• Guest, we are doing a new map (refresh) for Herocraft. Gather your friends and get ready! Coming next Friday, 06/28/24 @ 7PM CT play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion [Forums] Make an E-bonics List

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
To be honest, its the spewing of filth that bothers me. The morons who spam, 'u mad' - etc just to incite anger.

I think the community as a whole is better off just not having it happen.
We really want to encourage intellectual conversation rather than spamming things you've seen on the internet to try and relate to others who have seen said spam on the internet.
Call me old fashion.

Jasquan

Legacy Supporter 9
To be honest, its the spewing of filth that bothers me. The morons who spam, 'u mad' - etc just to incite anger.

I think the community as a whole is better off just not having it happen.
We really want to encourage intellectual conversation rather than spamming things you've seen on the internet to try and relate to others who have seen said spam on the internet.
Call me old fashion.
Yeah, I see...
I just replied to say this -
You're old fashion, Kainzo. People in the past wore old fashion.

Teerian

Gold
I tried to let this go for a long time, but no matter how long I wait, I still can't help but stew over it...

This rule has always bothered me quite a bit. While I understand its purpose and agree that the 'u mad bro' douches Kainzo referred to in his post are frustrating wastes of... well, everything... that really have no place on the server (or anywhere), I feel that the rule is WAY too strictly enforced. (note: there's not enough caps/bold/underlining/italics to properly emphasize that.)

I am still to this day muted in tour chat for using a phrase over a month ago that I knew long before my first journey into the internet via the toaster-connection known as AOL. While it was used in a public channel, it was directed at someone who clearly knew I was just trying to get a laugh out of him. I never considered it an 'internet me.me'. Even ignoring that, I had no prior offenses of any sort, and there was zero warning given. The person I directed the comment at even happened to be a member of the staff and tried to explain the situation on my behalf. I was still instructed to appeal the mute. Sorry to disappoint, but you will not be given that satisfaction.

Considering the fact that almost all of my interactions with others in tour were attempts to help new people, having me muted there actually does the server harm in some miniscule way. If the rule is important enough for that, so be it. It's not like the server will fall apart without me talking in tour. I merely enjoyed offering information and help to the occasional overwhelmed new player.

I have seen similar if not exact copies of my situation more than once. My girlfriend, for example, was muted in O-chat for an incident that almost mirrored mine. She, too, did not consider the phrase she used to be something that would be against the rules. She also had no prior offenses and was given no warning. This is well beyond ridiculous. Muting the people who use idiotic phrases in an attempt to taunt, insult, and/or enrage other players is great, and I support it completely. Muting people who use a phrase simply for a snicker or a grin (and like it or not, there are people who do snicker and grin at some of these silly lines) in the middle of a casual conversation is going overboard.

Better judgement needs to be used when trying to enforce this rule. Slamming your fist down on that big, red 'Launch Mute' button the moment you see anything even remotely close to one of these apparently-taboo phrases just pisses off the good people of the server and helps cause a general lack of humor among players.

I also want to note that seeing this rule enforced while witnessing staff members - Kainzo included - using phrases that normal players would be muted for makes it immensely more frustrating, not to mention very hypocritical.

Angyles

Legacy Supporter 7
Teerian - You do realize we have an appeal forum correct? And you do realize that EVERYONE that has posted an appeal with a first offense has had the mute removed the day after. Neither you nor your girlfriend has ever posted an appeal, that is kind of needed but go ahead and continue to be angry over it when it is your fault.

And frankly I hold mutes in Tour a lot harsher then other chats as it is full of new members and we do not need older players promoting bad behaviour.

Like Danda said earlier, we give you guys an inch you will take a mile.

Dazureus

Legacy Supporter 4
I think Teerian has some good points hidden in his post even if he's kind of bitter. There should be some flexibility with enforcement of this rule based on the situation- who's saying it, how they're saying it and so forth.

