• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Guides and Proctors Killing New Players

Status
Not open for further replies.

leftovers5

Legacy Supporter 8
Hey, all. This has been an ongoing issue, and I sort of want to make a conversation thread about it, but how do people feel when guides/proctors kill and even camp new players?

I'm personally against killing the newbies, and of all people I feel it is not the guide's/proctor's place to be killing new members. These instances have been happening a lot recently, and I'd just like to raise it to the table.

Angyles

Legacy Supporter 7
Hey, all. This has been an ongoing issue, and I sort of want to make a conversation thread about it, but how do people feel when guides/proctors kill and even camp new players (you know who you are - no reason for tags)?

I'm personally against killing the newbies, and of all people I feel it is not the guide's/proctor's place to be killing new members. These instances have been happening a lot recently, and I'd just like to raise it to the table.

Heralds, Proctors, Guides and Mods are all players as well, are you stating we should not be able to play?

leftovers5

Legacy Supporter 8
Heralds, Proctors, Guides and Mods are all players as well, are you stating we should not be able to play?
Not at all, but it brings into question why guides, people who should be helping the players in question, can camp new players. It just seems ironic in a twisted way. Playing the game does not mean killing new players. This is more of a moral question, I'm not advocating intervention.

Danda

Dungeon Master Extremist
Staff member
Administrator
Guide
Wiki Team
Max Legacy Supporter
As long as the proctors and guides in question remain polite and civil as well as continue to do their job I see no reason why they should be bared from doing so.

Scycor

Legacy Supporter 3
Well, it's all part of the Herocraft experience. It teaches newbies to join a town, get some help and other things like that. I remember when I first came on this server I was never camped because I joined a town, some people just have to learn the hard way. Guides/Proctors are normal players too, just have a little more responsibility.

On the other hand I am completely against killing new players. The only time I ever kill new players is if they are taunting me or causing a disturbance near me. (A.K.A; Hitting me, Constructing a home in my swamp... You know who you are, and stealing my mobs.)

leftovers5

Legacy Supporter 8
As long as the proctors and guides in question are civil and polite in these occurrences I see no reason why they should be bared from doing so.
But when you see these players asking for help in tour chat when they're camped, there's something fundamentally wrong. I shake my head at the sorts of people that become guides and do this sort of business.

God knows that I'm all non-intervention/laissez-faire, but this does need to be brought to the table for the community to discuss.

As long as the proctors and guides in question remain polite and civil as well as continue to do their job I see no reason why they should be bared from doing so.
Also, more of a moral question, but how is constantly killing someone "polite and civil" as you said? I know you're probably referring to verbal intercourse between the two parties, but the act of killing someone, well, is quite rude, you know.

Angyles

Legacy Supporter 7
I am not going to lie, I rage a little inside when a Guide/Proctor kills someone wearing the title so some players have been removing it when they pvp.

That is of course my own opinion and since we are still players, it is allowed and the discussion is somewhat moot.

Ayohae

TNT
I understand your viewpoint, but they are allowed to do what they please as normal players. Proctors handle the whitelist, Guides provide assistance and advice to new players, Moderators handle apps, and Heralds promote Herocraft. As long as they do these jobs, they're fine. I still think that it's pretty shitty of them to do so, but that's the way of Herocraft I suppose.

The Karma system will handle a lot of this when it arrives.

leftovers5

Legacy Supporter 8
I am not going to lie, I rage a little inside when a Guide/Proctor kills someone wearing the title so some players have been removing it when they pvp.

That is of course my own opinion and since we are still players, it is allowed and the discussion is somewhat moot.
It's not moot because being a guide or proctor resigns you to a certain level of responsibility, and when that responsibility is challenged it brings question to what being a guide or proctor really is.

Tried to tag guides/proctors, but the groups were too large. :L

I_Love_Miners

Legacy Supporter 5
I'm usually pretty shocked at some of the behavior from some of the lower level staff. I feel like the players should be able to trust staff to always do the right thing/treat other players with respect, but I worry sometime there may be some biases or general dickish behavior. I think at the very least there should be some sort of minimum age for people holding staff positions. It frightens me to think that people who would be working in sweatshops overseas have any influence on major decisions regarding this server.

