• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Encouraging new players to get whitelisted.

dils1

Legacy Supporter 7
Heres my suggestions for encouraging greylisted players to apply for the whitelist:
- Warshard is a pretty ugly world, its griefed up and doesnt really give a new player a good impression on HC, my suggestion is that the map get reset or something to make it look better for newbies.
- Have more signs around the spawns with notices to get whitelisted, and to show the fact that being a whitelisted player is a better experience than being on the greylist.
- Make a world exclusive for greylisted players, but make it small so they cant just live there

I also see far too many newbies that either havent picked a combat class or a profession, or even both. My suggestion is that before leaving the tutorial players must have picked a combat class and picked crafter. this will reduce confusion among people who rush through the tutorial.

thats all. discuss

Xargun

Legacy Supporter 9
Once the NPCs come back it should also be pointed out that the one guy in the Armory (Can't remember his name) will give new players a pack of stone equipment to start with. I didn't know this until I was already doing the quests and stone equipment wasn't much for me - but for a new player to get a full set of stone tools -- it would mean a lot.

Dsawemd

Legacy Supporter 8
the one guy in the Armory (Can't remember his name) will give new players a pack of stone equipment to start with
Strider, King of Rangers, Lord of the North, and Isuldur's rightful heir to the throne of Gondor. You owe him your allegiance. Ya know, if ur a ranger.

Eldrylars

Legacy Supporter 8
What about the idea of expanding Haven to requiring the player to attain level 5 in combat and crafting before they can leave.

EDIT: Have heroes start as crafter.. I cannot see a reason to make a player type /hero prof crafter. They already have to figure out the /hero choose <name>, why make them /hero prof crafter. Un-needed step in my opinion.

Example:
Have Haven do an inventory wipe upon leaving to Bastion/Warshard.
Lock the players level to a max of 5 combat and 5 crafter.
Build a small dungeon where new players can fight mobs as part of their graduation
Turn on block regeneration and have a quest NPC that gives an iron pick and requests 64 cobblestone for a quest crafting xp reward.
Don't allow players to leave Haven until they are level 5 in both fields.
Make two portals out of Haven to show there is a whitelist(Bastion) choice and a greylist(Warshard) choice. Make it obvious that the right answer is Bastion as a whitelisted player.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Have heroes start as crafter.. I cannot see a reason to make a player type /hero prof crafter. They already have to figure out the /hero choose <name>, why make them /hero prof crafter. Un-needed step in my opinion.

^ I want this... but I asked and its not easily "possible"

Eldrylars

Legacy Supporter 8
I could see the merit of having a "Greylisted" only world. I will need to debate this matter in my head.

For a greylisted world to work in my opinion it would have to have a level limit on it. If you could impose that then Haven would make the perfect training world!

Eldrylars

Legacy Supporter 8
Kainzo You should create another Herocraft promotional video contest and I will see if I can get a team together to write and shoot a film geared at teach the new players the basics of the server ;).
Big money prizes and cool titles such as: [Film Master] [Director] or [Horah!] would also work well as incentives to get some more awesome videos out there. :cool:

Jonsoon

Legacy Supporter 8
Kainzo You should create another Herocraft promotional video contest and I will see if I can get a team together to write and shoot a film geared at teach the new players the basics of the server ;).
Big money prizes and cool titles such as: [Film Master] [Director] or [Horah!] would also work well as incentives to get some more awesome videos out there. :cool:
That is the whole point of a herald. There are meet the class videos in progress.

mikehk

Legacy Supporter 6
^ I want this... but I asked and its not easily "possible"
what about setting crafter to default, while making all profession changes cost money. I've done it on a project server with the little starter heroes kit you have on bukkit.

lioIIoil

Legacy Supporter 7
Yeah some changes were made but we still have the same problem. Many greylisters don't want to get whitelisted because they feel fine being on the greylist. They can basically get everything except towns and access to bastion. They should be limited more. The idea is just to let them play while their whitelist app is being checked, right?

Dielan9999

Legacy Supporter 5
I also see far too many newbies that either havent picked a combat class or a profession, or even both. My suggestion is that before leaving the tutorial players must have picked a combat class and picked crafter. this will reduce confusion among people who rush through the tutorial.

We should make them /hero profession crafter during the tutorial and force them to /skill warp to get out of the tutorial. That would give them a crash course in picking a class and casting a skill.

Are there clickable signs that pick a class for them in tutorial island?

Rumblestikk

Legacy Supporter 6
I want to design a world that is so repetitive for greylisted members (I.E. Every sign they read it says to go get whitelisted) that they go insane...

Okay... maybe I'm just being cruel...

ON TOPIC - I agree with Dielan9999 - However I don't think its possible to /skill warp out, as it just takes you to spawn of the world your on.. So technically it would take you to the spawn of the Island... right?

dragonzero39

Legacy Supporter 7
Seeing how I'm the one who built Grayson, I can confirm it is not ugly, and there are many signs. Not only are there signs for most hc.to links, there are also MANY signs that emphasize the importance of being whitelisted. Grayson is a safe place with lots of signs to direct new players. Not to mention the whole tutorial has been redone since any of us played, there's now a maze with questions and information. Guides and Proctors also constantly informing new players of the benefits of being whitelisted. If Guides could see all of Grayson they would be able to understand better, but that thread died off a while ago. Anywho, new players are well informed as far as I think.

Dielan, as of hero revamp #2, all new users are already set to crafter upon joining.

Johnbaur, they are very limited. They cannot interact with any objects or people outside grayson, they cant even pick up ground items, and can only talk in tour chat. They also cannot change into any specialization while whitelisted.