned and upon entering them, would say, Now Entering (town name)!
Then when outside of the "lawful" areas it would be considered "wilderness" in this zone PvP is activated along with breaking, placing, Etc. Conquest Points would be placed in these areas, along with dungeons. Arenas could be placed in or near towns to encourage "organized" PvP and duels. To me that's about as much RPG as it gets.

I got kind of carried away with coming up with ideas, just thought the ideas from other people suggesting 1 map for everything sounded cool.

I feel like this would bring in old and new players alike with an all-in-one package.

Last edited:

Paul_Bakken

Obsidian
For the combat classes, perhaps a new tier of mastery levels could be available after reaching the current level cap.

But there would only be a limited number of levels, and only a certain number of players could hold each level at any given time.

Sort of like the "Grand Master of Flowers" for Monks in old school AD&D.

For example, after level 65 Wizard, a player can try to become a level 1 Master Wizard. But to do so, he or she must track down and defeat one of the current (up to) 8 players that hold that title. A level 1 Master Wizard must defeat one of the (up to) 4 level 2 Master Wizards to advance to that level. And a level 2 must defeat one of the (up to) 2 level 3 Master Wizards to advance to that level. And finally, either of the level 3 MWs can challenge the 1 level 4 MW to claim the apex spot in the Wizardry food chain.

If not all of the slots for a given level of mastery are filled when a player wants to advance to that level, the player has the option to pay a high Soul cost or materials cost instead.

When a challenge is successful, the players swap level slots. Hence, if a level 65 Wizard successfully challenges a level 1 Master Wizard, he or she becomes a level 1 MW, and the defeated player loses the level 1 MW and drops back to a level 65 Wizard.

The "challenge" would be a new ability that one can cast against one's target within a range of 25 or so blocks. It starts the challenge match, which has a timer of about ten minutes. The two players must fight until one or the other is killed. Logging out results in an automatic loss. If neither player is killed, they BOTH have something bad happen to them (to prevent challenged players from TPing away or hiding), but I haven't decided what that should be yet. Challenges should have a cool down timer of a day or so.

There should also be an ability called "seek." Seek operates like the Ranger Track ability, but can only be applied to players who are the next level up from the caster. This lets players track down the target of their impending challenge.

The Mastery levels should have some nice new abilities, or at least enhanced versions of existing ones.

This type of system would give something for the highest level players to do, and would provide a reason for uber players to attack other uber players instead of camping noobs at graveyards. ;)