• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Funumbers

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Here's some stats as of 03/03/13;
greylisted = (56197 hits)
whitelisted = (11024 hits)
t1 - t8 supporters = (1168 hits)
total = 68389 users in the last 6 months.
(note: these numbers are only for the past 6 months and may not 100% reflect actuals)

Dsawemd

Legacy Supporter 8
Fun numbers! Lets lower the ratio of greylist to whitelist!

If we want to expand player base, we need to walk the line of carefully reducing incentives to remain greylisted, while still allowing the greylist experience to be a great one (the Hook to catch a player).

What if greylisters can only reach level 50 of a specilization? It would be game-breaking only for the 12 year olds.

MultiHeartGold

Legacy Supporter 2
Fun numbers! Lets lower the ratio of greylist to whitelist!

If we want to expand player base, we need to walk the line of carefully reducing incentives to remain greylisted, while still allowing the greylist experience to be a great one (the Hook to catch a player).

What if greylisters can only reach level 50 of a specilization? It would be game-breaking only for the 12 year olds.
Or maybe make specializing into a class a feature for whitelisted only.

WitchOnaRampage

Legacy Supporter 9
Impressive!

That's a lot of whitelisters who aren't playing regularly. How to hook them in and get them anchored into the HC community ...? (Apologies for the mixed metaphors :rolleyes:.)

Dsawemd

Legacy Supporter 8
I see people chased off the server by repetitive camping often (like once a day, maybe 5 times a week). Hurry up, karma system!

whitemagehealu

Legacy Supporter 7
I know, I know....

I get it is hardcore, but it gets a bit tiresome seeing the poor kids who want to play here get chased off by campers.

I know. I was mocking the people that's argument against something is always 'HARDCORE SERVER HURDUR DEAL WITH IT'. x)

Jack_Reacher

Legacy Supporter 7
For Whitelisters: Unless you're getting tracked ... I really don't see how it's that hard to evade "campers". If you see there are campers on a road, just take a different road out of Bastion. You aren't forced to walk into a PvP zone if you don't want to.

Once you're whitelisted, there should be far less problems. Even if you're getting camped at a graveyard, buy some redstone and recall. If you don't have the coin, vote. If you don't have a recall point - get one. If you can't even get a recall point in some remote/safe area, then that's your problem.

Diffuse

Legacy Supporter 4
For Whitelisters: Unless you're getting tracked ... I really don't see how it's that hard to evade "campers". If you see there are campers on a road, just take a different road out of Bastion. You aren't forced to walk into a PvP zone if you don't want to.

Once you're whitelisted, there should be far less problems. Even if you're getting camped at a graveyard, buy some redstone and recall. If you don't have the coin, vote. If you don't have a recall point - get one. If you can't even get a recall point in some remote/safe area, then that's your problem.
That's all fine for whitelisted players but its the greylisted players that the problem affects. The fact that they are essentially required to stay in warshard or forgelight which is easy to camp makes it near impossible for them to do anything. Afaik these worlds also only have 1 spawn point.

Saying "get whitelisted" is hardly an argument because of the fact that most players would like to see what kind of a server it is before putting the effort in to getting whitelisted. Joining a server to see how your experience might be on it and having the short time you spend on the server ruined is dumb. From my understanding, many servers employ either a greylist or no whitelist whatsoever these days and this has caused many newer players to not expect to have to try to get whitelisted right away. The fact that our server feels really hostile towards these players is not a good thing and needs to be addressed.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Honestly, this may offend a lot - but my goal is to remove the whitelist altogether. We just need to have some form of "anti-spam/hackers" - maybe require users to LOG IN and then immediately register their username to the forums via some code granted once you log in.

So people won't be able to spam the tour area / etc unless they've registered with our website. We can also restrict the greylisted access from speaking or something until they registered.

This will do some things;
1) Allow more users to play on "whitelist"
2) reduce the greylist / hacker spam

Our goal is to ramp an official, unbiased release of the server so anyone and their friends can log in and play and have a simple easy process to automatically check them in. If they don't pass the age test (must be 13+ to register) they cant whitelist.

Jack_Reacher

Legacy Supporter 7
There was talk above about reducing the incentives to stay greylisted. I didn't communicate it clearly, but I was just saying that there are already a lot of incentives to get whitelisted (e.g. it's a lot harder to get camped).

Psychokhaos

Legacy Supporter 3
That's all fine for whitelisted players but its the greylisted players that the problem affects. The fact that they are essentially required to stay in warshard or forgelight which is easy to camp makes it near impossible for them to do anything. Afaik these worlds also only have 1 spawn point.

Saying "get whitelisted" is hardly an argument because of the fact that most players would like to see what kind of a server it is before putting the effort in to getting whitelisted. Joining a server to see how your experience might be on it and having the short time you spend on the server ruined is dumb. From my understanding, many servers employ either a greylist or no whitelist whatsoever these days and this has caused many newer players to not expect to have to try to get whitelisted right away. The fact that our server feels really hostile towards these players is not a good thing and needs to be addressed.
I know for certain GY's were recently added to Forgelight, and I think also to Warshard.

WitchOnaRampage

Legacy Supporter 9
Honestly, this may offend a lot - but my goal is to remove the whitelist altogether.

I find this worrying, yes. I put it to you that just getting more players on the server isn't the same as having a healthy sustainable server community that anchors more people here.

It shouldn't be just about getting more people in - because they already number in the thousands.

Rather the focus needs to be on getting those people to stay here.

I think whitelisting contributes so much to the community:
  • it filters out many players who could cause misery
  • it gives a whole bunch of HCers, ie the Proctors, a strong sense of contribution and belonging
  • it gives new players the heads-up that they're expected to behave
  • and it gives town leaders something more to refer to when they're considering applications.
I'd say focus on what gives players a stronger sense of belonging to the community, and increase numbers through this rather than just opening the doors to anyone who walks in and is just as likely to walk straight back out again.

Eldrylars

Legacy Supporter 8
I am in agreement with WitchOnaRampage here.
Removing the whitelist will not help keep those players here that were going to leave. It will only let them cause more grief before they do leave.

Focusing on making the process easier maybe. When I was filling out my whitelist app it felt like I was applying for something that I had no right to apply for. I would say maybe make the process a little more inviting but don't take it away.

Angyles

Legacy Supporter 7
Focusing on making the process easier maybe. When I was filling out my whitelist app it felt like I was applying for something that I had no right to apply for. I would say maybe make the process a little more inviting but don't take it away.

The application process is as easy as it can be at this moment without removing the entire process. All we need is the IGN, the age and the special key. If the individual is without bans, and the age checks out they are whitelisted.

There is nothing more we can do without removing the whitelist process.