Also I think this rule is taken overboard as it relates to fandom subculture. Specifically pony, of course. I wonder if I would be noticed by staff for freaking out over, say, Doctor Who or not... But I think that if there's stuff outside of the commonly accepted definition of internet m-emes that effectively falls under that rule it should be explicitly stated. And for the record I think the word-replacement censors are silly and, as would posting a list of things that aren't acceptable to say, cause more hassle than they do good.

EDIT: Angyles has a point with the appeal forum. If you're not willing to swallow your pride long enough to get un-muted I don't think you really deserve it.

Dazureus

Legacy Supporter 4
I am confused, what?
Discussion of my little pony is discouraged, seemingly dismissed as spam in the same way as m-emes. My understanding of things from (rather limited) discussion with Kainzo is that any fandom discussion is similarly disallowed, although it's my hypothesis that there's some bent against pony in specific.

Angyles

Legacy Supporter 7
Discussion of my little pony is discouraged, seemingly dismissed as spam in the same way as m-emes. My understanding of things from (rather limited) discussion with Kainzo is that any fandom discussion is similarly disallowed, although it's my hypothesis that there's some bent against pony in specific.

Oh I have never seen ponies discussed in game so I was way confused lol. I know it was discouraged here on the forums because of Kainzo dislike of the ponies lol.

Teerian

Gold
Teerian - You do realize we have an appeal forum correct? And you do realize that EVERYONE that has posted an appeal with a first offense has had the mute removed the day after. Neither you nor your girlfriend has ever posted an appeal, that is kind of needed but go ahead and continue to be angry over it when it is your fault.

And frankly I hold mutes in Tour a lot harsher then other chats as it is full of new members and we do not need older players promoting bad behaviour.

Like Danda said earlier, we give you guys an inch you will take a mile.

Jesus Christ. Really? Are you ever NOT condescending? Yes, I am and was aware of an appeal forum and that first offenses are typically removed after. Both completely beside the point. The point is you judged and punished too harshly during both incidents (as well as many others), and that sort of moderation can be just as damaging as none at all. If Kainzo's intent with this rule was to block out jerks and internet tough-guys trying to incite people, then you have gone well past that intent and started a witch hunt on anyone who does not speak like a fricking English gentleman conversing with his chaps over tea.

And yes, I will not hesitate to admit that I am bitter over this topic. Especially when the response above is commonplace to having a dissenting opinion to a rule or judgement. "Meh. It's your fault, not mine. My rulings are supreme and flawless, and you terrible people would run us down if we didn't slap you around anyway. Go ahead and be angry over it. Perhaps some day you won't be a drooling cretin."

Edit: And really, there's no need for me to post beyond this, especially not in my current riled-up state. I stated how I feel about the enforcement of this rule. Anything past that will just be a grumpy, needless rant. I'll read your response to the above and then do my best to let it go again. I really don't expect to see any change. I merely felt the need to get my opinion on the subject off of my chest after holding it in for so long. The only thing I'll accomplish beyond this point is collecting more punishments.

Angyles

Legacy Supporter 7
Jesus Christ. Really? Are you ever NOT condescending? Yes, I am and was aware of an appeal forum and that first offenses are typically removed after. Both completely beside the point. The point is you judged and punished too harshly during both incidents (as well as many others), and that sort of moderation can be just as damaging as none at all. If Kainzo's intent with this rule was to block out jerks and internet tough-guys trying to incite people, then you have gone well past that intent and started a witch hunt on anyone who does not speak like a fricking English gentleman conversing with his chaps over tea.

And yes, I will not hesitate to admit that I am bitter over this topic. Especially when the response above is commonplace to having a dissenting opinion to a rule or judgement. "Meh. It's your fault, not mine. My rulings are supreme and flawless, and you terrible people would run us down if we didn't slap you around anyway. Go ahead and be angry over it. Perhaps some day you won't be a drooling cretin."

