• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Engineer Detection @ lv 30

Ribido

Coal
I just got level 30 on my engineer and was excited to build some detection blocks. However, you can only build the non-self triggered detection blocks, which require the input of a clock. The clock is a self-triggered block which you don't get until level 40. Is this intended?

If so why even give detection circuits at level 30?

Just because the craftbook wiki defines their input as a "clock" doesn't meant it neccesarily has to be one. You can build a non IC clock (such as 3-clock or 5-clock) in the place of the clock IC but I wouldn't recommend it as apermanent option as it tends to cause server lag. However, you can still use the detect IC's in normal circuits.

I hit lvl 30 just he other day and have found a few really good uses for the Player Detect IC such as restricting who can activate a certian circuit to wiring doors that will only open for me. If you'd like a demonstration you can message me ingame.

Ribido

Coal
I've messed with the "personalized door lock" setup and its the primary reason why i wanted ENG. However it's really pointless at level 30 since you need to build your own 5/3 clock to make it work and must tear it down before logging. It just seems like ENG was built with the idea of "level it to 50" then do what you want.

Why use a clock? Just use a normal input. My personalized doors are hooked up to a simple pressure plate placed a block away form the door. That way it wont power the door directly and has to go through the Player detect IC, ensuring it only opens for me.

Ribido

Coal
In order for the output of the player detect IC to change it must receive a pulse of power, unless I'm doing this wrong. If it stays constant it never changes. You must be away from the block when the power is applied to it for the output to toggle low/high.

xpeterc1

Legacy Supporter 7
There is a simple setup, to easily set up a door to Detects a person hook it up too a button, that is hooked up so that the person detect you want to be detected can be the only person to open the door, then it basically turns on the door to be powered and it will trigger the clock when it goes to a high. This means the clocks turns on only when the button will press and stops when the person is not detected.
-basically a Mono-stable circuit that is edge triggered.

MoeJunur

Staff member
Legacy Supporter 9
Im at lvl 40 and the IC clock does not work!
i have tried several differnt ways, and all i can find out is that it must be broken or i'm ina bad chunk.

I have worked with several different 4/5clocks, and even direct inputs,
the direct input would be the best way to utilize until these get proper fixes.

Ribido

Coal
After much testing and frustration here's what I've learned.

-A clock is just a device that pulses at a set interval, it knows when to pulse based on server ticks (thats why its called a clock).

-You can craft a clock (search for 5 clock) using just standard redstone or using the MC0420 (self triggered).

-Any IC that requires a clock input (p-detection mc1272 included) does so because it will only check states when it
toggles from low to high power. This is why your P-detection will toggle on when you are near it and NOT toggle off. It needs another pulse (low to high) to check the state to see if you are there.

-The problem with this is pretty obvious, which is why we have self-triggered IC's. Self triggered circuits have a clock incorporated into them already, so the detection circuit just detects if you are there every 'x' server ticks (not sure the exact number) and can't be turned off. The problem is that the clock is always running and has the _potential_ for causing server lag. I know there are other servers with as many users that utilize selftriggered IC's but I'm not a server admin and won't comment on policy, I'm sure they're doing what they can.

I have a P-detection door currently working, however its far to complex and in mass, would probably cause more lag then just having the simple p-detection self triggered circuit. You use a pressure plate to provide current to the P-detector AND to on part of a 2AND IC. The other side of the 2AND is provided by the P-detection. If both are true the AND circuit provides power to the iron doors. If you use two Iron doors, annoyingly, one will be open while the other is closed at rest, so you must use a NOT circuit to invert the current and give an opposite state (if anyone knows an easier way let me know).

The result is that the state is checked for a player any time the pressure plate is pushed. Yes, it thinks you are there when you arent, but if another player shows up, the door will momentarily open, then close once the check to see if you are there is over. Again a possible exploit, but no real way around it.

Also due to the weird issue with iron doors resting at opposite states, if the server restarts, the odd resting door will default to open until current is run through it once to activate the "not" circuit (again let me know if you know how to fix this).

If anyone wants to see it, message me in game and you can see the door.

--edit--
My understanding is that ALL self-triggered IC's are disabled, can an admin confirm this? @Kainzo .