• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Going to attempt a dungeon...

STDs4YouAnd4Me

Legacy Supporter 8
Just letting everyone know that I'm going to attempt to make a dungeon. I know that the future plans are to have dungeons in HeroCraft, with bosses and mobs that have their own custom skillset and custom drops. Nevertheless, I'm confident I can make a completely viable dungeon system with Engineering/Mason and mob spawners. The long and short of it will be that a dungeon will have several phases, and you won't be able to access that phase until you complete the previous phase. Phase 1 would be to survive a room of spiders for x minutes. Once that is completed phase 2's doors will open. This phase can be something along the lines of throwing 10 creepers in a 2x2 of lava before phase 3 can occur. Phase 3 can be that a player has to stand on a high platform for x minutes while a ton of skeletons try to ping him off. Finally, Phase 4 can end in a wave of zombies you have to fend off for x minutes. At that point you complete the dungeon and get an inventory full of cookies for your effort, because that shit is OP.

I realise vanilla mobs aren't ideal, but until the plugin is developed to give skills to mobs, this is the best we've got.

Thoughts? Exploits? Criticisms? Let me hear them.
--------------------------------------

Edit: I've been really lazy/pre-occupied with life stuff (I got a new kitty, meow meow). I've only managed to make the 1st phase.

I realize the dungeon entrance is derpy as hell, but that's all I've got, son.

Last edited:

Dakinara

Legacy Supporter 6
sounds cool - if you need someone to stand around (or jump around) and die alot let me know.

Actually if you need help farming materials or something i can help with that too. Or can have my kid make you mason stuff if needed.

STDs4YouAnd4Me

Legacy Supporter 8

Who needs HeroBoss when you can just use both of these ICs?
http://wiki.sk89q.com/wiki/CraftBook/MC1227
http://wiki.sk89q.com/wiki/CraftBook/MC1200

I made this Zombie spawn customized enchanted armor with a Knockback 10/Fire Aspect II Diamond Sword. I can also customize the amount of Health he has. Hell, he could have been a Giant instead of a Zombie to fit more of the 'Boss' description.

@Kainzo , if both of these ICs could be restricted to an architect, or done all in Creative map and swapped into the server map, shouldn't this be done for dungeons? The possibilities are endless and you can control the amount of mobs you want in different phases of a dugeon, and how strong they are.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team

I made this Zombie spawn customized enchanted armor with a Knockback 10/Fire Aspect II Diamond Sword. I can also customize the amount of Health he has. Hell, he could have been a Giant instead of a Zombie to fit more of the 'Boss' description.

@Kainzo , if both of these ICs could be restricted to an architect, or done all in Creative map and swapped into the server map, shouldn't this be done for dungeons? The possibilities are endless and you can control the amount of mobs you want in different phases of a dugeon, and how strong they are.
we can give full reign on test server to try this out with IC's - I just don't have time.

however, Heroboss will be doing MUCH more than just spawning bosses - it will give bosses/mobs custom abilities to thwart players and have unique items dropping - amongst other things.

STDs4YouAnd4Me

Legacy Supporter 8
we can give full reign on test server to try this out with IC's - I just don't have time.

however, Heroboss will be doing MUCH more than just spawning bosses - it will give bosses/mobs custom abilities to thwart players and have unique items dropping - amongst other things.
Yeh that's cool. I have a busy work week but I'm aiming to get one of these done by Monday, if not sooner. Hopefully it'll make its way on test soon after.

Danda

Dungeon Master Extremist
Staff member
Administrator
Guide
Wiki Team
Max Legacy Supporter
Honestly staged dungeons isn't what I'm aiming for with dungeons. I find them too linear, flat and uninteresting. While yes you can do some interesting things with them but it removes all elements of exploration. I want to make open dungeons that you will need to explore, find all the locations and have multiple ways to traverse and complete them.

Also with Heroboss I'm not just looking at creating "Bosses" but I'm also looking at using it to create altered mobs to use as trash within the rest of the dungeon as well.

Have you actually tested how these changes work with Heroes?
It is entirely possible the mob health changes will not work.

Xerot

Legacy Supporter 4
I like the concept of dungeons geared more towards class builds and possibly forming a team of different classes in order to unlock the inner-depths of said dungeon. Having one rogue, warrior, mage, and healer, would be awesome. As for bosses, I kind of like the way Tekkit did things, various prefixes induce different effects on the mob, making it waaaay more dangerous.