Angyles

Legacy Supporter 7
I understand your viewpoint, but they are allowed to do what they please as normal players. Proctors handle the whitelist, Guides provide assistance and advice to new players, Moderators handle apps, and Heralds promote Herocraft. As long as they do these jobs, they're fine. I still think that it's pretty shitty of them to do so, but that's the way of Herocraft I suppose.

The Karma system will handle a lot of this when it arrives.

Correction only I as a mod handle applications =P

It's not moot because being a guide or proctor resigns you to a certain level of responsibility, and when that responsibility is challenged it brings question to what being a guide or proctor really is.

Tried to tag guides/proctors, but the groups were too large. :L

Correct most members do not have the ability to tag staff groups.

A level of responsibility yes, but that is on the forums for Proctors and Tour chat for Guides. As long as they do not use the title to draw the new players out into the wild to slaughter it is fine.

You seem to be asking that Guides/Proctors/Mods not be considered players because of their responsibility.

leftovers5

Legacy Supporter 8
I'm usually pretty shocked at some of the behavior from some of the lower level staff. I feel like the players should be able to trust staff to always do the right thing/treat other players with respect, but I worry sometime there may be some biases or general dickish behavior. I think at the very least there should be some sort of minimum age for people holding staff positions. It frightens me to think that people who would be working in sweatshops overseas have any influence on major decisions regarding this server.
All staff positions besides herald require you to be 15 - herald requires 13.

Scycor

Legacy Supporter 3
Woops, in my last post I forgot to say whether I think they should be allowed or not.

In my opinion, no Guides/Proctors shouldn't be camping new players. Sure killing one once and awhile won't hurt, but camping them? Don't know why... But that just seems wrong to me. In fact, don't know why anyone would have a desire to camp new players... the only reason I could think of is to raise your ratio, but who cares if you earned it by camping new players?

Angyles

Legacy Supporter 7
Woops, in my last post I forgot to say whether I think they should be allowed or not.

In my opinion, no Guides/Proctors shouldn't be camping new players. Sure killing one once and awhile won't hurt, but camping them? Don't know why... But that just seems wrong to me. In fact, don't know why anyone would have a desire to camp new players... the only reason I could think of is to raise your ratio, but who cares if you earned it by camping new players?

So let's ask these questions:

• Should they only be allowed to kill a certain leveled player?
  • How long should someone be on the server before they can kill them?
  • How do they know how long the player has been on the server?
  • How many times are they allowed to kill a new player before it is considered camping?

I_Love_Miners

Legacy Supporter 5
this needs to be raised lol. i know very few people that young who are self aware enough to understand the difference between right and wrong, or for that matter, care about it. A quick glance of ban/mute appeals is evidence of that.

Scycor

Legacy Supporter 3

• How many times are they allowed to kill a new player before it is considered camping?

I'll go in point form and color them to make organization easier.

• It doesn't matter what level, as long as they could put up a decent fight.
  • I didn't mean to base it off of how new the player was, more along the lines of what level they are.
  • Second statement answers that question.
  • In my opinion, killing a player over and over again is camping... Once or twice is okay to me, but anymore than that gets to the point of camping. Of course, everybody has their opinions on that.
I'm trying to see it from both sides here. Being killed/killing is all part of Herocraft, but to me, it just doesn't seem right for someone they believe they can trust to be camping them.

I_Love_Miners

Legacy Supporter 5

I think players who hold staff positions, or wish to, should be required to ask themselves if the in game decisions they make are helping to grow the server in any way, or just pissing people off and ruining their experience. I get it, new players are going to die, as well as veterans who maybe don't like pvp that much, but when it comes to new players being camped their first impression of the server was probably really shitty because they were never afforded the opportunity to get their feet off the ground before wonderboy built up a 50 kill streak against them. I imagine herocraft has signups in the tens of thousands, and most of those people probably quit within the first 2 weeks and probably look for another server, and it's not because the server isnt good, but probably because they constantly got shit on by deplorable noob campers.

I realize you can't stop noob camping, but certain players should be held to a higher standard than others.

Status
Not open for further replies.