• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion [Hero Towns] Physical Town Bank

Jonsoon

Legacy Supporter 8
Instead of when you /tb deposit an item and disappears into the imaginary bank, that you must physically place the item in a chest. (Think guild vaults in WoW)

These chests would be designated by the mayor by a command similar to /tb create, or something along those lines. Perhaps even go as far as to specify which item can go into the chest to avoid getting too much of one item, and to easily organize them.
This 'locked' chest would now only be able to be opened by town members, but no one would have the ability to withdraw, only to deposit. When the mayor upgrades the town, the plugin would check all the designated chests for the items, then delete them. Maybe even the whole chest!
Each town upgrade will receive more chests that can be locked in this way.

Now you may be thinking, "You are going to need a shit load of chests!". Well, yes. Yes you will.

If my math is right (which it probably isn't):
Hamlet: 226 total stacks - 4 double chests
Town: 810 total stacks - 15 double chests
City: 6,148 total stacks - 108 double chests (55 of them are from cobblestone!)
I did not include Capital since the expansion costs are smaller than to get city.. wtf?

My first thought on that is to reduce the cobblestone requirement. It is such a trivial requirement.

This idea has been floating around in my head for a LONG time, and I just now got a possible idea.
Any thoughts?

Eldrylars

Legacy Supporter 8
The idea sounds interesting but I would ask a further question.

What does it add to game play that is missing or how would it positively effect the server?

Rumblestikk

Legacy Supporter 6
Just no.

Can you imagine coming up with the room for 108 Double Chests? Let alone security into the room, and all that other stuff.

However if this IS going to be possible. Then make Mayors able to withdraw, dear god, I have too much useless crap in my TB already.

Jonsoon

Legacy Supporter 8
The idea sounds interesting but I would ask a further question.

What does it add to game play that is missing or how would it positively effect the server?
I think this idea is coming from the days of Zeal where towns were required to have certain buildings. Townhall, Inn, Library, and so on.

How will it add to game play? I dislike the fact that you can deposit items into the town bank from anywhere on the map. It is almost like a drop transfer that everyone in the town can use. Except the fact you can't get the items back :p

Just no.

Can you imagine coming up with the room for 108 Double Chests? Let alone security into the room, and all that other stuff.

However if this IS going to be possible. Then make Mayors able to withdraw, dear god, I have too much useless crap in my TB already.
Yes the 108 double chests is just stupid to think about. Security of the room would not be a problem because the chests would be 'locked' and are deposit only.

The reasoning I say no withdraw is because people would use these as an LWC. That is also why I suggest only items required for the upgrade be able to be deposited.

Eldrylars

Legacy Supporter 8
I think this idea is coming from the days of Zeal where towns were required to have certain buildings. Townhall, Inn, Library, and so on.

How will it add to game play? I dislike the fact that you can deposit items into the town bank from anywhere on the map. It is almost like a drop transfer that everyone in the town can use. Except the fact you can't get the items back :p

Yes the 108 double chests is just stupid to think about. Security of the room would not be a problem because the chests would be 'locked' and are deposit only.

The reasoning I say no withdraw is because people would use these as an LWC. That is also why I suggest only items required for the upgrade be able to be deposited.

So we are just looking to expand the the system from a "virtual" to a "literal" town bank to add a true physical aspect to it. I am usually one for adding more in game property but I would say that although I am not a fan of global banking I am also not a fan of un-needed extra chore.:eek: Now if the system was this way from the beginning none of us would have known better, but we have all tasted the ease of the current system ;)
I think the idea has merit but I also believe that the coding involved could be used to create other systems of more importance such and township sub-regions or better member controls or even self created ranks.

Haxnn

Legacy Supporter 3
It also sucks when someone decides to do donate 0 of an item. It shows up in the town bank as "0 [item]"

Roadkill909

ICE ICE ICE!
I imagine the reason this wasn't done originally was because it is a technical hassle. Making an SQL table of town name, item id, item damage, and amount is pretty straightforward. Even better is the fact that you can check and modify that data in a way that won't slow the game down.

To make this possible, you first have to set up a system to register all the chests. There's the issue of allowing a changing list of town members access to a locked chest, which hasn't been implemented by developers yet for normal LWCs.

Second, while upgrading, you would have to verify that the requirements are met without slowing down the game. Because minecraft data is not thread-safe, this makes things tricky. You have to check and remove items from chests which requires the game thread to do the work.

It doesn't mean it can't be done. After the chest hurtle, this would best be done by splitting it up over several sequential tasks, and during the process locking down the chests. The lockdown ensures townmembers don't add items or delete chests while the data is being crunched. Also during this whole process you better hope there's not a restart or crash. These are all of course normal ACID problems

After all that time is spent in implementation, there is still a ton of time that needs to be spent testing. This involves items after all, so any bug has a high chance of also being an exploit.

tl;dr While the idea is neat and simple from a gameplay standpoint, it's ugly and complicated from a technical standpoint. I like it, but dev time is a precious commodity, and it might be better spent on skills and karma

leftovers5

Legacy Supporter 8
Just give me a withdraw system to the current one.

As a mayor, I want the crap in there gone..

WHO DONATES 500 SLIMEBALLS.
Try having 3 paper in your town bank that's been there for 3 months staring at you whenever you use /tb view D:

Sigpit

Legacy Supporter 7
I really hope this is put in, I have 10 pages of shit in my townbank and only 4 pages are needed the rest is filled with seeds dirt potatoes (4000 of them) and other random stuff.

ZenZiggy

Legacy Supporter 4
I have always thought of this myself but withdrawing it would be great and maybe only have managers be able to access them. because if i can't withdraw then what is the point seems like its more safe virtually the only good thing about this is that you can see how much more you need of a certain item instead of typing a bunch of commands.

Agreed this would be interesting to set up coding/in-game wise so idk if we want to tax Kainzo with more coding due to recent events in his life but outside of that it seems pretty awesome.