• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

HC running slow as balls

Jack_Reacher

Legacy Supporter 7
When I connect to the HeroCraft server, I can log in just fine, but it's super slow for me. I have tried on multiple internet connections, and I know my laptop is capable of running Minecraft (although I usually have to have the distance set to 'tiny' for smoothness). Does anyone have any suggestions for increasing my speed? Hopefully the answer isn't just buying a new machine =(

Ilsyde

Legacy Supporter 4
Multiplayer always takes more resources to run, that's perfectly normal for every game. There are several things you can do to make MC (and other programs run faster)
- don't install texture packs or mods
- set render to Fast (and not Fancy) in the Options menu
- press Win+R, type msconfig, hit enter then click on the Startup tab and untick applications that don't need to run in the background
(just make sure you don't untick programs your laptop needs - though they usually come pre-install with all kinds of crap)
- turn off your firewall and antivirus before playing multiplayer
- uninstall AVG if you happen to use it
- try installing the Optimine mod that's supposed to make run MC faster (doesn't work for every setup)
- don't use wireless connection to play the game (wired is always more stable and usually faster)
- install WinXP instead of Vista or Win7 (only if you can find drivers for your laptop)
bonus: laptops aren't meant for gaming :icon_razz:

Let me know if you need any help with this. Good luck!

wolfgang784

Legacy Supporter 3
Could be your graphics card too, if it's an intel. Minecraft isn't supposed to work with them at all, but sometimes it does although it will run horribly slow.

My friend has a quad core 3ghz with 4GB and an intel card, and he can't get over 5 fps because of the card.

Doreagarde

Legacy Supporter 5
I have similar problems on my laptop, Jack, but I've found that I can still make the game not just playable, but actually quite nice. You might find that there's a lot of lag in the DH City, especially in/around Sanctum Tower (where you spawn). That's normal for v1.2 I'm sad to say, and we're hoping that it'll be fixed by next update. In any case, see if it doesn't work better after trying some of Ilsyde's ideas.

Jack_Reacher

Legacy Supporter 7
Thanks, guys. I'll try to implement your advice. And Doreagarde, I love the avatar! I'm a huge Calvin & Hobbes fan!

Jack_Reacher

Legacy Supporter 7
Mmmmm well minecraft is an ".exe" that doesn't need to be installed... right? Could I run it in a computer lab where I don't need install permissions? In that case... we have some quick comps at my university I could use.

Doreagarde

Legacy Supporter 5
You don't even need the binary: you can run it in your browser at minecraft.net .

Also, thanks! Bill Watterson was the best.