• Guest, we are doing a new map (refresh) for Herocraft. Gather your friends and get ready! Coming next Friday, 06/28/24 @ 7PM CT play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion [Forums] Make an E-bonics List

leftovers5

Legacy Supporter 8
Hey, all. I think making a list of all internet e-bonics somewhere on the forums would be extraordinarily helpful. I cannot tell you the amount of times I have seen people muted that have had no idea that they said an e-bonic.

Further, this would prevent the "Oh, der, I didn't know that was an e-bonic" on mute appeals because they would then not have an excuse.

Angyles

Legacy Supporter 7
Hey, all. I think making a list of all internet e-bonics somewhere on the forums would be extraordinarily helpful. I cannot tell you the amount of times I have seen people muted that have had no idea that they said an e-bonic.

Further, this would prevent the "Oh, der, I didn't know that was an e-bonic" on mute appeals because they would then not have an excuse.

Kainzo has stated in the past that he did not want a thread or a list of them.

Using common sense applies. Some of the "Oh I did not know!" were blatant internet e-bonics.

leftovers5

Legacy Supporter 8

Using common sense applies. Some of the "Oh I did not know!" were blatant internet e-bonics.
Fair enough. My main contention is that it WOULD prevent any excuses.

Angyles

Legacy Supporter 7
Fair enough. My main contention is that it WOULD prevent any excuses.

People use excuses regardless. Do you know how many private messages I receive from people claiming they did not know what they did was wrong, even though it is clearly stated in the rules?

Excuses will fly regardless if there is a list or not.

Delfofthebla

Legacy Supporter 4
Retired Staff
EDIT: Apparently the proper term for what the admins mute for is filtered to "internet ebonics". Kind of silly but whatever.

My problem with this is that it is genuinely possible for someone not to know. There are a very large number of players who do not spend their lives scouring crap, reddit, or other "internet ebonic producing"-esque websites. These people could be very unfamiliar with the typical ebonics typically used by people on the internet.

In this situation, they could simply hear a phrase or word used by a fellow townmate, and then unknowingly use it in a public chat. They are now, without question, muted. Possibly even globally muted if someone is in a bad mood.

Pardon my language, but honestly, I think the "me~me / internet ebonic" rulings are complete and utter bullshit. I understand that it is Kainzo's server and he's the one to make the rules, but it's a bit ridiculous how harshly players are treated due to the use of internet ebonics.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to see public chat become a cesspool of i-ebonic garbage consisting of several "come at me bro", "u mad?", or "that feel when..." phrases, but there are internet ebonics that are completely harmless or otherwise fine.

A good example that I witnessed just this morning is here: http://www.herocraftonline.com/main/threads/frankys-mute-appeal.32444/ Franky is a member of my town, and I was there when he was muted. I'll admit he didn't react very well to the mute, but the mute itself was very surprising and a bit uncalled for.

He was muted for saying "ermergerd" or something along those lines. While yes, I have seen this on the internet before, and known that it was a somewhat common phrase, I would not have considered it a i-ebonic. And neither did Franky. He had heard a fellow townmate say it once before in teamspeak, and so he repeated it in general chat. He had absolutely no idea that he would get in trouble for saying it. This phrase is nothing more than a distortion of an abbreviation for "oh my god"--why would it warrant a mute? Was he muted because it was offensive? Or was he muted because how easy it is to tack on the label "Internet Ebonic" to the phrase? I wonder.

This isn't the first time I've seen this happen either. I've seen it happen to other towns, and I've seen it happen to mine. I'm not really one to spout i-ebonic in chat, so I have not had it happen to me, but who's to say the same won't happen to me in the future? I feel as if I don't keep up with the latest and most popular i-ebonics, I could be muted at any time. Isn't it kind of funny that in order to be safe from a mute, you have to be an expert on the subject?

If a list cannot be made, than I'd personally just like to see some leniency on the rulings. If the internet ebonic isn't truly offensive to anyone, why is there any need to mute the player at all?

Danda

Dungeon Master Extremist
Staff member
Administrator
Guide
Wiki Team
Max Legacy Supporter
If a list cannot be made, than I'd personally just like to see some leniency on the rulings. If the internet e-bonics / internet ebonic isn't truly offensive to anyone, why is there any need to mute the player at all?
The problem is that if we give the player base a small footing they will try and abuse this as much as possible. It is far easier to manage and get the meaning across if we bar everything rather than have a minefield of things where some are ok and others are not.

