• Guest, we are doing a new map (refresh) for Herocraft. Gather your friends and get ready! Coming next Friday, 06/28/24 @ 7PM CT play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Healer Class... What Direction Is It Going?

STDs4YouAnd4Me

Legacy Supporter 8
As you may know, all heals (aside from LayHands and FullHeal) got a 33% nerf if you're healing yourself. I understand the motive behind it; all healers are now being driven toward a more utility, group friendly class.

Honestly, I think that's great, but at it's current state (aside from Clerics) it is impossible to achieve this. Bloodmages and Mystics have no AOE's at all. Disciples have one AOE healing skill; Chakra. Imagine fighting a 2vs2 battle and attempting to heal your partner in battle. Add to the fact that all healing skills have a warm-up time and you can now see why target heals are a problem.

Of course, many of us aren't involved in 2vs2 battles. The vast majority have 10+ guys fighting in a small perimeter. With that being said you can completely understand how impossibly hard it is to heal a member of your party in 95% of the battle situations we put ourselves through.

The solution? AOE heals. At least 1, if not 2 AOE heals should be available to all healer specs. If utility is the way healer specs are headed, then make it so. If all healers had a sufficient way of healing party members maybe then you'd be seeing more people drive toward this class. Currently, Healers are ignored by the majority of the community, and for good reason.

TL;DR? The 33% nerf effectively made Healer specs 33% worse with no sufficient way of once again giving back 100% heals to members.

wronsiski

Wood
Personally I find it really hard to heal people in the midst of battle, everyone is always moving so the only way to heal (if you don't have an aoe heal) is to stay back and set up a small healing tent making us pretty much useless, naturally I would love more AOE heals, I would like to see if it's possible to have it so the targeting boxes are larger, ( forgot to mention, once you attempt to heal with eg. Pray, if you miss your target you heal yourself and it's damn near impossible to cancel), perhaps could be solved by being able to assign a eal to a specific bind so that when you use it it can only heal other people not yourself. Get what I'm saying?

leftovers5

Legacy Supporter 8
I can't say I agree on the 33% self heal reduction at all for Bloodmages (given that the main purpose of the Bloodmage is to be a solo leech sucking energy/health from the enemies), but it is fitting moreso for Cleric and even Mystic (however, probably not necessary at this stage in Mystic's development). Disciples on the other hand are being shifted in a weird direction, it's hard to say with them, but I don't think the nerf for their solo heals needed to be 33%, a 10%-20% would've been more fitting.

AoE heals are the horizon, I'm not sure the possibility of coding that, but I'm sure it's feasible.

Roadkill909

ICE ICE ICE!
The simplest idea for a healing spell is this: use command "/skill heal <name>", then a warmup, then instant health change on that player. For the simple AOE heal it is: use command "/skill aoeheal", then a warmup, then same instant health change for all party members. I'm a cleric, so I admit possible bias, but I think that Disciples, Bloodmages, or Mystics should not get a simple AOE heal.

As I've said numerous times, healing others is a much bigger pain than it should be. Typing a command in combat is simply unreasonable, setting up and maintaining 9 item binds is a hassle, setting up key or item binds for specific players is a bigger hassle, using a bound healing skill with no name and aiming is the final headache because if you miss (and lag makes that easy) then you end up warming up to heal yourself.

Imagine if when using smite, when you missed your target you smote yourself. That's the problem with the healer skills bandage, chant, pray, antidote, and dispel. This was the reason I coded the skill Ampul (currently cleric only) which throws a potion that heals party members that are near where it lands. I hope that the staff uses Ampul, skills like it, or something else entirely to replace or provide alternatives to the simple healing spells.

Edit: Also I don't want to put words in Kainzo's mouth, but I believe he mentioned that this was a goal and that Ampul is just being playtested by Clerics first before similar implementations into the base path and other specs. I may be mistaken.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
The simplest idea for a healing spell is this: use command "/skill heal <name>", then a warmup, then instant health change on that player. For the simple AOE heal it is: use command "/skill aoeheal", then a warmup, then same instant health change for all party members. I'm a cleric, so I admit possible bias, but I think that Disciples, Bloodmages, or Mystics should not get a simple AOE heal.

As I've said numerous times, healing others is a much bigger pain than it should be. Typing a command in combat is simply unreasonable, setting up and maintaining 9 item binds is a hassle, setting up key or item binds for specific players is a bigger hassle, using a bound healing skill with no name and aiming is the final headache because if you miss (and lag makes that easy) then you end up warming up to heal yourself.

Imagine if when using smite, when you missed your target you smote yourself. That's the problem with the healer skills bandage, chant, pray, antidote, and dispel. This was the reason I coded the skill Ampul (currently cleric only) which throws a potion that heals party members that are near where it lands. I hope that the staff uses Ampul, skills like it, or something else entirely to replace or provide alternatives to the simple healing spells.

Edit: Also I don't want to put words in Kainzo's mouth, but I believe he mentioned that this was a goal and that Ampul is just being playtested by Clerics first before similar implementations into the base path and other specs. I may be mistaken.
I need more Roadkill909 developments in skills :)

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
I can't say I agree on the 33% self heal reduction at all for Bloodmages (given that the main purpose of the Bloodmage is to be a solo leech sucking energy/health from the enemies), but it is fitting moreso for Cleric and even Mystic (however, probably not necessary at this stage in Mystic's development). Disciples on the other hand are being shifted in a weird direction, it's hard to say with them, but I don't think the nerf for their solo heals needed to be 33%, a 10%-20% would've been more fitting.

AoE heals are the horizon, I'm not sure the possibility of coding that, but I'm sure it's feasible.
Bloodmage isnt fully complete atm. It will have a passive buff that returns health to all party members (including themselves) when damage is done.

jazza411

Legacy Supporter 3
I bind the people to pray who are squishy and deal damage. If they are warriors they can look after themselves ;)

STDs4YouAnd4Me

Legacy Supporter 8
I bind the people to pray who are squishy and deal damage. If they are warriors they can look after themselves ;)

As stated, this is completely chaotic. Excuse my language, but it would be a clusterfuck of keybinds to bind all your town members to Pray. Other classes don't individually use keybinds to target attack people, healers shouldn't need to keybind target-heal people. There should be healing skills designed to heal yourself (target) and designed to heal party members (AOE). As stated, this is not the case, and the class itself is broken if there's not a sufficient way to heal others.

Luckily, all this is moot as apparently the whole thing is getting looked into. Should be interesting to see the changes made.