Edit: And really, there's no need for me to post beyond this, especially not in my current riled-up state. I stated how I feel about the enforcement of this rule. Anything past that will just be a grumpy, needless rant. I'll read your response to the above and then do my best to let it go again. I really don't expect to see any change. I merely felt the need to get my opinion on the subject off of my chest after holding it in for so long. The only thing I'll accomplish beyond this point is collecting more punishments.

Sorry you are right, it is my fault you have not posted an appeal.

And despite what you think I was not being condescending about the appeal forum. Some people actually do not read it and see it says "Bans or mutes".

Had more written but took it out, just not worth fighting with someone who wants to be a martyr.

Teerian

Gold
As I said, I have no intention of continuing. My goal here is not to be a martyr or anything as foolish. I wanted to state my opinion and did so. I just originally didn't feel like restraining myself to merely that. I do appreciate you removing the lines about her, though. Any response made should be directed at me. I called you out. She did not.

Also, for the record, I don't believe it was pride that caused her to neglect the appeal process. It was likely more along the lines of feeling disappointed and defeated. She is nowhere near as confrontational, argumentative, and (typically, though apparently not this time) unrelenting as I am.

Paul_Bakken

Obsidian
This is one of those situations in which the Potter Stewart standard applies:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacobellis_v._Ohio

The short version: Supreme Court Justice Stewart opined that obscenity is difficult to define but, "I know it when I see it."

Not only the content matters, but the way it is used. Moreover, inasmuch as the characterization is in the eye of the beholder, the key beholder here is the owner of the server, Kainzo. We are all, after all, his guests. If someone asked you to please refrain from using certain words in his or her home -- even if it were what you thought were a common inoffensive word -- one would certainly respect the wishes of one's host. That's just common courtesy.

And THAT is what this is really about, in my opinion. The internet e-bonics usage in chat tends to be inane, annoying, or intentionally aggressive towards other players. Reducing it just helps foster a better culture on the server, which benefits everyone.

We can still be psychotically aggro against each other: Let's just be polite and respectful about it, yes?

Haxnn

Legacy Supporter 3
its still the same thing, i could still type "you mad" and get muted

Many of these things can be taken into context. If you kill someone and yell "you mad" in off topic, then you're using i-es and breaking the rules. If you are in an intelligent conversation with a person and can tell they aren't in a very good mood then it's fine to ask if they're mad because it isn't being used as a i-e and it would actually make sense. Then again, there are very few conversations that this would apply to (at least in a public chat), but it can be taken into context.

Nightroado

Obsidian
This is the issue, so many of you THINK that the phrase is the e-bonics. It is HOW you say it in most cases.

You know you can survive without saying any of these moronic phrases. Sure I joke in TS on occasion with people but I survive every day on the internet and in real life without saying these phrases. Some of you should try it.

It is asinine to answer it this way and that is why Kainzo has this rule. What is wrong with actually ANSWERING it properly? Why do you have to give an idiotic answer?

To have fun with how you say things, I guess. When I get bored while reading game text in games, I substitute words and names to make it more entertaining.

This isn't a shot at you angy, but I like the "... I survive every day on the internet..." It really paints the situation for what it is: First world countries with first world problems :p In the grand scheme of things, this rule and the friction is has caused is completely silly and I dunno why I cared so much in the first place.

F

Falker57

I think a list is needed I got warned for using one on the forums(word started with s and ended with g) and I heard the word long before I even went on the internet. If I had known that said word was an e bionic I would totally not have used it.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
We have no intent on compiling a list. I would prefer that users speak with intelligence and not mindlessly spew forth things they have read/seen over and over again.

People will attempt to "toe" any line we set - a blanket statement is bet used.

lioIIoil

Legacy Supporter 7
I just use English and i never got muted. Whats even more annoying is people raging in o about someone who combat logs or how they hate people.

A

alexhoff1

I just use English and i never got muted. Whats even more annoying is people raging in o about someone who combat logs or how they hate people.

It's not a mutable offense though, even though it continues for hours..