Danda

Dungeon Master Extremist
Staff member
Administrator
Guide
Wiki Team
Max Legacy Supporter
I like the concept of dungeons geared more towards class builds and possibly forming a team of different classes in order to unlock the inner-depths of said dungeon. Having one rogue, warrior, mage, and healer, would be awesome.
Oh I agree, I really want to include parts into some dungeons that require set skills in order to progress or at least take an easier route. However I will not build all dungeons like this as not everyone has a large group of friends.

STDs4YouAnd4Me

Legacy Supporter 8
Honestly staged dungeons isn't what I'm aiming for with dungeons. I find them too linear, flat and uninteresting. While yes you can do some interesting things with them but it removes all elements of exploration. I want to make open dungeons that you will need to explore, find all the locations and have multiple ways to traverse and complete them.

Also with Heroboss I'm not just looking at creating "Bosses" but I'm also looking at using it to create altered mobs to use as trash within the rest of the dungeon as well.

Have you actually tested how these changes work with Heroes?
It is entirely possible the mob health changes will not work.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say staged dungeons. I was thinking of having them in the real world and not /dungeon. I want these dungeons to be tough to conquer and geared toward 10 player parties. Even with 10 players killing mobs the sheer number and power of the mobs will make things very difficult.

As for the mob health not working with Heroes, I guess there's only 1 way to find out (test server). Currently on the non-heroes server I make all my stuff in, the health scales as you'd expect with vanilla minecraft (health 1 gives them 1 heart, health 100 will give 100). If I set it for 4000, maybe that will be akin to 10 hearts on HeroCraft. I'll have to see on test.

Zaihn

Legacy Supporter 5
I really like this idea. The main reason is that this is something that can be done now as a temporary solution towards PVE content. Also it could provide a cool alternative to leveling and give players something else to do while we await the major upcoming changes.

These simple dungeons can also provide the admins with some live feedback on how "dungeons" will be integrated into herocraft and how the larger, more complex, upcoming dungeons might effect the server.

Danda

Dungeon Master Extremist
Staff member
Administrator
Guide
Wiki Team
Max Legacy Supporter
I was thinking of having them in the real world and not /dungeon.
Where are you getting a dungeon command from?
The plan for dungeons has and will always be to have them in the real world.
I want these dungeons to be tough to conquer and geared toward 10 player parties. Even with 10 players killing mobs the sheer number and power of the mobs will make things very difficult.
As do I but I also want content that is easier and will allow newer players to get into doing this with fewer people and a lower quality of loot.
I don't plan on having normal mobs inside these dungeons. As I said above I want to build trash mobs using HeroBoss that will have abilities, additional health and that sort of thing.
[/quote]
I'm not sure what you mean when you say staged dungeons
The long and short of it will be that a dungeon will have several phases, and you won't be able to access that phase until you complete the previous phase. Phase 1 would be to survive a room of spiders for x minutes. Once that is completed phase 2's doors will open. This phase can be something along the lines of throwing 10 creepers in a 2x2 of lava before phase 3 can occur. Phase 3 can be that a player has to stand on a high platform for x minutes while a ton of skeletons try to ping him off. Finally, Phase 4 can end in a wave of zombies you have to fend off for x minutes. At that point you complete the dungeon and get an inventory full of cookies for your effort, because that shit is OP.
This is what I mean, It's linear you are moving from one room to another with little to no exploration. While yes you can do interesting things with one or two rooms but it isn't as interesting when it's the same sort of layout over and over just with the room contents being different.[/quote]

STDs4YouAnd4Me

Legacy Supporter 8
I've only ever experienced dungeons in WOW and cubeworld, and while both were slightly different, I guess they'd both be considered linear. I guess I don't understand the alternative to a linear dungeon. 'Exploration' sounds weird when used in the same context as dungeons. How big is a dungeon going to have to be to have an exploration feature to it?

STDs4YouAnd4Me

Legacy Supporter 8
And yes, I agree with having different degrees of difficulty in dungeons. The harder it it the more rarer the drops, obviously.

Weikauno

Coder
As do I but I also want content that is easier and will allow newer players to get into doing this with fewer people and a lower quality of loot.
I don't plan on having normal mobs inside these dungeons. As I said above I want to build trash mobs using HeroBoss that will have abilities, additional health and that sort of thing.
maybe have difficulty designators that scan upon entering dungeon, that scale the difficulty depending on how many players and what level the players are? and option upon entering the dungeon to up the difficulty by intervals if the players desire a tougher challenge?