Delfofthebla

Legacy Supporter 4
Retired Staff
The problem is that if we give the player base a small footing they will try and abuse this as much as possible. It is far easier to manage and get the meaning across if we bar everything rather than have a minefield of things where some are ok and others are not.
I see what you're saying here, but I don't know if that's entirely true. In the end, it's all up to the whim of whatever mod is watching the chat. If they feel that someone should be muted for it, then they will just mute them for it.

My only real desire is that there is a moment of pause before they drop the hammer. "Did they really mean to cause trouble by saying that?" "Are they being an immature punk?" "Does this actually offend anyone?" Just something more than "Internet ebonic? MUTE!".

In most cases, I imagine that the result will be the same, but a small consideration is all I really think is necessary.

Nightroado

Obsidian
I agree that the i-e (internet ebonic, obviously) issue is silly. I've fallen into this same pitfall before. I said something, don't even remember what, and was scolded for using one. When I explained this, the knowyourmeme.whatever site was linked as if I am suppose to read and memorize it like a bible in order to not have it happen again.

The whole situation was unexpected, frustrating, and made me re-contemplate whether this server was the home for me. I enjoy this server, a lot. But at times I think of certain politicians who have so much going for them but then they have a few weird plans that make people go "Woah. Steering clear of that nuthouse."

Which can or cannot be a bad thing. While the situation is annoying and time-consuming to enforce, it does steer a few bad apples away. Which what I 'think' was trying to be accomplished by this rule. However, I think it should be based upon the intent behind it rather than the actual content of i-e's.

If someone kills a player and then tells them in /ch o chat, "LOL NOOB L2P!!!!!111!!111!" then yeah, fire the mute away. It's harassment. But if someone asks "How much c do you have?" and you reply with "OVER 9000!" then while what was said was in bad taste, I don't think anyone actually cares outside of staff and staff only cares -because- they are staff.

But maybe they do, I couldn't say for sure.

thomasyeung9999

Soulsand
I agree on listing the internet Ebonics list, cause first of all, I don't know what is internet Ebonics. Second of all I don't really know what u shouldn't type in the public chat to prevent anyone from typing it, so if u can list out most of them then it can prevent most of us who read the rules and the list.

Danda

Dungeon Master Extremist
Staff member
Administrator
Guide
Wiki Team
Max Legacy Supporter
Well if you guys were to speak in plain english you would never run into this problem.

joshtsai

Legacy Supporter 2
I looked up the website that Nightroado was referring to, 75 pages of "m.emes". While you say that "Well if you guys were to speak in plain English you would never run into this problem." How can a player not aware of what is / isn't an i-e be wary off what he or she says? This plain English you speak of doesn't properly define what is and what isn't allowed. If I spoke in a higher leveled syntax, or juxtaposed my words to a way that one not at a similar level as me were to see it, they can't assume that what I had said was plain English, while comparing to an American College student it was everyday talk in the classroom.

Another thing is that many me.mes are in what I can venture to say is "plain English" . Looking at examples at the list from the website mentioned above, many do use everyday English, unbeknownst to them how can a newer player that just joined the server know what isn't allowed in our Public Chats.

Easy fix? in the EULA and ToS link players to the me.me website and tell them, while unsure about a certain phrase, always cross-reference with the database, that way no more arguments on what is and isn't allowed.

Haxnn

Legacy Supporter 3
I don't really see the need for a list to be posted on the Herocraft forums. There are many lists of i ebonics out there, so why does one need to be posted here?

Ayohae

TNT
If it's a phrase you saw somewhere on the Internet, then I wouldn't repeat it on Herocraft.

A list would only cause problems.

OysterbOy

Coal
so if i go and type "are you mad?" in public chat would i get muted? even if it was a normal question?
i know id get muted and there are so many more me.mes that are used in normal day life that would get us muted even though its plain english

Jonsoon

Legacy Supporter 8
so if i go and type "are you mad?" in public chat would i get muted? even if it was a normal question?
i know id get muted and there are so many more me.mes that are used in normal day life that would get us muted even though its plain english
"Are you mad?" is a question.
"u mad, bro?", "u mad?" are poop.

Angyles

Legacy Supporter 7
This is the issue, so many of you THINK that the phrase is the e-bonics. It is HOW you say it in most cases.

You know you can survive without saying any of these moronic phrases. Sure I joke in TS on occasion with people but I survive every day on the internet and in real life without saying these phrases. Some of you should try it.

But if someone asks "How much c do you have?" and you reply with "OVER 9000!" then while what was said was in bad taste, I don't think anyone actually cares outside of staff and staff only cares -because- they are staff.

It is asinine to answer it this way and that is why Kainzo has this rule. What is wrong with actually ANSWERING it properly? Why do you have to give an idiotic answer?