• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Help Mason's out--set the "use" perms to OFF for regions and towns

Favith

Legacy Supporter 7
I don't think it's news to anyone that Mason lifts/bridges/gates can currently be exploited by people to get access to an area (town or personal region) when they normally wouldn't have been granted such access.

Even without the exploit portion (which I won't explain here in case there's a raider left out there who doesn't currently know how to do it) Mason addons are more of a liability than a perk. Why? Because, by default, anyone can "use" things in your personal region or town (even non town members). A Mason lift to HC code looks just like a workbench--both are open for use by anyone.

I ask the towns in my Kingdom if they need Mason work and they tell me it's too much of a risk. We had a member of another kingdom use the "Lift Glitch" to access one of our towns just this morning! Nobody is going to want Mason add-ons if they are this easy to exploit.

Combine this with the fact that the best thing on our list to make--our top tier skill--is STILL broke and that the list of materials we can use to make doors/bridge/gates is so very limited and the Mason path might as well be the red-headed stepchild of Herocraft.

Please--make Mason lifts (and other builds) usable by only people with region perms. It would be such an amazing fix and would instantly add real value for a town to have Mason add-ons. Otherwise, why have a gate that ANYONE can open? Why have a lift that anyone can use? And who wants a bridge made out of wood when everything else in your kingdom is stone?

Help the Masons out, Herocraft---don't treat your red-headed step child this way!!

;)

Favith

j2gay

Legacy Supporter 6
There are a few ways to mitigate the risk that I would be glad to discuss with you in private. It would be pretty awesome though if the permissions were off for non townies or if the signs could be locked with Lwcs.

Jonsoon

Legacy Supporter 8
The main lift glitch that only masons could use cannot be used on towns any more due to the regions now extend from bedrock to sky. Personal Regions are still at risk.
As for the other lift glitch, which I can only suspect is used when you can bypass a wall by standing farther away, is not a glitch. That is poor planning.

But yes, I agree that the permissions should be off for anyone not a member of the region.

Davros_

Web Developer
Legacy Supporter 9
This option was taken out in Zeal I believe, in an effort to make HC more hardcore. I think it should remain this way. With decent planning and design, it can be made secure.

whitemagehealu

Legacy Supporter 7
Masons skill are too much of a security risk. Your lifts that you put in Verstad were exploited multiple times. Though how they knew where the lift sign was from the outside is peculiar. ;p

Favith

Legacy Supporter 7
This option was taken out in Zeal I believe, in an effort to make HC more hardcore. I think it should remain this way. With decent planning and design, it can be made secure.

While I realize you can surround your lift signs with a dirt box and place them in an area that is completely clear in a 7 block radius I feel as though that severely limits design options and greatly reduces the value of a mason add on. Why go through so much trouble when a ladder can be placed against any wall and only requires one dirt block at the top to be completely secure?

TNT will get raiders into a town (as will pillaring for most towns)---why limit Mason functionality in the name of "more hardcore"?

Danda

Dungeon Master Extremist
Staff member
Administrator
Guide
Wiki Team
Max Legacy Supporter
We have had Use off in town regions before. It's not something we're going to put back in. We're still looking into ways of fixing this infact you probably have already seen one iteration which is having a few teething issues atm when you try and open a chest sometimes.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Yep, security checks have been put in place for it to happen less often. With proper design you can make this a non-issue.

whitemagehealu

Legacy Supporter 7
Yep, security checks have been put in place for it to happen less often. With proper design you can make this a non-issue.

With proper design you could make lagging into chests a non-issue. Yet here we are with this [ChestFix] plugin.

Favith

Legacy Supporter 7

I'm not going to argue with you as your mind seems made up. It seems counter-intuitive, however, that a Mason lift (meant to replace ladders) can't be placed against a wall (like ladders can) without being a severe security liability. Saying that "proper design" is the fix feels like a cop out.

Any word when Hidden Switch will work? None of the master masons can get it to function.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
I'm not going to argue with you as your mind seems made up. It seems counter-intuitive, however, that a Mason lift (meant to replace ladders) can't be placed against a wall (like ladders can) without being a severe security liability. Saying that "proper design" is the fix feels like a cop out.

Any word when Hidden Switch will work? None of the master masons can get it to function.
Double sided walls can quickly resolve...

j2gay

Legacy Supporter 6
Is there any chance of allowing lwcs to be used for lifts, gates or bridges?

Roadkill909

ICE ICE ICE!
Here's an idea that may help your cause. Herotowns uses Worldguard, which means all town regions can be flagged with the "use" flag. This means raiders wouldn't be able "use doors, buttons, pressure plates, levers, etc". If you hide your special mason signs behind a block and redstone button, then raiders couldn't use them.

I'm pretty sure setting "use" to deny wouldn't affect the Scribe skill "Telekinesis". I've seen many complain this skill is useless, and this change would add a great use to it and make Scribes, like Miners, handy to have in a raid.

The door thing many may not approve of, but it may decrease the amount of ugly dirt block doors.

j2gay

Legacy Supporter 6
Here's an idea that may help your cause. Herotowns uses Worldguard, which means all town regions can be flagged with the "use" flag. This means raiders wouldn't be able "use doors, buttons, pressure plates, levers, etc". If you hide your special mason signs behind a block and redstone button, then raiders couldn't use them.

I'm pretty sure setting "use" to deny wouldn't affect the Scribe skill "Telekinesis". I've seen many complain this skill is useless, and this change would add a great use to it and make Scribes, like Miners, handy to have in a raid.

The door thing many may not approve of, but it may decrease the amount of ugly dirt block doors.
:
This has already been suggested and was shot down by
staff
::

Danda

Dungeon Master Extremist
Staff member
Administrator
Guide
Wiki Team
Max Legacy Supporter
I've seen many complain this skill is useless, and this change would add a great use to it and make Scribes, like Miners, handy to have in a raid.
Been planning on utilizing this for a few dungeons.

leftovers5

Legacy Supporter 8
Which isn't to say that it's still illegal...? Obviously it's nice to exploit-proof everything, which is sad, yet sometimes it's just not practical.